Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  SD4 IMSA Race Body - 12" wider than stock- modified for stock chassis - not mine

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
SD4 IMSA Race Body - 12" wider than stock- modified for stock chassis - not mine by fieroguru
Started on: 02-12-2014 07:15 PM
Replies: 24 (1633 views)
Last post by: kwagner on 02-15-2014 06:27 PM
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The guy selling these panels is about 2 hrs from me. They were listed 2 years ago and I traded emails with him (Jim). At that time he was asking about $8K. They are listed again, but now he is asking $3200 which is a much, much better price!

Its a DGP 12" wide race body that was modified to bolt to a stock fiero chassis. No idea the quality of work on the mod or how much more work would be needed actually attach them to a stock chassis, but they certainly are interesting. The fronts look to have the fender mounting flange, but it doesn't look like the rear clip has the mounting flange added to it. They would look great on my LS4/F40 car, but all my free $$$ is going towards my garage build.

Craigslist link:
http://cincinnati.craigslis.../pts/4328376626.html

Info from the ad:

Fiero SD4 Race Car Body not a Kit - $3200 (Florence KY.)

SD4 IMSA - GTU Race car Body built by Diversified Glass Products was never offered for the stock Pontiac Fiero. These SD4 Body panels are Modified to complete the Transformation to your 1984 to 1988 Fiero into the IMSA.
Included pictures of Pontiac's IMSA - GTU Race Car. The IMSA -GTU SD4 body is twelve inches wider than the stock Fiero body and six inches wider than the Stage III body kit no longer offered by DGP.
These SD4 body panels are modified to fit and bolt to upper stock Fiero chassis from 1984 through 1988 some modifications required.
The rear overall width is 81 inches. The Front overall width is 71-1/2 inch.
I can supply detailed installation instructions to complete the IMSA Body transformation to your Fiero.
Own History a One of a Kind SD4 Fiero.
Cash Only! No Trades.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 02-15-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a sexy looking kit.

------------------

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember when I had to give up to build the "garage. Mahall" , worth the sacrafic.

Joe
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've wanted to stick that body on my race car for a while, and that looks like a great way to do it. It's too bad I only have money for one major project at a time Maybe he'll list it again again 2 years from now for $1000 If the weather wasn't terrible right now, it would at least be worth a look.
Dave Deerson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave DeersonSend a Private Message to Dave DeersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like he bonded it all together. If he did, he ruined it for a race car as you will not be able to take it apart for repair or service( or shipping). That is the first gen body used for half a season before the nose was updated to the "aero" nose.That body also was made so the doors can open( handy for driver changes in long races ),and the blueprints for the Pontiac Motorsports chassis show door hinges. Given the very limited market for parts like these, I'd offer a grand if you can fit/use it for your racer. The crating/shipping is going to be the sticking point here if he indeed bonded the nose and tail together.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah it would definitely be a "drive down, take a look, and maybe bring it back" rather than ship it. I know it's not the most efficient body made for the fiero in terms of aerodynamics and such, but I've always liked the way it looks on the SD4

I'm curious what happened to the rest of his fiero stuff to have that body lying around.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, its 2 hrs from me and I could bring it home quite easily, I just don't have the space right now and really don't need the financial distraction (would rather buy another piece of equipment for the new garage).

The guy used to be into F40 replicas and a couple of years ago he sent me some pictures of his various Fiero toys and past projects. He probably is just getting tired of looking at it or wanting the space for something else. If it had been made with the 87/88 fascia styles, then it would much more difficult to pass on it...
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not bad, I've always liked the banshee kit. If I ever get another IMSA it will be one of these.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-13-2014 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
If it had been made with the 87/88 fascia styles, then it would much more difficult to pass on it...

It does look like it would be very easy to cut the bumperpad nose out and fit an 87/88 nose in there, though.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
It does look like it would be very easy to cut the bumperpad nose out and fit an 87/88 nose in there, though.

Except no one makes a fiberglass version of the 87/88 fascias. If I were to get the panels, they would be on a street car that I would drive often, so bonding the urethane fascias to fiberglass wouldn't hold up, they would need to be fiberglass... and making molds to make my own fiberglass versions would just be too much work..
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, he wasn't interested in a grand for it, but he did at least write me back and say "no thanks". Oh well, I've got plenty of other projects to spend my $ on.
PFF
System Bot
Dave Deerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave DeersonSend a Private Message to Dave DeersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who could he sell it to?? If it was for a Vette, Honda, Audi, or something more popular, he could wait it out for his price. However when you are holding onto 30+ year old outdated race parts for a Fiero that are damaged from attempted installation,you take what offers come in. I would think a grand to be a fair offer. Heck, I know of a complete carbon/kevlar trans am body for an Olds Cutlass for $1,800. Race parts like these just don't hold onto their value.
On another note, I don't think you could put a later nose on those fenders. I think when they went with the aero nose restyle, the doors no longer opened, so the doors,rockers and fenders were all different. But, it is fiberglass,so with a little cutting, bonding,sanding and itching, anything is possible. I know of a few guys with the mold for the race nose if that helps. Just remember that the rear quarters might have a different side "moulding" profile.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-14-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Deerson:
On another note, I don't think you could put a later nose on those fenders. I think when they went with the aero nose restyle, the doors no longer opened, so the doors,rockers and fenders were all different.

Any Fiero nose can be mounted on any Fiero. The fenders doors, and hood are the same for all years. The only difference between any of them are whether they have the ground effects or not, and whether they have rounded modling or not.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any Fiero nose can be mounted on any Fiero. The fenders doors, and hood are the same for all years. The only difference between any of them are whether they have the ground effects or not, and whether they have rounded modling or not.

I think he was referring specifically to the race car bodies. The panels changed when they added the aero nose, meaning the aero nose probably doesn't match up to the older parts.

Edit: also, thanks for the info, Dave

[This message has been edited by kwagner (edited 02-14-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-14-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:
I think he was referring specifically to the race car bodies. The panels changed when they added the aero nose, meaning the aero nose probably doesn't match up to the older parts.

Edit: also, thanks for the info, Dave

The GT nose? There weren't any IMSA cars with the 87/88 coupe nose were there? Yeah, the GT aero nose would need other changes than just cut and fit where the different parts are "glued" together on that front end. We were talking about the coupe nose though.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The GT nose? There weren't any IMSA cars with the 87/88 coupe nose were there? Yeah, the GT aero nose would need other changes than just cut and fit where the different parts are "glued" together on that front end. We were talking about the coupe nose though.

Whoops, got my conversations confused an IMSA with a coupe nose would look odd
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-14-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

Whoops, got my conversations confused an IMSA with a coupe nose would look odd

Did you look at the first post in this thread? It's a notchback IMSA body with the bumperpad nose.

It doesn't look odd at all. A completed car would look something like this:

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Except no one makes a fiberglass version of the 87/88 fascias. If I were to get the panels, they would be on a street car that I would drive often, so bonding the urethane fascias to fiberglass wouldn't hold up, they would need to be fiberglass... and making molds to make my own fiberglass versions would just be too much work..

look at the very bottom of this page
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:
look at the very bottom of this page

That is the Aero GT fascia.

I want this fascia made in fiberglass:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 02-14-2014).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want it. But I am not paying anything near what he is asking.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, my bad....
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This may sound crazy but bear with me. If you were to take the existing front nose, and carefully cut out the turn signal mounts, then cut out the bumper pads and flipped them inside out... You could bond it all back together and get the coupe look your after without making a new nose from scratch.

It would take about ten hours altogether, if you know your way around fiberglass.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:
This may sound crazy but bear with me. If you were to take the existing front nose, and carefully cut out the turn signal mounts, then cut out the bumper pads and flipped them inside out... You could bond it all back together and get the coupe look your after without making a new nose from scratch.

It would take about ten hours altogether, if you know your way around fiberglass.

Yes it is crazy. The pockets for the marker/turn signal lights would be all wrong - the walls surrounding the lights would be pointing out of the car, not inward towards the lights.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Yes it is crazy. The pockets for the marker/turn signal lights would be all wrong - the walls surrounding the lights would be pointing out of the car, not inward towards the lights.

That's why I said cut out the housings before you cut out the bumpers. So you would be able to keep the housings the right way. If you test fitted it before hand, it would line up perfectly.

Edit: I just checked my other post, I meant to say housings or shields.. But called them turn signal mounts.. But that's the idea.

[This message has been edited by Custom2M4 (edited 02-15-2014).]

kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you look at the first post in this thread? It's a notchback IMSA body with the bumperpad nose.

It doesn't look odd at all. A completed car would look something like this:

True, I guess it's not that different from the 84. I still think it would look odd but just because I'm not used to seeing it in pictures. Like a coupe with the fastback on it. It's been done, but it still looks odd to me because the majority aren't like that.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock