Started on: 02-08-2014 07:31 PM
Replies: 7 (667 views)
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 02-10-2014 06:44 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to show off my cradle dolly when I had my engine out in December. I tried using the dollys from China Freight and they got me by for several swaps and maintenance purposes. I didn't like how low they were and the cradle was never well balanced on it. I decided to make something more permanent and purpose-built for the job. I just used some scrap 4x4s and 2x4s. I took the casters off one of my old furniture dollys. This worked much better. It supported the cradle much better and acted as a platform to jack up when I put the cradle back in. Also, one of the things I hated about the low furniture dollys was that the control arms and brake discs would drag the ground. This one is high enough that that isn't such a problem anymore. I don't remember if it completely eliminated that problem but it was much improved. Here's mine. Feel free to post pics of yours.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks great! I usually lay 6 foot 2x4 across the furniture dolly to support the control arms and keep them from sagging or dragging. I actually had a tripod seal slip off one time because of the drooping control arm.

------------------

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like mine. 2x4's and casters from Home Depot. Built to do a 3800 swap, but used extensively to do the 4.0 swap.

(It's under there somewhere)

Bob
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^
LOL! That's crazy how much they look alike!
87FieroSport

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But how does it fit with the engine hoist under the car? I ran into that problem several times.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87FieroSport:

But how does it fit with the engine hoist under the car? I ran into that problem several times.

Hook the cherry picker to the trunk latch and position the two forks of the base on the corner of the cradle dolly.

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87FieroSport:

I never felt comfortable with the latch. I used the cross support in front of the trunk, hooked on either side. I also had a large lift, in which the arm was long and the legs fit on either side of the dolly.

Don't have access to the lift anymore, so I'm not sure what I will do if the engine needs to come out again.

Bob
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have thought about modifying my dolly by removing the rearward cross beam and moving it inbound toward an I-beam position in the middle. Maybe not perfectly in the middle but just inward so the hoist could easily fit up against it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock