Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Fiero Engine Bay, Insulation/Sound Deadening?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiero Engine Bay, Insulation/Sound Deadening? by DKcustoms
Started on: 02-20-2014 08:03 PM
Replies: 4 (1904 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 02-21-2014 07:36 AM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in the middle of my 3800 swap in my Fiero, and as I gather the money to do the swap, I am always looking for more projects I can do to my 86 SE.

After reading through the Contruction Zone today, I noticed many engine bays with bare sheet metal.
This instantly caught my eye and sparked my interest.

I am very interested in getting rid of the old insulation/sound deadening material that seems to line the engine bay of my 86 Fiero.

My question is, what are the repercussions of removing this material?
Does it quiet the engine and road noise much, if it all?
Does it protect anything against heat?
How is it secured? Just glue or are there fasteners somewhere?

Any and all tips, advice, comments are welcomed and appreciated, everyone here seems to have great ideas.

Thanks,
Kyle

Additionally, would you recommend against removing it and NOT replacing it?
I was thinking about removing it all, or at least on the 3 sides, not firewall, then using a wire wheel to remove any old adhesive and other stuffs that might be there, and then go over the metal with a matte black paint so that the engine is the eye-catcher in the engine bay, with no ugly old insulation in the way.

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 02-20-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think its on the side for sound suppression and on the firewall for both heat protection and sound suppression.
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Lizard Skin when I removed my insulation, its a spray on system that seems to be doing its job in my hi heat turbo'd engine bay.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no adhesive at all. If you drive this car rain or shine then I would remove from the sides as a minimum. It does tend to get wet and trap moisture and besides its ugly. Its all just friction fit and tears away easily, however you should wear a mask of some kind, that stuff is old and very friable and gets airborne very easily.

DF
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a fiber based insulation and attached via plastic push lock tabs. You can just grab it and yank it off. I remove the sides on every fiero I buy (the sides are more about sound vs. heat insulation). You can also remove the front, but the passenger compartment will be slightly louder and the firewall will become hotter. On long drives this can put more heat into the passenger area.

You can replace the firewall insulation with other types. Some of the best I have found is West Marine Acoustical Foam #216858. It is a multi-layer engine bay insulation for marine applications with inboard engines. It comes in a 54x32 bulk roll with a retail price is $117.99 last time I purchased it... If you only insulate to the double firewall tube, then 1 roll will cover 2 firewalls.
http://www.westmarine.com/w...rorView#.UlcvBhBWmJs

You can also put more sound deadening material on the inside of the firewall like this (cheap alternative is "Peal & Seal" roofing patch material):

On most of my engine swaps, I have started to add a smooth 2nd firewall with insulation in between the two. as it helps keep the heat and noise down, but is a smooth metal panel to look at.

------------------
fieroguruperformance.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock