Snow Driving in the Fiero by Str8lineJKing
Started on: 01-31-2014 06:42 AM
Replies: 34 (1345 views)
Last post by: BrittB on 02-26-2014 08:07 PM
Str8lineJKing

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Post pictures of your Fiero out playing in the snow! Got hit by the Snow storm on the east coast earlier this week. Figured id post this picture that was snapped of me by my grandfather.

------------------
1984 Pontiac Fiero SE Silver 2.5l 4-speed 4.10
1980 Chevrolet Citation Primered 2.5l Auto
1999 Kawasaki Drifter VN1500J Deep Gooseberry Purple
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic VN800B Candy Red

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mera and IMSA are both covered in it.

Wait a sec.. you have a citation to?

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 01-31-2014).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good pic
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, your cars even painted in white camo....
Str8lineJKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Mera and IMSA are both covered in it.

Wait a sec.. you have a citation to?

Yes I do. It was my first car. Pulled the engine to have as a spare for the fiero. But haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the rest of it yet.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't mind finding one someday, it would be fun to do some cool stuff to it!
dajack761

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dajack761Send a Private Message to dajack761Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Altho...I will never drive this in the salt laced snow around here it has made an appearance or two.
but like the GroundHog every Feb 2nd, he comes out then promptly goes back inside his hole

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 02-01-2014).]

THE HONN FAMILY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE HONN FAMILYSend a Private Message to THE HONN FAMILYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Two boys with 2 cool cars and chicks. They both know how to drive in this stuff too. Really slow.

------------------
( Create a team, analyze, make a plan, then ask the wife if it's OK.)

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drove to work until the ice got too scary on the potenzas..

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whoever thinks Fieros aren't good in the snow just can't drive! This picture of my Formula was taken near Vail Pass in Colorado circa 1998. I loved driving that thing in the snow.

PFF
System Bot
Str8lineJKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know anyone to have said they were bad in the snow. I know this was the first winter with my fiero. And it suprised the heck out of me. I loved it. And naturally I did spin around in some parking lots on purpose.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
drove my fist fiero through two winters in Wisconsin, i don't have any pictures. but im never subjecting a nice car to that salt and snow again, my next one i want to keep nice.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There have been those on here saying they are terrible on snow. Mine were all great, even drove them in blizzards when no one else was on the road. You do need to add some weight on the front wheels to help with steering though. The only time I had any problem was getting my Ferrari kit out of a storage garage with a 2' snowdrift across the doorway. It took me 30 mins of back and forth ramming, but I did get it out. NOT having low profile, wide tires is a big plus in snow.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 02-02-2014).]

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove one for a few winters about 20 years ago. The traction was pretty good, but the problem is the lack of weight up front. The weight distribution is not great in these cars. Plenty of times I was trying to turn the steering wheel, but the car kept going straight. Adding some bags of salt in the front compartment helped a bit. With that said, many years have gone by and there aren't many Fieros left, so I would never drive one in the salt now- that stuff is just nasty and no amount of rust proofing can prevent it from destroying the car eventually
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are from last winter ice racing. I just ordered some snow tires so I can take it again next weekend.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 02-02-2014).]

8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I got more snow in North Alabama Ice driving looks fun

------------------
My Fieros (FM4)
'88 GT 600HP G8 engine, lowered, racing modifications
'88 GT Minor street modifications, Police paint scheme
'88 GT "Banana Boat" minor street modifications
'88 GT Silver, stock
'88 GT Red, Body Kit, Racing modifications, orig. engine

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is Furrin Group putting on the race? Is it a Turk Lake like last year? I used to live just 400 yards from the Turk Lake bar.

I have General Altimax Artics on my car and they are great. My son had them on his Saab 9.2(Subaru WRX) and had a blast with them in the UP.
Picture of the tires on the car.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 02-02-2014).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Winter pictures

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have any pics as I haven't had a Fiero in years but all of my Fieros were my only vehicles and I live in northern Indiana. Of course, I drove in the snow.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the furrin group is doing a race next sunday on turk lake. You should come out. I wanted to get the generals but they don't come in anything taller than 24". I went with the 26" Firestone on stock 14" wheels. I wanted the tallest tire I could get since the car is lowered.

------------------
10.91@133.1

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Str8lineJKing:

Yes I do. It was my first car. Pulled the engine to have as a spare for the fiero. But haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the rest of it yet.

A lot of people I talked to tub them out and do a SBC Rwd conversion on them. This ones mine, its the 2.8

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
as for snow driving in a fiero.. I had an 87 Gt years ago (yes the happy panda before its paint job for you old folks on here) it has become my DD because my car fragged out a piston I had only gotten stuck in the snow once and it was because I took it down an unplowed road that just about anything would have gotten stuck on, had a co worker sit and bounce on the back of it and it got right out.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...and from this past weekend. Fiero's do great in the snow with good tires.

------------------
10.91@133.1

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8bit88:

I wish I got more snow in North Alabama Ice driving looks fun

It looks like you got your wish......
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be fun to drive on some snow but can't tell, can't get them out . we have had about 60" of snow and most is
still on the ground .

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The IMSA and the mera are not amused

IMSA

Mera

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You need a bigger garage man!
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fun living in the frozen north huh. I am actually lucky that is my sons car under the snow , mine is stored in a tent
( keeps most snow out ) still can't get at it .

Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember those kinda snow days...
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't driven mine in the snow yet but I did drive it to work this morning in the dark with a driving rain storm on a 55mph two lane road, that was scary especially when dealing with oncoming headlights and deep puddles that you can't see!
PFF
System Bot
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine have been hibernating... Loved snow driving in them though...
First my 86 SE was my DD with 3800sc now a parts car...

Second is my 87 GT the candidate for my 3800sc and Turbo...

Third is my 85 SE 4 Speed that I will be turning into a road racing car...

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

[This message has been edited by IanT720 (edited 02-24-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

Mine have been hibernating... Loved snow driving in them though...

Second is my 87 GT the candidate for my 3800sc and Turbo...

if that one had a little more snow on it, it would look like 86 SE, it hibernates every winter, we have other vehicles better in the snow and more capable of handling our day to day pickups of hay, feed for the horses. The Burb gets used the most, the dodge ram gets used when the wife is gone and I need to get to the store or doctors appointment.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not an action shot but she was out and about! It amazes me how well these cars do in snow. Even mine with 245 wide summer tires in the rear!

------------------

My turbo build

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't done the snow thing yet but I was out in a major squall with 60 mph gust. The rain was so intense that even at full speed on the new wipers on the new windshield was almost useless. The car actually did very well and I stayed warm and dry, can't whine about the Fiero in a driving rain storm!

[This message has been edited by BrittB (edited 02-26-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock