Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  how many could use longer E brake cables but are making due with the stock ones?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
how many could use longer E brake cables but are making due with the stock ones? by woodyhere
Started on: 02-15-2014 09:40 AM
Replies: 6 (461 views)
Last post by: woodyhere on 02-17-2014 12:04 AM
woodyhere

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked in the archives to see what kind of solution might be there for the 11.25 Labaron brake upgrade. All I found was people wondering what to do with their stretched tight stock E brake cables. It would seem if some one made cables 2 inches longer than stock they could be used on stock or modified brakes. What do you think?

------------------
woodys 427

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might need this. I have 12" C4 Brakes on my 88 Fiero and that cable is a royal pain, the spring is the devil. Right now I have it off because the cable sets the parking brake when the parking brake is off.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 02-15-2014).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm kind of surprised more people aren't interested in this subject. Makes me wonder if you all have found a solution to the barely fitting stretched E brake cables? If I could see enough interest I would try and get one of the suppliers to make a run of longer than stock cables. If not, I'll just get a set made up for myself.

------------------
woodys 427

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by woodyhere:
It would seem if some one made cables 2 inches longer than stock they could be used on stock or modified brakes. What do you think?

Probably need to specify year as the cables are different between the 84-87 and 88.

If its an 84-87, then it looks like there is enough range of motion in both cables to fabricate a cable sleeve spacer (to make the sleeve longer) and a longer coupler (to connect the cable ends that are now much further apart). I did this for one of the cables on my 13" brake kit for the 88's for 1". No reason it couldn't be done longer as long as there is enough range of motion in the cable to accommodate the sleeve spacer.

Here is the cable sleeve spacer and a picture of it installed:

Here is a picture of the cable end coupler that is 1" longer (and stock one)

On my 86 parts car this is the available travel on the DS - 2" might be too much, but 1 1/2" might be enough:

The PS has way more than enough:

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

I might need this. I have 12" C4 Brakes on my 88 Fiero and that cable is a royal pain, the spring is the devil. Right now I have it off because the cable sets the parking brake when the parking brake is off.

The 88's running the C4 12" rotor upgrade should not need longer cables. The passenger side one has the least amount of slack, but it should still works when properly adjusted. If it isn't releasing, then the cable might be sticking. If it is too tight, then you could use the cable spacer and coupler I supply with my 13" brake kits on the passenger side (the DS has plenty of slack - even on the 13" kits).

------------------
fieroguruperformance.com

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 02-16-2014).]

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The 88's running the C4 12" rotor upgrade should not need longer cables. The passenger side one has the least amount of slack, but it should still works when properly adjusted. If it isn't releasing, then the cable might be sticking. If it is too tight, then you could use the cable spacer and coupler I supply with my 13" brake kits on the passenger side (the DS has plenty of slack - even on the 13" kits).

Thanks! I haven't messed with the passenger side yet, but the cables look pretty loose when I crawl under the Fiero. The driver side is the one giving me the hassle. I guess I will be ordering new cables then. Stupid parking brake. Are Raybestos Cables any good?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by woodyhere:

I'm kind of surprised more people aren't interested in this subject. Makes me wonder if you all have found a solution to the barely fitting stretched E brake cables? If I could see enough interest I would try and get one of the suppliers to make a run of longer than stock cables. If not, I'll just get a set made up for myself.

I had the same problem with the GT. I switched the rear caliper brackets to the redesigned ones that rotated the caliper by 10 degrees (?) so the cables would reach better.
See here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...314-1-048271-16.html

This looks like a much easier solution

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Here is a picture of the cable end coupler that is 1" longer (and stock one)

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-16-2014).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided to move the rear mounting points in the cradle forward 1.75 inches. I had to weld a large washer on the passenger side because there wasn't enough material in the frame at that spot for the 9/16 outer hole. The inside frame hole is 3/8ths. It looks like it should work. I have some other stuff to do before the cradle goes back in for a test fit. Thanks for all your suggestion.

------------------
woodys 427

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock