Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any suggestions on how to keep windows from fogging up in winter? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any suggestions on how to keep windows from fogging up in winter? by THE HONN FAMILY
Started on: 01-22-2014 07:16 AM
Replies: 43 (819 views)
Last post by: THE HONN FAMILY on 01-25-2014 10:07 AM
THE HONN FAMILY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE HONN FAMILYSend a Private Message to THE HONN FAMILYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a quick search and came up empty. Put hvac on defog no problems. But legs get cold. Put on heat and legs are warm but windows fog up. Any little trick to an in between?

------------------
( Create a team, analyze, make a plan, then ask the wife if it's OK.)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, clean the heck out of your windows. Then, use that no-fog stuff on the inner glass. And don't leave any open containers of liquid in your car when yer not in it. Could also use a small can of damp-rid under the seat. Looks like a tuna can. Sucks up the excess moisture.
THE HONN FAMILY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE HONN FAMILYSend a Private Message to THE HONN FAMILYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if anybody did a mod with the ac. Maybe disconnect the fan for ac and put on bi level or something. Just a thought. I just keep hitting heat and then defrost every 10 min. or so. Where can a fella pic up the no fog stuff? Stacey

------------------

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is your heater core leaking? A leaky heater core will cause your window to fog up as soon as you turn on your heat. The higher your blower is running, the worse it'll get. Usually you can smell the antifreeze, it's sort of a sweet smell, and if the leak is bad it'll drip on your passengers side carpet. I suppose it's possible for it to cause a little fog even if the heat is off.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or move to Florida. Up here in Michigan that's a constant problem.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your floor pan for rust. This time of year water gets in the carpet and it takes forever to dry out. Just a few pinholes can cause a problem.
THE HONN FAMILY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE HONN FAMILYSend a Private Message to THE HONN FAMILYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. Been through everything and it's all good. I just thought someone had a cool idea is all.

------------------

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may want to check your ducting, mainly around the heater core. Little critters could have been in there and stored their stash in there. If your heater core and air flow are up to snuff you should be able to keep the windshield clear and your feet warm at the same time.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The anti fog spray is commonly used on things like snowmobile helmet visors and goggles for snow or underwater. Sporting good stores may have it.
http://www.bing.com/images/...efog+spray&FORM=IGRE

Theres also these but not sure how good they work, and would draw alot of current:
12 Volt Instant Car Truck Van Windshield Defroster 200 Watt

http://www.blujay.com/item/...Watt-2020400-2457103

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-22-2014).]

FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same problem with my Fiero also. Not like the newer vehicles. Don't have that problem in the Silverado or TrailBlazer. I think the previous posts have the moisture problem acknowledged. Unfortunately, I think it's the moisture from me breathing. Other than switching between heat and defroster, I usually open the sunroof or crack the window a bit. However, being 1° this morning and 10" of snow, that wasn't an option. So I took the truck to work.

57 more days until SPRING!!!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

You may want to check your ducting, mainly around the heater core. Little critters could have been in there and stored their stash in there. If your heater core and air flow are up to snuff you should be able to keep the windshield clear and your feet warm at the same time.

Also if someone used certain stop leak products in the antifreeze/coolant some of them can accumulate in the heater core blocking flow, they can be back flushed out if you disconnect both the heater hoses and use water pressure (garden hose) to flow backwards from the normal flow of the antifreeze. Then refill with proper mix of antifreeze/distilled water. Its a good time to do this when you drain and fill antifreeze as normal maintinence.
I had to do this twice on a truck I bought and tons of stuff came out and the heat is much hotter now.
Also if your thermostat isnt working properly you might have poor heat.

PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thermostat! I'll call that a 'cool idea' !

That's a real possibility in a Fiero because there is Soooo much coolant for the size of the cabin. In this cold weather the coolant may never get up to temperature.
THE HONN FAMILY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE HONN FAMILYSend a Private Message to THE HONN FAMILYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I should have been more clear. Temp is great, blows killer heat. It was 0 out last night and going 75 on the interstate couldn't keep the sides of front windshield and most of the side glass from frosting up. Had to keep going from heat to defrost. That heater is nice but I prefer a wood stove. Stacey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by THE HONN FAMILY:

I guess I should have been more clear. Temp is great, blows killer heat. It was 0 out last night and going 75 on the interstate couldn't keep the sides of front windshield and most of the side glass from frosting up. Had to keep going from heat to defrost. That heater is nice but I prefer a wood stove. Stacey

Kinda gotta live with it, thats what we get for Pontiac not designing them with a defrost/floor setting, where it blows out both at the same time. That setting is great for us northerners.
You could get that 12v heater fan for teh dash top though.

Wanna get real creative jerry rig this to direct heat from some of your dash vents to the windsheild and leave it set to Bi level (floor/dash).
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Temp is great, blows killer heat. It was 0 out last night and going 75 on the interstate couldn't keep the sides of front windshield and most of the side glass from frosting up.

I've got to agree with what has previously been mentioned. I think your problem is excessive moisture in the car. The windows aren't going to frost up on the inside unless there's a ton of water hidden inside the cabin somewhere (probably soaked into the carpet padding).
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put the temperature all the way to hot, and turn on A/C Bi-Level?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cars also fog up inside if they come outside from a heated garage. No other moisture source required. Do the HONNS have a heated garage?

Also make sure to remove all snow and ice from the outside of the glass, cold on one side and warm on the other will fog it up.

THE HONN FAMILY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE HONN FAMILYSend a Private Message to THE HONN FAMILYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got back with a buddy from lunch. His brand new GMC couldn't keep the sides from fogging on def./heat. Yes Both Fieros are in heated garage with probably soaking wet carpet from all the snow.

------------------

THE HONN FAMILY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE HONN FAMILYSend a Private Message to THE HONN FAMILYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

THE HONN FAMILY

45 posts
Member since Jan 2014
Going ut to garage to put new shocks on the 85 SE.

------------------

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little thing you can do is keep windows down when in the garage it will help some of the wetness evaporate while parked.
Use rubber mats with ridges to keep the water off the carpet.

THE HONN FAMILY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE HONN FAMILYSend a Private Message to THE HONN FAMILYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep the windows down. Thing is I'm doing a lot of filly fartin and keep getting a bit of snow on the carpet. Nice ribbed mats are in the trucks. These clasics shouldn't be in the elements anyway. I'm new here and really want to get some pic up of the cars but I need some good shots and there is too much snow. Stacey
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I keep the windows down. Thing is I'm doing a lot of filly fartin and keep getting a bit of snow on the carpet. Nice ribbed mats are in the trucks. These clasics shouldn't be in the elements anyway. I'm new here and really want to get some pic up of the cars but I need some good shots and there is too much snow. Stacey

I agree keep them off the salty winter roads!

filly fartin ?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes Both Fieros are in heated garage with probably soaking wet carpet from all the snow.

I find that even in the summer, it takes a long time to dry out the carpet underpadding if it's soaked. This time of year it would take forever.

Do you have an electric dehumidifier you could put in the car while it's in the garage, just to dry it out a bit (or a lot)?
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Windows fog less if you take the wife instead of the girlfriend.......
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spring for a motel room for you and the girlfriend.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dobey has the right idea. Instead of full defrost use bi-level with the blower on high. Rain-X now makes a product for the inside of the windows. You must clean them well before applying. Anytime you get into the car after being in the rain or snow you carry moisture in. It will evaporate and then condense on the windows. Providing it isn't raining, you can lower one of the windows ever so slightly to allow better air flow and moisture to escape.

I would also suspect you may have a leak. An area that's hard to detect is around the screws that hold the front cowl cover in place. If it's ever been removed, the screws must be sealed well when reinstalling. They also rust and lose their seal. Water will enter the passenger compartment and get into the carpet and padding way up under the dash. One of those screws is behind the center radio console and hardest to diagnose. Replace them with stainless screws and seal them with butyl rubber.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Dobey has the right idea. Instead of full defrost use bi-level with the blower on high. .

Bi level doesnt direct any air to the windshield though.

Originally posted by 2.5:

Wanna get real creative jerry rig this to direct heat from some of your dash vents to the windsheild and leave it set to Bi level (floor/dash).

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id guess your carpet is damp first. I keep what cars I can in the garage overnite. I had 3 Fieros, all with rear defrosters disconnected, and never had any windows fog up very much. Once in a great while in the spring and starting to warm up, they would a little if it was pouring rain and the windows were closed. If your car has AC, the dehumidifier is supposed to run with the heater too to keep it from fogging. Sometimes you can just crack the side windows open like a 1/4". Old cars with vent windows never had the problem new ones do. I wish someone would bring them back.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Bi level doesnt direct any air to the windshield though.

Maybe I'm labeling it wrong. It's the 2nd button from the right. The last being full defrost. The 2nd from the right is defrost/foot.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Or move to Florida.

lol you beat me to the punch.
THE HONN FAMILY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE HONN FAMILYSend a Private Message to THE HONN FAMILYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK,,,,,, moving to Fl. Problem solved.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Maybe I'm labeling it wrong. It's the 2nd button from the right. The last being full defrost. The 2nd from the right is defrost/foot.

No such button on the Fiero. The second button from the right is pure heat.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A modern dash might be a problem solver. a 12v travel hair dryer mounted in dash for a cheap fix.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our 2004 Tahoe (and our old 99 SIlverado) both do (did) this real bad. My 2005 F-250 doesn't do it at all. The heat in the Tahoe sucks, and it has rear heat also. Can't ever get it warm enough because too much cold leaks in. My Silverado would actually frost up on the INSIDE of the passenger window. I later discovered the heater box was installed wrong and it allowed cold outside air to come in under the dash. Great job GM.

Why isn't there a setting that allows me to have heat on my feet, out of the vents and defrost ducts all at once?

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

A modern dash might be a problem solver. a 12v travel hair dryer mounted in dash for a cheap fix.

It's not the dash, the Fiero HVAC itself does not support the mode with defrost and floor heat. Nearly all modern cars do, but I would go one further. I want to be able to get all three at once, which you can't seem to get.

One of my projects is to make an all electronic HVAC controller for the Fiero. Riceburner98 already has done this and is selling them primarily for the re-body market, but it would be nice to have modern control over the Fiero HVAC in a stock application. The problem with me building one is that I would have to teach myself programmable micro-controllers, so it's not going to happen any time soon.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

No such button on the Fiero. The second button from the right is pure heat.

Second button from the right---My 86, 87 and 88 Owners Manuals under the Instrument Panel section says:

" Heater---Outside air is directed through the heater outlet and side window defoggers, with a small amount to the windshield. Another economy position. "

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I find that cracking the drivers window, and setting the heat to floor works.
daveg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davegSend a Private Message to davegEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the cars without AC allow you to set a 'blend' between defrost and heat settings. Real northern cars don't have AC, it is replaced with a rear window defroster. (ok, I've never actually used it, but I know it's there).

dave
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by daveg:

the cars without AC allow you to set a 'blend' between defrost and heat settings. Real northern cars don't have AC, it is replaced with a rear window defroster. (ok, I've never actually used it, but I know it's there).

dave

Both A/C and rear window defrost could be purchased on a Fiero. Many Fieros have both.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 has both... which is odd because it originated in Arizona.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock