Started on: 02-12-2014 09:50 AM
Replies: 25 (655 views)
Last post by: topcat on 02-15-2014 09:28 AM
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://corvettemuseum.org/e...s/media/sinkhole.htm

A sink hole swallowed 8 corvettes...

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the odds! Wierd, wonder whats under that museum a spring or something?
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

What are the odds! Wierd, wonder whats under that museum a spring or something?

In Southern Illinois sink holes are often caused by abandoned mines, many of which are not well documented. Near Springfield IL there is an entire neighborhood that pretty much had to be abandoned only a few years after it was built.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The museum is located in a karst area that is active.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The museum is located in a karst area that is active.

Exactly. More specifically, Mammoth Cave!
robiwon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just saw this on Autoblog. That really sucks. So many good cars gone!
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if they can get some of those cars out of it.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I wonder if they can get some of those cars out of it.

I would think they will, but I also hope they fix some, or auction them
(Though I cant afford any)

But my guess is the building will have to be condemed?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 02-12-2014).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the mine shaft, given the location. My house was built on top of an old coal mine entrance, that I learned 35yrs after buying it. That explained all the foundation problems my neighbors and I have had.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very, very lucky it did not happen while people were inside !
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

Exactly. More specifically, Mammoth Cave!

No, the Flint Ridge / Mammoth Cave system is about 30 miles north and east of the area. There is a cave in downtown Bowling Green, however, and many other caverns in the immediate area.

PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see a new business opportunity- Corvette Caverns!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

I see a new business opportunity- Corvette Caverns!

haha!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think if I was to build anything myself, Id have a ground penetrating radar survey done on the property first. This is happening more and more, and in more places. I read in many places, insurance companies wont cover it because its an act of God. Wonder how long before they offer sinkhole coverage ?
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GM plant is just across the road. Bet they will be seismographing the area around the plant real soon.

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 02-12-2014).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like they cold get a couple back, in fixable shape at least.....

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figure all the cars will be salvaged. There are 3 that can easily be repaired and the others hold enough value that I expect that they also will be restored by someone.

It could have been a mine, cave or stream under the place and was just a freak thing. These things can happen no matter what you do.

I would not be surprised if they do have to rebuild the whole place. But they will rebuild.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1st one in the hole was a DGP built body car and it is completely gone now. Rick B

[This message has been edited by SuperchargedV6 (edited 02-12-2014).]

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was the ghost of John DeLorean. He did it.
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bunch of videos here, including a quadcopter with cameras going into the sinkhole.

http://www.autoblog.com/201...rity-camera-footage/

------------------
Anthony

'88 Fiero GT 5-spd "barn find"
2012 NASA SpecE30 National Champion
www.DriveFasterNow.com

PFF
System Bot
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We at N.T.F.C. were able to make it on our way back from indy. While Im not a big vette fan this is very sad. It claimed the main one I liked. The black zr1 spyder. From the videos at the link, this isnt over! You can see lots of caves in there! Looks like there is a white one pretty far down in there. From what i see only 3 MAY be salvageable. The blue,maroon,and black ones. The zr1 is buried to its left rear quarter panel. So sad indeed.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We've been at that museum and its a very big and educational place. Its too bad so many pieces of history were lost. Good thing that this could never happen at the Fiero Museum.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heard on the News this morning that all cars are being extracted from hole and being sent to GM's Warren Tech Center for full restoration (on GM's dime).
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
Good thing that this could never happen at the Fiero Museum.

They can't have sink holes in Davenport IA ?

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased a 2013 Z06 few weeks ago and a one year membership to the Corvette Museum came with the car. I had planned on making the trek to the museum this summer. Good to hear that GM is going to repair the cars. I am sure the private owners are somewhat relieved.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock