Started on: 01-21-2014 01:08 AM
Replies: 28 (1249 views)
Last post by: Formula88 on 02-13-2014 12:34 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh, the shame!

From my local paper...

Fake Ferrari erupts into flames; blaze destroys waterfront home near Lions Bay

VANCOUVER BC-- A wannabe Ferrari that erupted into flames could easily have caused the downfall of a waterfront community near Lions Bay Friday, say fire officials.

Late Friday, Lions Bay Fire Chief Andrew Oliver got a call that a Ferrari had caught fire in a residential garage in Strachan Point, an unincorporated community about 30 kilometres north of Vancouver. But when firefighters got to the home, not only did they fail to find a supercar, they couldn’t find enough water to stop the blaze from spreading.

“The guy said it was a Ferrari, but it was a kit car,” said Oliver. “A poor man’s Ferrari ... he didn’t even have the big engine in it either.”

The dressed-up, two-door, four-cylinder Pontiac Fiero had seemingly gone up while its battery was being charged, Oliver said. The flames then spread to an (ostensibly authentic) Audi TT parked next to it and developed into a fully-involved fire within minutes of the call coming in.

The cost of the firefighting service — estimated to be in the tens of thousands — will be the responsibility of the owner of the home where the Faux-rrari was parked and possibly other residents.

The three bedroom, three bathroom home was on the market for an asking price of $1,850,000.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Reallybig

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Fiero? They catch on fire...don't they?"

Yes. Yes they do.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The cost of the firefighting service — estimated to be in the tens of thousands — will be the responsibility of the owner of the home where the Faux-rrari was parked and possibly other residents.

The Fire Departments in Canada charge to put out a fire? I honestly did not know that..... That sux, you loose everything, and on top of it have a bill of "tens of thousands" on top of it!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

The Fire Departments in Canada charge to put out a fire?

No, this was a rather odd situation. Please read the full article in the link above for details. (I edited what was posted for brevity.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-21-2014).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's too bad, but why does the author have to keep bashing the kit car? I probably wouldn't be far off stating it was probably a nicer car than the authors.

Bob

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

[/IMG]

Poor Fiero!

But what about that, they and their neighbors owe for the fire bill?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-21-2014).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

That's too bad, but why does the author have to keep bashing the kit car? I probably wouldn't be far off stating it was probably a nicer car than the authors.

Bob

Yeah, that was odd - he even mentioned the engine...
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob

Its almost like the car was the real story, not the fire.

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2014 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:
Its almost like the car was the real story, not the fire.

It's almost like nobody read the article and only saw the car comments in Patrick's summarizing.

The real story seems to be the small community's complete lack of preparedness for any fire happening.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

The real story seems to be the small community's complete lack of preparedness for any fire happening.

Exactly, but as this is a Fiero forum, I copy and pasted mostly the Fiero parts of the story.

I thought the news story was also sort of written tongue-in-cheek regarding the fake Ferrari aspect of it. IMO it added to the report.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...harsh words. It's less about the fire & more jabs at the guys car.
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Yeah, the guys house burns down and he gets ragged on for having a replica.

Bob
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob

Maybe it wasn't a replica and they were just confused. The article doesn't state what model Ferrari the caller thought it was. For all we know, it could have been a Mera.

Granted the Mera looks like a 308, but they were sold as Meras, not Ferrari replicas.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Geez guys, lighten up!

The writer of the story saw an opportunity to inject a little humour into a news event about a house fire. No lives were lost, and the home owner probably has fire insurance.

I've got multiple Fieros, and I wasn't offended by the story. I was surprised and actually pleased to see that the reporter knew something about our little plastic cars.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-21-2014).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we get bills for fire fighting in Kincardine too .those bills then get paid by your insurance company .makes you wonder what our taxes pay for .too bad about this guys car .i wonder if he had his charger on "boost " ?
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The author and the fire chief are douschebags. For lack of a better word

------------------

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Geez guys, lighten up!

The writer of the story saw an opportunity to inject a little humour into a news event about a house fire. No lives were lost, and the home owner probably has fire insurance.

I've got multiple Fieros, and I wasn't offened by the story. I was surprised and actually pleased to see that the reporter knew something about our little plastic cars.

I dunno. If I lost my car in a fire, the last thing I would want to see in the paper is how the neighbors car that was lost was actually a car to be worried about losing, & mine was well... as we he put in the article. I didn't find any humor in it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

The author and the fire chief are douschebags.

I didn't find any humor in it.

Tough crowd.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the Pacific Ocean is an 'inadequate water supply' for fire-fighting purposes? The water looks closer to the house than the fire hydrant in front of my house is to mine! Throw the intake hose into the bay & see if you can pump it dry! Lol!

I'd be expecting flooding problems, not fire suppression issues... Pricy neighbourhood eh?
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulled from Google archive from the same Fiero recall article. After reading this list, makes Fiero issues look rather overcautious.

http://www.apnewsarchive.co...5fd82322af9ee380e6ec

NHTSA also opened a new preliminary evaluation into unconfirmed reports of power-steering loss in GM's 1987 A-body cars with 4-cylinder engines.
The A-body cars are the Buick Century, Chevrolet Celebrity, Oldsmobile Ciera and Pontiac 6000.
NHTSA said it had received nine complaints, including one accident with an injury, of fluid leaking from the power-steering pressure hose, which resulted in a sudden loss of steering assistance.
That investigation involves 527,459 cars, NHTSA said.
Nine other preliminary evaluations were opened by the agency into:
-Erratic cruise control in about 10,000 1987 Chrysler Jeep Cherokees.
-Windshield wiper failure in 300,000 1988-model GM Corsica and Beretta vehicles.
-Erratic cruise control in 1988 GM Suburban and Jimmy vehicles with 5.7 liter or 7.4 liter engines.
-Excessive windshield fogging in 115,000 1986 Hyundai Excel GL vehicles.
-Gasoline splashing from the filler pipe due to alleged faulty venting in 180,000 1988 Ford Town Cars.
-Rear-brake jamming due to a faulty retaining ring in 900,000 1986-1987 GM Buick LeSabre, Oldsmobile 88 and Pontiac Bonneville.
-Jamming of the steering mechanism in 800,000 1985 and 1986 GM G-body cars. The models using the now discontinued G-body were the Chevrolet Monte Carlo and El Camino, Pontiac Grand Prix and Bonneville, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Brougham, and Buick Regal.
-Rear-axle seal failure in 576,000 1985 through 1988 GM Astro and Safari vehicles.
NHTSA also raised two preliminary evaluations to the engineering analysis level. They involved jamming of the front-seat lap belt in 394,500 1987-1988 Toyota Camry vehicles, and windshield-wiper failure in 465,500 1986 through 1988 Ford Aerostar Minivans.
The agency closed three investigations, finding there was ''no defect trend.'' The investigations were into complaints of:
-Tail-light wiring fires in 1987-1988 Chrysler Omnis.
-Air-brake emergency valve defects in the Navistar 1988 S-series school bus.
-Engine surge in 1983-1986 Ford cars with 3.8-liter and 5-liter fuel- injected engines.
Chelo Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chelo FieroClick Here to visit Chelo Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chelo FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What?? What kind of firefighters you have there? They attend the emergency because the caller said it was a Ferrari
On Fire so if the caller have said it was a Fiero by this time there were no town
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Battery chargers (except peak type) usually have a warning not to leave on charge unattended. This guys REAL Audi could have done the same thing if hed charged it. Wonder if the storyline would have changed then...."Expensive Audi sports car with lame 2.0 engine, catches fire and destroys owners hand built pride & joy custom automobile, and his home despite Keystone firemens inept attempts to put out the fire."
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm House for sale for awhile? Homeowner needs to sell it. I smell an insurance fire. Pretty easy to rig up the Fiero so it has gas vapors leaking.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we have a saying around here : our firefighters havent lost a foundation yet ! it doesnt take long for a wooden house to burn down , unfortunately most houses in canada are made of wood .
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys can't get over the fake Ferrari thing, can you? That wasn't the story, it was just a bit of humour.

The fire departments don't normally charge for service, but when a small unincorporated community calls out neghbouring towns fire departments and the area hasn't seen fit to upgrade their water supply to reasonable levels, they can charge them. They did use sea water and they also had to get a fire boat out from a considerable distance. The charges are warranted, IMHO. They pay no municipal taxes there so emergency services are pay as you go!

They should have joined an adjoining village or municipality years ago except that they would have been required to upgrade their infrastructure (no other political unit would take them on and pay for thier upgrade). The owners were too cheap to pay for the upgrade, so took their chances on a pay as you go basis.

And if you think the asking price for the home was high, remember that it was water front - the same lot in an adjoining incorporated area would go for up to double that.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
blah blah blah.....it happens to the best of them!!
and yeah I have a Mera sooooooooooooooo..........I may be a bit bais
http://www.zercustoms.com/n...-Caused-By-Glue.html
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sigh... it just had to be a Fiero. As if I don't already get annoyed by the number of people who think my car is about to explode. Now they'll feel validated.
When I bought the car there was a carefully mounted fire extinguisher under the hood. It also had decades of leaves in the heater ducts, but hey it was prepared.
When I got the local police to sign a fix-it ticket, the cop asked about fires. People at gas stations ask about it. There's two kinds of people in the world: those who used to own a Fiero, and those who heard they catch fire.
I guess the DMC guys have it worse with all the flex capacitor jokes.
mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's no humor in someones house burning down. What's next

"Today paramedics responded to a caller who claimed that a rare Shelby Cobra went through a guard rail. Despite exhaustive searches no Cobra was found. The search was delayed however while road crews cleared away a mangled repli-car and corpse from the vicinity. On the same highway a classic Corvette was stuck in traffic but seems to have escaped unharmed."

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's one of the more accurate replicas I've seen.
Here's some pics of the real thing.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock