Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any reason I should put all new intake gaskets on?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any reason I should put all new intake gaskets on? by THE HONN FAMILY
Started on: 02-02-2014 09:18 AM
Replies: 5 (202 views)
Last post by: BrittB on 02-02-2014 08:16 PM
THE HONN FAMILY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE HONN FAMILYSend a Private Message to THE HONN FAMILYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My sons 87GT has been undergoing daily improvements for 2 straight months since it was purchased. I need to install a fan switch at the front of the engine and I also bought a complete intake gasket set from felpro. The kit includes the valve cover gaskets which is a plus. Now there are no leaks in the intake so I really don't know if I should tackle it. It does however look to be easier to do valve cover gaskets and the temp sensor.

If I do take everything apart, what else should I do under there that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Stacey

------------------
( Create a team, analyze, make a plan, then ask the wife if it's OK.)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apply the old saying " If it ain't broke, don't fix it ".
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The valve cover gaskets...
You will need the thick rubber ones. They're usually blue or black.
Don't use the cork valve cover gaskets. They are designed for the stamped tin valve covers. Not the cast aluminum ones that we have.
The only sealer that you will need is a small dab where the intake meets the head. They don't always line up, exactly.
Make sure the valve cover bolts all have the plastic washer in place. If not, they will probably leak.

It's much easier to do valve cover gaskets with the upper and middle intakes removed. In fact, it's just about impossible to do them without removing the intakes.
Do NOT remove the lower intake unless there is a problem (which I understand there isn't.)
Since you've already got the intake gaskets, it wouldn't hurt to replace the ones that are removed, although I have reused them if they weren't cracked or chipped.

Be careful not to drop any gasket fragments (or bolts) down the ports. It's easy to do. (Don't ask how I know this. )

You will need to remove the fuel rail in order to remove the middle intake. The injectors are clipped into the fuel rail, so everything will come out as an assembly. You will need to unscrew the cold start injector tube from the fuel rail, or unbolt the cold start injector from the end of the lower intake. Either way is not a lot of fun.
This would be a good time to have the injectors flow tested if there is any question about their condition. (If the car runs well, I'd be tempted to not mess with them.)
Inspect the injector O-rings for abrasions or cuts before reinstalling the injector/fuel rail assembly. (Some will say they need to be replaced, but I don't do that if the old ones look okay.)
Wipe a little bit of engine oil on the O-rings, when plugging the injectors back into the manifold.
------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-02-2014).]

THE HONN FAMILY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE HONN FAMILYSend a Private Message to THE HONN FAMILYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Radar, lots of info I was looking for. (what a great site) Stacey

BTW, I inadvertently dropped a large lock washer down a tunnel ram intake on a fresh engine. Thought I spun a bearing. Pulled it apart and found lock nut in-bedded in the top of the piston. Doubled the price of that project! Always stuff your open holes! Stacey

------------------
( Create a team, analyze, make a plan, then ask the wife if it's OK.)

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't necessarily have to replace the upper/middle intake gaskets, unless they're damaged or leaking.

Sometimes, they tear apart when you pull the intake off, in which case they need to be replaced. You can prevent that from happening in the future by spreading a thin coat of engine oil on the gasket. It won't affect the seal, but will keep it from sticking to the metal. Just to specify, you can only do this with the upper and middle intake gaskets.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 02-04-2014).]

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't do it unless you have to, I second the saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it!".

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock