Inspection in Ontario Canada by Gohabs93
Started on: 01-27-2014 12:37 PM
Replies: 19 (431 views)
Last post by: FIEROFLYER on 02-04-2014 08:18 PM
Gohabs93

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone!

I moved to Ontario from Quebec and I am in the process of bringing my Fiero here. My fiero has a 3.8 swap and does not have a catalytic converter. The car is an 1986 , so it does not require emission test. Does anyone know if they check under the car to see if the car has a catalytic converter? I'm in Kitchener Ontario now.

Thanks!
Hilal
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They will check everything including the CC. It will have to pass the safety check ... but your car is modified which means the car will be examined even closer. They will likely pick out all the nitty-gritty and give you a hard time. Lived 3 years in Pettawawa, Ont. and brought my Quebec modified 69 Canaro woow what a pain in the ass .... anyways good luck hope all turns out good for ya.
regards
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure you can find a less than reputable garage to have it certified without the catalytic converter.
Gohabs93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I'm sure you can find a less than reputable garage to have it certified without the catalytic converter.

I need to find someone easy with the Safety check! I don't want to lose my trunk space to install a cat :P

FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just go to a small shop that might not be as picky, do not go to a dealer they will **** you hard
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will have to be registered with a "Hot Rod" status since it has an engine that was not available to that car.
Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, the hot rod status under e-test is not applicable as its an 86 and exempt from the drive clean semi annual inspections. They are, however correct as the shop performing the safety may not pass you, I've also had it happen.

All emissions equipment original to the car and/or engine needs to be intact and they can pull you over for spot inspections and require you to pass a test.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will not need to be registered as a hot rod. That is only for vehicles that need emissions testing (88 and newer).

You simply need to find a garage that is not too picky to certify it. Not a big deal, there are lots of them around. You will not be needing an emissions test, so it should be pretty simple to get it done
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once certified which should not be too hard as your car is in very good shape you are good to go.
Nice thing about the Fiero sitting so low is most inspectors on the road are too lazy to crawl under so if they give you any crap at all tell them to test the emissions coming out the tail pipe and your car will still pass as I have had quite a few Fieros pass e-tests with no cat under the hot rod class.
Stay away from dealer ships, large garages and places like Canadian tire as they will be pricks.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

It will not need to be registered as a hot rod. That is only for vehicles that need emissions testing (88 and newer).

That's good to know for when I get my next Fiero and do another swap...I checked last year when I bought my Fiero, and that's what they had told me. They never mentioned that there was an age limit for the Hot Rod status - just that I needed to do it if I ever changed the engine to a non-stock engine. But since mine is an '88 I guess that does apply to me. I wish the e-test only applied to '89 and above lol.
Gohabs93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really thought I had to declare it as hot rod since it has a non stock engine. It's good I asked in this forum, I was going to take it to a car dealer that does inspection.........

Source:
(http://www.canadianrodder.com/features/fyi/registering.htm)
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hot rod class will only be for emissions MTO really does not care that there is a different sized V6 they really only care when you go with more cylinders or aftermarket crazy parts. Dan
Gohabs93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No one wants to insure my 3.8 Fiero because it's modified ! Not even one way coverage .
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't tell them its supercharged just say it is a stock GM V6 engine which it actually is just not for the Fiero
Gohabs93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

Don't tell them its supercharged just say it is a stock GM V6 engine which it actually is just not for the Fiero

But if I ever get into an accident and they see my car is not stock, won't I be in trouble?

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure on that might just be your collision portion will not cover your own cars damage but I only carry minimum insurance on my cars so that is not a factor for me. You might have better luck with collector car insurance companies but your Fiero has to be a secondary vehicle for that.
x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gohabs93:

No one wants to insure my 3.8 Fiero because it's modified ! Not even one way coverage .

Do you use this car as a daily driver? If so it might be hard to find insurance. If you have another vehicle for daily driver, you can get custom insurance then. I'm with Lant Insurance brokers (now Hagarty)

As for safety, I don't think they can fail you for not having a cat on the car. Technically the car doesn't even have to run to pass a safety, they are looking for handling issues.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't listen to baseless crap. You can insure it no problem with a modified engine. Take some pictures, call Hagerty Insurance, you are done. Nobody cares that it is a 3.8SC motor- Fieros are not worth anything regardless of the motor,so insurance companies don't really worry about it. I was an insurance broker for years and know the rules quite well. PM me if you want more details. It is super simple- you are over complicating it
Gohabs93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, looks like it's easy to ensure with Hagerty! I can get full coverage for cheap! I'm exchanging my Quebec license for an Ontario one and then I'll get the insurance with them.
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good now as long as you keep your right foot some what under control you should be ok even with that nice 3800SC/F40 set up you have.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock