Started on: 02-18-2014 08:55 PM
Replies: 21 (804 views)
Last post by: darkhorizon on 03-04-2014 08:36 PM
LoW_KeY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive talked with darkhorizon said he might be able to do the car.

but of course I'd be going to auto from manual.

I figure I have parts to sell 42.5 injectors, 2 blowers one fully ported, then the trans. I'm hoping to sell stuff to aide in funding.

I'm callin rhis my bucket list while I got one good eye I want to be terrified again before my right eye craps out. I've really debated on selling, but this I figure will be my last engine modification.

I know doing it myself would be cheaper but lack of tools doesn't he

I've thought about upgrading turbo on cobalt, but I feel fiero would be more of a blast.

------------------

3800 SC/IC Formula whines more than your girl... 12.7@113 330 HP/430TQ
08 Cobalt SS TC - ZZP tuned, K&N SRI, 6k HID's 13.31@107

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, looks like a bunch have looked but haven't really responded... Turbo costs is really up to what kind of power output you want from it, and the quality of parts you use.

Examples... Not to downplay anyone's setup or any negativity.

DH is known for the more budget minded but fast setups. I'm not sure of his latest buildup (I'll let him tell you what he has invested) But it is possible to do a build with a junkyard turbo, intercooler parts from other vehicles, some cheap BOV and wastegate, etc... as a guess... might be possible to have a decent turbo setup for under $2k

Then you have higher end builds. New Garrett/PT turbo $1600-$2400, Tial wastegate/bov ~$600-$800, PT Intercooler $750, IC core ~$150, IC pump ~$150, Piping ~$200, Exhaust ~xxx, Turbo cam, larger injectors, Intake manifold, etc....

So basically it is up to your budget and up to what power potential, I would give you a range of $2k-$6k

Good luck, looking forward to watching your build.

[This message has been edited by Nebiros88 (edited 02-19-2014).]

batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LoW_KeY:

Ive talked with darkhorizon said he might be able to do the car.
I figure I have parts to sell 42.5 injectors, 2 blowers one fully ported, then the trans. I'm hoping to sell stuff to aide in funding.

Both Great Ideas!!

if you got 3800 SC stuff you want to off I am total Game!
OleJoeDad is wanting to get his hands on my Black 87 with a 1998 GTP, the T65 HD Auto trans already, so if you got parts you want/need to sell for the Fundage. I got your back! shoot me a PM. totally thinking "fully ported" SC "blower??" is that right?? I don't know much about fixing them as breaking them. but anyway I am looking for some upgrades without going full inner-cooler, unless you have one of them too for "a reasonable price." I will Pick up all and any parts cuz last I Checked Hastings is not far at all.

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 02-19-2014).]

StreetRod4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you prefer to stay manual you the could always go f23. Whats your motivation to go turbo over a bigger cam in your current setup??
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by StreetRod4:

If you prefer to stay manual you the could always go f23. Whats your motivation to go turbo over a bigger cam in your current setup??

might give a few horsepower... turbo would give a few hundred.
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would budget 3,000 all included if you did the work yourself with quality new parts. Double that if you paid a shop to do the work (3,000). 1,500 for a backyard mechanic, min.. When I did mine, I did it myself (still not tuned yet), I couldn't afford all new so most of my hardware was higher end used. So I saved a crap load of money (doesn't help that I used two of each)

------------------

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My shop is now full for the near future, if you found a labor guy, I could easily provide all the required turbo parts for a extremely reasonable commission. The auto swap would require a mounting setup, and the wiring harness would most likely cost alot from me if I had to do it.
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still game Dark I just need a rough estimate to get me a swift kick in the butt

batousai666... I'd have no need for the IC setup either. As for a cam, tired of picking up a few here and there. I went with the N* and fully ported blower runs strong love it, but as dark said if I could hit the 400 WHP - 450 I could be set. I'm sitting pretty good, the thing is a torque monster.

As mentioned I don't have the tools or time anymore to do this I had olejoedad convert me to OBD 2, then do my TB setup. I did this car when I was 23? Now 33 and with one good eye left. II just want to crap myself to better put it when I hit the gas

so I figure sell what I got and put towards new setup to help cover costs. I've even taken on another job to of course help catch me up on medical bills and get the car done
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have never had those kind of health issues to make me think i have only one chance to do something .all i can say is go for it , if you can still see long enough to regret it that wont be a bad thing either .Plan for the worst , hope for the best .Good luck to you .
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

i have never had those kind of health issues to make me think i have only one chance to do something .all i can say is go for it , if you can still see long enough to regret it that wont be a bad thing either .Plan for the worst , hope for the best .Good luck to you .

Yeah retinopathy which essentially I'll be blind at any given moment my right eye is a ticking time bomb.

I was going to school to get my RN, I pretty much said screw it now... stress doesn't help matters. I can go on about this which really bothers me as in 2008 they reversed blind mice and 6 years later we still have nothing I call BS. Money essentially is evil and pharmaceutical companies are loving it, which in turn = no cure, but advancements in medicine always look good though right?
RobertGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

I would budget 3,000 all included if you did the work yourself with quality new parts. Double that if you paid a shop to do the work (3,000). 1,500 for a backyard mechanic, min.. When I did mine, I did it myself (still not tuned yet), I couldn't afford all new so most of my hardware was higher end used. So I saved a crap load of money (doesn't help that I used two of each)

I think your idea of quality is different than some. My turbo alone cost 2/3 your budget.

To the OP: Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick two. Find a junkyard internally gated turbo, and you could have a running turbo car for under $1000 pretty easily. So once you're over 500-1000, you can pretty much spend as much, or as little, as you like. It all comes down to who does it for you, and the quality of parts you use.
PFF
System Bot
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who ever is available to do it I'd be up for it.

I know dark and I have talked in the past on this, not sure how his schedule works or his setups? I'm willing to hit up IN, OH area too... I'll admit I wouldn't know what to do to convert it, I know turbo's revolved around exhaust setup yada yada yada. Yeah I could use the 282 trans, but I figure why grenade it when I could sell to someone who could put it to use. Fully rebuilt with 284 spider gears and the LSD, I haven't been harsh on it either as both times I went to strip I eased into first.

I'm guessing like $600 trans? 42.5 lucas injectors $100? Intercooler $300? ported blower $200 with pulley 2.8/3.0 non slip, I mean just rough estimate.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
could throw nitrous an some e85 in over a weekend, and have fun with the manual till it blows up.
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
then just have the slobalt... no fun there
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so no ones available summer'ish? or know of anyone?
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure if ZZP does that. They are in Grand Rapids.
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah been there... their turbo setup is 3 grand alone figure add trans and everything else I cant picture it being less then 8k.

had them dyno tune the car.. gone there a quite a bit

------------------

3800 SC/IC Formula whines more than your girl... 12.7@113 330 HP/430TQ
08 Cobalt SS TC - ZZP tuned, K&N SRI, 6k HID's 13.31@107

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

so no ones available summer'ish? or know of anyone?

Everyone I know of is booked up...Sure would like to be able to go full time swapping but just can't make myself do it..

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 03-03-2014).]

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea starting to see guess I'm SOL this year
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe another option is get the engine swap finished then send it out for the turbo upgrade some one might have the time for just the turbo upgrade where they do not have time for a full swap. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
motors in car. I'm just unaware of exhaust work etc. almost half tempting to keep the manual to keep it more simplistic.

I asked zzp out curiosity 6-7k low end ouch.

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 03-04-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

motors in car. I'm just unaware of exhaust work etc. almost half tempting to keep the manual to keep it more simplistic.

I asked zzp out curiosity 6-7k low end ouch.

Its literally a full swap. It would be no easier to swap your car to auto/turbo than buying a barely running stock fiero off craigslist.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock