Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Done with PIP, what else can we use (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Done with PIP, what else can we use by qwikgta
Started on: 01-25-2014 12:14 AM
Replies: 52 (1116 views)
Last post by: Carcenomy on 02-04-2014 01:49 AM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seams that PIP is still on the fritz, what else can we use for pictures?

Thanks

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 01-25-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can not count the number of posts I have read about "The image poster is not working" (Especially lately!) and the thousands of red X's I have seen on this forum in the past years....

I do not know what kind of forum software is being used here on PFF. I have never seen the name mentioned, and do not see a name at the bottom of the page. I do not understand why there is not a built in way to upload images when you post a message. This is the only forum that I have ever been on that does not have this ability.

Every other forum I am on, you click Attachment, browse, and pick the image.... that's all there is to it. There has to be a way to add that to PFF somehow......
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Since PIP will not work, what else can we use for pictures?

Thanks

Rob

http://s1312.photobucket.com/

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

http://s1312.photobucket.com/

:thumbsdown:
That is EXACTLY why there are TONS of Red X's all over the forum. Photobucket and Image Shack links DO go dead after extended non use.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always have to use photobucket because it seems that PIP is down way more than it is up and working.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I always have to use photobucket because it seems that PIP is down way more than it is up and working.

That's simply not true. Yes, there have been some recurring issues lately, but by and large PIP has worked fine over the years.

And oh yeah... Photobucket sucks.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

:thumbsdown:
That is EXACTLY why there are TONS of Red X's all over the forum. Photobucket and Image Shack links DO go dead after extended non use.

I have never encountered my photobucket links going bad from non use. However, if I move a picture in photobucket to a new album or something, then the link will be broken.

It is not ideal, but it is what I tend to use anyway.

LB23

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LB23Send a Private Message to LB23Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Date/Time2010:03:05 18:05:43

still works.
90% of pip never loads for me. Older threads never seem to work for me if there on pip.

I would be all for PIP but I had much much better luck with the bucket over long term with pics. hell I haven even logged into that account to get the link in over a year and it still works but alot of same day posts with PIP wont load for me.

Im on crome and clean my cookies weekly.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Picturetrail.com. Have for many years, no problems Im aware of. Simple to use.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Photobucket with a paid account and have over 7700 photos stored and linked from there.

If you move the pictures from folder to folder, the links will change and be broken. But other than that, they will remain active for as long as you keep the account active. If you haven't logged into photobucket in 3 years and have a free account, then yes they may choose to delete your pictures. If you use a free account, there are also monthly bandwidth limits which can make the links not work for a few days until the bandwidth allotment is reset, but using a paid account solves that issue.

My biggest gripe with PIP is that the links it produces are only good for PFF. You can't use them on any other forum. So if you are active on multiple forums, to use PIP you have to load and host the pictures twice vs. once with pretty much any other picture hosting site.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had a free Photobucket account and all of my pics still work. It's not the image host that moves them, it's the user.

And, for the record, I have been on this forum since 2001 and have never gotten PIP to work.

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 01-25-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try this:

When you click on "Post It!", the link to your picture is copied to the Windows clipboard, which is why you can paste it into a message with Ctrl-V. But if you should lose the windows clipboard info somehow, you can recover the link by clicking on the "History" button. You will see the pictures you have uploaded then. Click on the button beneath the picture you want to put in a message, and it's link will be copied to the Windows clipboard again, and will also be displayed below the pictures.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whats wrong with the PIP??
works everytime.....and I post tons (used to) of the pics

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 01-25-2014).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PIP still works, must be your puter.

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

PIP still works, must be your puter.

normally I'm the guy telling everyone to use PIP for many of the reasons above, but the last few post that I have tried to load images, PIP is not working as normal. I do get some of the picture, but only about half of it will load. So, yes its working, but its getting annoying to load up images just so I can see half of it. I have modified the size, the pixel size, all of it. But I still can't get it to load the entire pic. And no its not the computer I am on, I have tried three different machines and I get the same thing each time.

I'll keep trying, but it needs to get fixed

Rob
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a complexity I'm not aware of. Picture format I always use is 72 pixels Resolution, and max width or height of 800 pixels (same as picture posted above which came out perfect).
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
crappy camera....I do not have to resize this camera ever.

good camera ....these I have to shrink and that does get old and time consuming

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 01-25-2014).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
I do not know what kind of forum software is being used here on PFF. I have never seen the name mentioned, and do not see a name at the bottom of the page. I do not understand why there is not a built in way to upload images when you post a message. This is the only forum that I have ever been on that does not have this ability.

Who wrote this bulletin board?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It worked for me way back when I had an XP puter. It started timeing out, so I stopped using it. Tried it when I got a new Win 7 puter. Never would work. Some cmptr nerds I know even tried to make it work. I dont know how things work in general...maybe its a location thing, how its routed. Ive had strange things happen with cable and phone lines. Right now for whatever reasons, most people who have Time-Warner landlines can only get a busy signal when they call my landline that is not Time-Warner. Phone company repair guys say its the way TW switches route calls. TW says its my phone company. I can call anyone on TW though...
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PIP is an automated FTP program. The login and other information it uses is in the configuration file at //www.fiero.nl/fieroforum.pip. I tried logging in manually using that information, and got a login error. So perhaps Cliff has changed things, but not updated the configuration file.
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd say over the last 12 years, I'd have to respectfully disagree.

I have way more issues with Chrome not loading correctly than PIP.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 01-25-2014).]

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Photobucket, I have never had any problems posting pictures from here.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

Photobucket, I have never had any problems posting pictures from here.

Posting images from Photobucket isn't the issue. It's all the red X's in forum threads afterwards that's the problem.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Picturetrail like Roger Garrison. Always works for me, but I don't know whether pics get lost much later or not.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
test, test

OK, well its working now.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 01-25-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NICE. I like where thats going....
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I don't see what the problem with PIP is. I have never had a problem with it in any version of Windows or running it through Wine in Linux (multiple versions). I have the same trouble free use both here at Pennocks and over at the Georgia Fiero Club forums. I do occasionally have it time out when uploading, but it works the second time I try the upload.

Had to run a test since I hadn't uploaded a pic since rebuilding my computer a couple days ago...

What errors are you guys getting with PIP? Note that I do have Windows Firewall turned off...I have always suspected that causes many people problems.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am one of the ones who has never had a problem with PIP and could not understand why anyone would rather use photobucket. At least until a week ago when I began to get the "time out" errors that Roger talks about. I suspect it is because of a recent automatic Windows upgrade. I wonder if it is time for PIP version 1.10 since 1.09 is from October of 2011.

I like PIP and really don't want to start loading all my pictures into a different system.

------------------

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1MohrFiero

4363 posts
Member since Apr 2003
I just fixed the problem I was having with the "time out". When I checked the Windows firewall settings, I found that PIP was only allowed through the Home/network and not Public. When I added the Public setting, the time out problem immediately stopped. Which takes me back to the thought that a recent update caused it. And it supports the theory that most if not all problems with PIP come from the owners computer.

Try this and see if it helps.

POSTED with PIP. Its good to have an old friend back!

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 01-26-2014).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

What errors are you guys getting with PIP? Note that I do have Windows Firewall turned off...I have always suspected that causes many people problems.

after a resize of some images I wanted to upload, I put them into the PIP software, then started a "for sale" thread. I typed in my text and then loaded the pics. When I was done I hit enter and then was brought back to the mall post. When I opened the thread, only the top half of the images were visible, on all 5 of my pics. I then edited my post and reloaded all the pics, but the same thing happened. Since I had put a link to the library of photos I left the thread alone. A few days later I was reading another thread and I needed to add a pic. I loaded a pic in PIP and uploaded it, when I viewed my post, the pic was there, but again, half loaded. Finally, about 5 days later I was in another thread, added a pic, same thing, half the pic was visible. I had read that PIP was having issues, but until then I was like most on here, a PIP fan. I understand that software/forums have issues, so I chalked it up to that. So I started this thread to "get some traction" on getting PIP fixed. Last night I tried to put a pic in this thread, and it worked fine, maybe its finally fixed.

Rob
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:
I suspect it is because of a recent automatic Windows upgrade. I wonder if it is time for PIP version 1.10 since 1.09 is from October of 2011.

Could be, the machine I was having issues with (half loaded pics) is the only machine I am running win 8.1 on.

Rob
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tbh pip gets on my nerves, i post on 60degree all the time from my phone, and other forums, upload the images and done, they never go away, here i have to wait till i get home, or use dropbox/photo bucket, and even when im home i gota load an external program to post. or if im at work, same deal, idk why cliff doesnt just code PIP into the software.

Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

tbh pip gets on my nerves, i post on 60degree all the time from my phone, and other forums, upload the images and done, they never go away, here i have to wait till i get home, or use dropbox/photo bucket, and even when im home i gota load an external program to post. or if im at work, same deal, idk why cliff doesnt just code PIP into the software.

Just get the photobucket app. It lets you upload multiple pictures at once very quickly.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had the half picture situation quickgta describes, but not on the forum. It sometimes happened in my file when I resized. I just used the resizing program that was automatically loaded in one of the wizards of Windows. A Georgia member suggested going to PowerToysForWindows.Com and downloading an image resizer for XP, and that solved the problem on my computer.

Even though the older resized pictures are shown with some portion of the bottom as being gray, the full image is still visable on PFF. I also have no problems posting pics when other say they can't, and I also use PIP to post elsewhere on other forums.

Examples of images that show as half images in my computer files. These were resized using the Windows wizard, not Power Toys For Windows.
Only the top 1/4 is visible.

In this one, only the top of the trees show.

It is a bit of a letdown to be working on your Fiero and need guidance from a pictorial thread you remember seeing but when you consult it, there are no pics. Come on the forum and ask a question about something that's been much discussed and documented and the answer is "Search Is Your Friend".

Though some of us like Boondawg, Synthesis and Maryjane are so eloquent that their verbal descriptions paint a vivid picture in your mind, for the rest of us, National Geographic would be required to make it understandable.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 01-26-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've had the half picture situation quickgta describes, but not on the forum. It sometimes happened in my file when I resized. I just used the resizing program that was automatically loaded in one of the wizards of Windows. A Georgia member suggested going to PowerToysForWindows.Com and downloading an image resizer for XP, and that solved the problem on my computer.

Even though the older resized pictures are shown with some portion of the bottom as being gray, the full image is still visable on PFF. I also have no problems posting pics when other say they can't, and I also use PIP to post elsewhere on other forums.

Examples of images that show as half images in my computer files. These were resized using the Windows wizard, not Power Toys For Windows.
Only the top 1/4 is visible.

This sounds a Chrome issue I have? Are you using Chrome?? I have to empty the cache and reload for the images to come in correctly.

Bob
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Who wrote this bulletin board?

After following that link, and spending about 3 minutes on the site. I found an add on made specifically for this forum that allows you to upload images and include them when making a post.

It would certainly be nice if Cliff would consider installing this. The only topic talked about more that Fiero's on this forum is Image posting! Whether it be with PIP, Image shack, Photo bucket, and the hundreds of posts rallying for all of them, or none of them.

Just the simple installation of this add on would stop all the madness, and make posting images so much easier! ! !
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John, the best way to get Cliff's attention is to send him a PM.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RCR, I don't use Chrome. I've been using Mozilla Firefox for a number of years. I think those were resized when I was using something like Foxfire or one of the programs for Windows 95 or 98.5.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Big Paul:

Just get the photobucket app. It lets you upload multiple pictures at once very quickly.

Same with Picturetrail. You can upload a whole album at once if you want. I also like it that no matter what size my pic is, its automaticly resized to the correct size with no inputs from me.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock