Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Installing a Quad 4 into my Coupe. Dog bone question.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Installing a Quad 4 into my Coupe. Dog bone question. by Quad Raider
Started on: 02-19-2014 01:08 PM
Replies: 2 (340 views)
Last post by: Quad Raider on 02-20-2014 12:59 PM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm swapping a Quad 4 into my '87 coupe. Instead of using the front and rear engine mounts most commonly used for the Quad to Fiero swap, I'm using the mounting system from my '92 GTZ donor car. It's very similar to the way the Iron Duke was mounted in the car. I chose this route because of the parts I had on hand and because I think it makes for a much cleaner installation. One challenge is coming up with a new dog bone, since the duke's mounting point is about three inches too far to one side.

I found a photo of someone else's fabricated dog bone:

I want to make something similar, starting with an aftermarket dog bone I found at the salvage with poly bushings. I'll cut the dog bone in half, weld in a big nut and use a threaded rod to attach to the engine. While looking at my car, it occurred to me that I could just cut out the sheet metal for the stock dog bone mount and bolt or weld a new mount plate for my custom dog bone. What do you think?

I'm hesitant to cut the sheet metal, but the driver side does not have any sheet metal in the same location so it shouldn't be an issue, right?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
others have used a mount between the trans/engine. all fab'ed up, but offers great support w/out using a weak location not designed for a bone.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

others have used a mount between the trans/engine. all fab'ed up, but offers great support w/out using a weak location not designed for a bone.

Not designed for a bone? It's where the factory dog bone was located, and just like the factory dog bone it won't have to hold any weight, just keep the engine from moving back and forth.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock