88 GT 3.4 Swap by ragging_fiero
Started on: 02-02-2014 12:57 AM
Replies: 20 (1352 views)
Last post by: ragging_fiero on 07-29-2014 12:29 AM
ragging_fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm starting my official 88 GT swap I recently bought a 3.4pr and it is disassembled right now. I have plenty of photos and would like to know how to put them on since I have no clue how to put them on.

If someone could help me on putting pictures on that would be great!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Everything you need to know is here... PIP
ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just recently figured out how to upload photos because of fellow member Patrick

Thank You!

These are some photos of my 3.4pr that I got from a guy it come out of 95 camaro he said it had over a 160,XXX on it. It was a crazy time trying to get it into the truck. I've had it for a month or so now and I've been working on it off and on. Plan on making it into a sort of sleeper, the 88 I have has the automatic and I plan on swapping in a 4T60 in for it. Without the overdrive it really sucks the fuel.

I'll get some photos of it tore down soon and whatever progress I make!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ragging_fiero:

I just recently figured out how to upload photos because of fellow member Patrick

Thank You!

You're welcome!

Don't be afraid to make the next images a little larger. They can be up to 1024 pixels wide and the file size can be up to 300 kb.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4T60's are nice if it's a good one. I'm pulling mine this spring for a different one that shifts better. Mpg is much better.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just some more photos on what I have been doing the past couple days because of the snow. So NO SCHOOL!!

I recently got back my Manifolds. Heres where the long process of porting begins!

Heres some Camaro motor parts if anyone needs any!

I finished one hole on the Exhaust. Or at least the one I had a picture of.

Heres a comparison of the old and new!

Heres the engine as a bare block waiting to be taken to the shop.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I recently got back my Manifolds. Heres where the long process of porting begins!

My buddy has a Hole Saw kit (similar to what's pictured below) which includes a cutter which is the exact same size as the inside of the manifold ports.

You may not wish to hear this, but it takes about ten seconds per port to do a perfect job! I'm not kidding. I'm surprised more people don't use this method.

ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

My buddy has a Hole Saw kit (similar to what's pictured below) which includes a cutter which is the exact same size as the inside of the manifold ports.

You may not wish to hear this, but it takes about ten seconds per port to do a perfect job! I'm not kidding. I'm surprised more people don't use this method.

Really i wished i had that earlier! Ohh well i just gonna have to keep at it!
ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!

I've been really busy with school and what not. The snow storm last week has helped with funding my fiero swap. I've been also trying to get my teachers old jeep up and running again. Today i got the motor from the local motor shop and brought to my friends place to figure out what it needs.

The engine is from an old 1964 Jeep and so far its costing a lot to get this thing rebuilt since many just drop a V8 in the jeeps now. Also i dropped my motor off to get it cooked and cleaned as well!

Any thoughts on what type of pistons i should get??
ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump! I went to the World of Wheels car show in Kansas City and there was a fiero there!!!! I didn't get pictures of it but it was really nice!

Anyways after that i drove home and cleaned my car since it needed it badly and it was fairly nice out!

Big Difference Dirty vs.Clean

ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump! I got my motor back from the motor shop! They put the freeze plugs in and the Cam Bearings and cooked and cleaned it. I know it took a while but they were extremely busy and I had other projects going on.

I rebuild motors and sell them for a profit later and its gotten me to know my area better and it keeps me out of trouble

It really looks great now! Before it looked horrible gunk and grime and what not everywhere. I just need to hone the cylinder walls.

So i'm looking for pistons now and i would like to get some opinions on what i should get. I thought about these from summit racing. http://www.summitracing.com...rview/make/chevrolet

I would like to know if anyone else has any ideas!
PFF
System Bot
ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't been on in a while. I still need inputs on the pistons, i haven't been able to figure out what i quite need. Also i had a busy weekend, i bought a complete engine and transmission along with cradle.

It's a big piece for my project, i found a 4t60 out in Topeka and the guy was nice enough to drive it to Missouri. Anyway, it has a little over 5,000 miles on it and got a great deal as well on it. Now i need to get a couple things changed and looked at and it shoudl be able to get going soon.

Also, the 3800 motor is for sale and the cradle as well. I had to buy everything in order to get the transmission. It has the same amount of miles as the transmission!

ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump, also the 3800 motor is for sale!
ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't been on my thread in a while, well I've recently bought a rebuild kit from a guy in Liberty. It came with a Hi-Volume Oil Pump, Double Timing Chain, Full Gasket Set, Bearings, etc. I bunch of goodies that I've needed. I also bought a set of Studs that will allow me to use Full Roller Rocker arms on the Fiero heads.

Otherwise i'm still searching and working to find more parts. Some pistons, cam and rocker arms are all that are needed for the engine now.

Thanks!
ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't been on my thread in a while but here is one of the valve covers as it lays. Before school got out i went to the tech room and sandblasted it a bit.

ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ragging_fiero

146 posts
Member since Aug 2013
Here are some before and after photos. I used some hand cleaner to get the majority of the dirt off, then i used a wire brush to get the paint off so i could get the bare metal.

I'm thinking black valve covers or maybe back to the "close" factory orange-red.

ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ragging_fiero

146 posts
Member since Aug 2013
Here are some before and after photos. I used some hand cleaner to get the majority of the dirt off, then i used a wire wheel to get the paint off so i could get the bare metal. It takes a while to get almost all of the paint off as the wire can only go so far. I believe that is as clean as i'm going to get with it.

Theres also the finished product of both at the bottom.

I'm thinking black valve covers or maybe back to the "close" factory orange-red.

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would like to know if anyone else has any ideas!

Looks like you're doing a Really Nice job so far . I'd paint the valve covers red or silver and stay away from black and darker colors that will hold heat. I used a dremel tool with wire brush attachment to polish the passages in the intake manifolds.

I started modding when I had a 3.4 conversion done and ended up spending waaaaayyyyy too much for what i ended up with. The 3.4 is a really nice motor and it looks like you're on the right track. I'd put it all back together stock or mostly stock and enjoy it while you get ready for a more substantial upgrade like a 3800SC or v8.
ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently got my 272 cam last week! Another piece done!

ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been keeping busy, i finished the other exhaust manifold. I also have started cleaning the heads and will continue on to porting and polishing them.

I am concerned a bit on how exactly to port them.

ragging_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've recently cleaned up some more parts and have successfully ported and polished one of my heads and need to do the other. I also had a friend of mine paint my exhaust manifolds too! Then i had my friends dad put the pistons on the rods at his shop. Will need to paint the middle intake, thinking black.

I've also run into some trouble on the lower intake as a bolt for the thermostat housing got stuck. I had to drill it out and had to us a tap and die set to correct the issue.

Also got more parts and will update with photos to those whom are reading!

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock