These rims wont fit will they? by FieroCanada
Started on: 02-11-2014 12:45 AM
Replies: 30 (648 views)
Last post by: jwct7 on 02-12-2014 05:43 PM
FieroCanada

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just seen some grand prix gxp rims and thought they would look pretty good on a fiero,
will they fit? i got a 85 se

[This message has been edited by FieroCanada (edited 02-11-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope...those are 5x115. The Fiero is 5x100.
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Nope...those are 5x115. The Fiero is 5x100.

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could change your bolt pattern, its a lot of work... Unless you need wide wheels for a widebody, its not worth it.

...The wheels would fit on my car... (insert mad scientist laugh)

------------------

FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

You could change your bolt pattern, its a lot of work... Unless you need wide wheels for a widebody, its not worth it.

We'll I do have big future plans so maby this will come with it to..
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroCanada

195 posts
Member since Sep 2013

Just noticed your location to, I'm a province over in sask haha
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rims will fit. They aren't too large a diameter. But the wheels won't as they're the wrong bolt circle.

You can of course do hub swaps or such to get the larger bolt circle if you really want to. Then the wheels will fit, along with the rims.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

The rims will fit. They aren't too large a diameter. But the wheels won't as they're the wrong bolt circle.

You can of course do hub swaps or such to get the larger bolt circle if you really want to. Then the wheels will fit, along with the rims.

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, those rims could fit.

Its called a Wheel Adapter.
It allows you to go from one bolt pattern to another, but of course it will make your offset that much greater.

Here you go.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Isnt the rim a part of the wheel ?......or are you calling tires 'rims' ? Ive always thought a wheel (AKA rim) was the center and rim as one part except in the case of wheels that come apart. The center is the part that bolts to the hub and the rim is the finished outside edge that the tire mounts to.

Yes you could get adapters that either cost as much a new correct wheel, or take your life in your hands with cheaper adapters.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 02-11-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Isnt the rim a part of the wheel ?......or are you calling tires 'rims' ? Ive always thought a wheel (AKA rim) was the center and rim as one part except in the case of wheels that come apart. The center is the part that bolts to the hub and the rim is the finished outside edge that the tire mounts to.

Yes you could get adapters that either cost as much a new correct wheel, or take your life in your hands with cheaper adapters.

A rim is as much a part of a wheel, as a rim is as much a part of a drinking glass. You don't call your drinking glasses "rims" so why would you call your wheels "rims" then?

The entire thing is a wheel. The outer edge is the rim, whether it's on wheels, glasses, or the Pacific Ocean.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 02-11-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The words "rim" and "wheel" are the same thing, they both refer to the metal circle that the tire mounts to and that mounts to the hub of the car.
Tomato, tomatoe, some people say rim, others say wheel.
If you want to be specific, like dobey said, the rim would be the outer part, technically.

Yes, you could get a new correctly spaced wheel, but the wheel that the OP was looking for aren't sold anymore, so that option isn't valid.
I don't really know what you mean, but those adapters I linked to are $75.00 for 2, made out of Billet Aluminium. That's not cheap.
I know people who run adapters for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues, so I don't know what you're afraid of.

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 02-11-2014).]

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Darth Fiero is running Bonneville 17x8 wheels with 5x115 bolt pattern on his Fiero.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/090358.html

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A rim is as much a part of a wheel, as a rim is as much a part of a drinking glass. You don't call your drinking glasses "rims" so why would you call your wheels "rims" then?

The entire thing is a wheel. The outer edge is the rim, whether it's on wheels, glasses, or the Pacific Ocean.

The part you wrote, as I understood you, was the rim would fit the car, but the wheel bolt pattern wont fit. That sounds like you mean the rim is the tire...saying the tires will fit but the but the wheel center wouldnt bolt up. Yes I call the whole metal piece (or pieces) a wheel...some do call that a rim. I never heard anyone call a tire a 'rim' hence my confusion. And...technically, the outer edge is generally called the lip, and the whole 'barrel' is the rim minus the center . In other words most wheels consist of a center ( hub, w/ mounting holes) and a rim (barrel) which does have a lip. Some rims/wheels can have a tire completely mounted and inflated without a center at all (ie/ 19.5s) If I missunderstood you, my fault.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 02-11-2014).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCanada:

Welcome to shopping for Fiero wheels!
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

Actually, those rims could fit.

Its called a Wheel Adapter.
It allows you to go from one bolt pattern to another, but of course it will make your offset that much greater.

Here you go.

Should actually be this set for 5x100 on vehicle to 5x115 on wheels:
http://www.prowheeladapters...1-wheel-adapter.html

FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Darth Fiero is running Bonneville 17x8 wheels with 5x115 bolt pattern on his Fiero.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/090358.html

Wow those really do look nice. Might have to buy some wheel adapters then
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Should actually be this set for 5x100 on vehicle to 5x115 on wheels:
http://www.prowheeladapters...1-wheel-adapter.html

Good catch, thank you.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are any of you ever considering the weight of these oversize wheels and tires and the negative effect it has on acceleration from a standing start?
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCanada:

Wow those really do look nice. Might have to buy some wheel adapters then

Note in the thread that he has made some accommodation for front tire rub due to the adapters and wheel width.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The part you wrote, as I understood you, was the rim would fit the car, but the wheel bolt pattern wont fit. That sounds like you mean the rim is the tire...saying the tires will fit but the but the wheel center wouldnt bolt up. Yes I call the whole metal piece (or pieces) a wheel...some do call that a rim. I never heard anyone call a tire a 'rim' hence my confusion. And...technically, the outer edge is generally called the lip, and the whole 'barrel' is the rim minus the center . In other words most wheels consist of a center ( hub, w/ mounting holes) and a rim (barrel) which does have a lip. Some rims/wheels can have a tire completely mounted and inflated without a center at all (ie/ 19.5s) If I missunderstood you, my fault.

You misunderstood yes.

The wheel is the entire thing. The rim is the outer edge, or indeed, the barrel the tire mounts to. I would never refer to the tire as the rim. The tire is the tire. The lip is the inset on the outer face of the wheel.

Yes, it is very common now in the US for people to incorrectly refer to wheels as "rims." And every time I see/hear it used that way, it just gets more annoying.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:
The words "rim" and "wheel" are the same thing, they both refer to the metal circle that the tire mounts to and that mounts to the hub of the car.

They are not the same thing. "Rims" used to refer to the whole wheel is a product of ignorance and sadly has spread throughout the US as colloquially valid.

If you want to learn the hard way, go to a bicycle shop and buy some rims for your bike. Then try to mount them without the spokes and hub.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good lord... are you two really having this conversation?
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I second that ^^^

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They are not the same thing. "Rims" used to refer to the whole wheel is a product of ignorance and sadly has spread throughout the US as colloquially valid.

While your convincing the country to use correct terminology... Get the wanksters to pull up their damn pants and wear a belt. Cheers.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
second that on the whanksters, when I see it it makes me want to give em a wedgie.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-12-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

While your convincing the country to use correct terminology... Get the wanksters to pull up their damn pants and wear a belt. Cheers.

I'm just waiting for them all to shoot each other.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can mount a tire to a bicycle wheel/rim and inflate it without spokes and a hub....just sayin.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-12-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You can mount a tire to a bicycle wheel/rim and inflate it without spokes and a hub....just sayin.

Yes. But you can't mount it to the bicycle. And it's not a wheel without the spokes and hub, it's just a rim.

Just sayin.

But nobody was talking about mounting tires in this thread.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
jwct7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwct7Send a Private Message to jwct7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of Koenig Incident wheels and tires, check the Mall for ad. Can send a pic to your email if you send it to me.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock