Finally got another FIero or two by 88FIERO58
Started on: 01-23-2014 10:43 PM
Replies: 8 (372 views)
Last post by: 88FIERO58 on 07-13-2014 08:31 PM
88FIERO58

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FIERO58Send a Private Message to 88FIERO58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like many of you out there, I too have that Fiero Story.
Back in 1984 at the ripe old age of 26, while stationed at an Air Force Base, I went to the local Pontiac Dealership and ordered myself one of those cool cars.
but has luck would have it and the way the military works I never got the chance to get it because I had received orders to go overseas. Let's skip ahead now to 1992
found a 1987 4cylinder, auto, silver notchback and traded in my motorcycle to get it. Married with kid by this time it just was my kick around car. Had it up until around
1998 when it finally threw a rod through the block at around 80,000 miles. Had plans to make a kit car out of it and told the lady of the house it would be out of the way and done
in two years, well two years came and went and it ended up going to the local junkyard.

Now here we are in 2014 and I came across not one, but a pair of FIERO'S Sitting in front of a Dish installers shop. One was for sale the other on a trailer.
The one for sale was an 86 se coupe V-6 auto, 100,000 miles on it, with all the options and with the 9 code vin. (which I didn't know what that meant until I check it out).
At first inspection it seemed that it would need a lot of work, interior, mirrors, some glass, body work. At that point, I hadn't noticed the one on the trailer, until I was getting ready to contact the person selling it. The one on the trailer was a 1988 coupe, 4 cyl. 5 speed with 70,000 miles on it. Like any good car buyer should do, I took down the Vin numbers, called the guy and got more information about the cars and asked if he would sell them both.
Long story short, I now have two Fieros the 86 runs ok with it little quirks and sits on blocks and covered up along side the garage and the 88 as been dismantled all the way down to the frame and has taken over my parking spot in the garage. Haven't yet decided what direction to go with it, but hey I've waited 30 yrs whats a few more.

My kudos to the Forum. I have read a lot of good things and found a lot of information that would not be available else where.
I plan on keeping a journal of pictures and documents of my great adventure and hopefully post some on the Forum.

Thanks for your attention
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome

------------------

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
(84 IMSA) garage queen
(13 Veloster) daily grinder
(86 basterdized mera) fake ferrari
(84 fastback IMSA) confused lil one
The forums Youngest CDL driver

88FIERO58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FIERO58Send a Private Message to 88FIERO58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks
It's amazing all the different ideas and subjects that all these Fiero owners have, as well has information
My first thought for my two was to make the 88 the primary base and use the 86 as the donor, but further thinking I figure that I will rebuild the 88 to original from the ground up and then use the 86 to do a restomod. While working on the 88, the 86 will be uses for just a kick around car until the 88 is done.
So, when the weather warms up again I can get back to work on them.

Originally posted by 88FIERO58:

Like many of you out there, I too have that Fiero Story.
Back in 1984 at the ripe old age of 26, while stationed at an Air Force Base, I went to the local Pontiac Dealership and ordered myself one of those cool cars.
but has luck would have it and the way the military works I never got the chance to get it because I had received orders to go overseas. Let's skip ahead now to 1992
found a 1987 4cylinder, auto, silver notchback and traded in my motorcycle to get it. Married with kid by this time it just was my kick around car. Had it up until around
1998 when it finally threw a rod through the block at around 80,000 miles. Had plans to make a kit car out of it and told the lady of the house it would be out of the way and done
in two years, well two years came and went and it ended up going to the local junkyard.

Now here we are in 2014 and I came across not one, but a pair of FIERO'S Sitting in front of a Dish installers shop. One was for sale the other on a trailer.
The one for sale was an 86 se coupe V-6 auto, 100,000 miles on it, with all the options and with the 9 code vin. (which I didn't know what that meant until I check it out).
At first inspection it seemed that it would need a lot of work, interior, mirrors, some glass, body work. At that point, I hadn't noticed the one on the trailer, until I was getting ready to contact the person selling it. The one on the trailer was a 1988 coupe, 4 cyl. 5 speed with 70,000 miles on it. Like any good car buyer should do, I took down the Vin numbers, called the guy and got more information about the cars and asked if he would sell them both.
Long story short, I now have two Fieros the 86 runs ok with it little quirks and sits on blocks and covered up along side the garage and the 88 as been dismantled all the way down to the frame and has taken over my parking spot in the garage. Haven't yet decided what direction to go with it, but hey I've waited 30 yrs whats a few more.

My kudos to the Forum. I have read a lot of good things and found a lot of information that would not be available else where.
I plan on keeping a journal of pictures and documents of my great adventure and hopefully post some on the Forum.

Thanks for your attention

THE HONN FAMILY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE HONN FAMILYSend a Private Message to THE HONN FAMILYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi there,
I'm new also. Great site as you already know. I'm glad to see I'm not the oldest person here. ( 50 ) Fieros are my newest auto hobby and really just stumbled upon the 85 SE with a horse trade a year ago. That is my 17 year olds car. I just bought a 87 GT and haven't quit working on it for 2 months straight and can't beleive what 600 bucks bought me. This thing is so tight and quiet I just love driving it. This one is for my 15 year old who has been behind the wheel of it with me doing shake down runs with every new part we put on.
I'm rambling. It's only my 3d or 4th post. You'll get addicted too. Peace, Stacey, and welcome!

------------------
( Create a team, analyze, make a plan, then ask the wife if it's OK.)

mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome. Make sure you check out Minnesota Fieros Forever http://www.fiero.mn.org/

and the Tyler Shipman show http://www.tylershipmanmemorialcarshow.com/
88FIERO58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FIERO58Send a Private Message to 88FIERO58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I don't think there's an age limit to car enthusiast, I hope. I've had alot of opportunities to get into other cars, but always seemed to go back to Fieros. Now that the kids are gone and have there own cars I can finally get back to doing what I like with cars and it's OK with the lady of the house.

Originally posted by THE HONN FAMILY:

Hi there,
I'm new also. Great site as you already know. I'm glad to see I'm not the oldest person here. ( 50 ) Fieros are my newest auto hobby and really just stumbled upon the 85 SE with a horse trade a year ago. That is my 17 year olds car. I just bought a 87 GT and haven't quit working on it for 2 months straight and can't beleive what 600 bucks bought me. This thing is so tight and quiet I just love driving it. This one is for my 15 year old who has been behind the wheel of it with me doing shake down runs with every new part we put on.
I'm rambling. It's only my 3d or 4th post. You'll get addicted too. Peace, Stacey, and welcome!

88FIERO58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FIERO58Send a Private Message to 88FIERO58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88FIERO58

44 posts
Member since Jan 2014
Thanks.
Have checked out the Minnesota FIeros Forever a few time before I joined the forum
Also followed the Tyler storie as well. Frazee is not to far from me. Been up there many times for sporting events when my kids were in school.

Originally posted by mrfred8:

Welcome. Make sure you check out Minnesota Fieros Forever http://www.fiero.mn.org/

and the Tyler Shipman show http://www.tylershipmanmemorialcarshow.com/

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88FIERO58:

....and the 88 as been dismantled all the way down to the frame and has taken over my parking spot in the garage. Haven't yet decided what direction to go with it, but hey I've waited 30 yrs whats a few more.

Uh oh...

Welcome to the madness.
88FIERO58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FIERO58Send a Private Message to 88FIERO58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey all, Here's a look at where I've gotten to. Have completly dissasembled my 88 SE coupe down to the subframe. I have kepted a photo journal of major items that are being worked on along with receipts of all products and parts I purchase for the project. All components will be gone through piece by piece. I've completed the front and rear suspension system with the exception of the cradle, to rusted to be safe to repair will have to look for one. I used the Eastwood chassie paint system, which includes rust inhibitors, encapsulators and chassie paint, worked out really well. I am purchasing parts has funds become available and was hoping to have a rolling chassie by the end of summer. Rims have been completed as well. I will post pictures asap. FYI has anyone tried to make a drivers side seat rail using the passenger side? Well it can be done if you have good brackets from the dirvers side rails that fasten to the frame. I had two drivers side rails to rusted to operate, but the brackets were usable. Drilled them out and cleaned them up and replace the brackets off my spare passenger ones. You'll have to switch the big spring to the correcte side. Started cleaning up the subframe the other day, had to cut out a few area around the trunk, otherwise everything else took alittle elbow grease and wire wheels on grinders to clean up and get ready for the Eastwood chassie paint system on that as well. ( I used the PIP to load the pic, it didn't show up on my preview I hope it shows on the post, if not sorry)
Thanks for your time

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock