Need help from Australian fiero owners by Cruza
Started on: 01-15-2014 03:57 AM
Replies: 18 (612 views)
Last post by: Australian on 01-19-2016 03:10 AM
Cruza

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CruzaSend a Private Message to CruzaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't really ever post anything I just stop by every now and then. I have quietly been enjoying being the envy of my friends with my 85 GT Fiero until one day the relay that controls the radiator fan failed. This caused it to boil water out of the overflow bottle. After buying a new relay the fan now works and I have it wired into a switch that controls when the fan comes on and lately I have been running the fan all the time, from the moment I pull out of my driveway to the moment I'm back home. My problem is that it keeps on boiling water out of the overflow bottle. I'm worried that i have a cracked head caused by the engine boiling the first time. My question is what are my options as an Australian fiero owner. I am 17 and will not have the money to fix this car if it is a cracked head.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it were mine, I'd be inspecting all parts of the cooling system about now. What colour is your coolant now?

Since you're in Australia you are about in the same position I am over here as far as the stock powertrain goes - if something breaks you're kinda boned since neither the Iron Duke nor the 60° V6 were available new in our neck of the woods.

But as I'm sure you'll notice how many of our American friends are doing 3800SC swaps. You and I have a plentiful source of 3800s of our own in the Commodore - the LN3 and Series I in the VN/VP/VR, the Series II in the VS/VT/VX/VY. The L67 3800SC is much less common since nobody really got into the supercharged Commodore S, but they are around. Swapping them isn't always child's play, but it's a possibility if all else fails.

------------------

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Carcenomy

1109 posts
Member since Jan 2009
Actually about now I'd be wanting to get friendly with James_GT if I were you. I believe he was doing a 3.4PR swap, so he might have some 2.8 bits spare.
James_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked the thermostat to make sure it's functioning properly? Sometimes they are worn, bent or damaged and need to be replaced.

Air bubbles in the cooling system are also a really common problem. Not sure if either of these would be the exact cause of your issue, but I'd be looking into them first (especially if you're unable to afford more costly engine repairs).

I still have my old 2.8 block and a few other bits for the moment, I have been trying to decide what to do with it as I may not be able to continue storing it. It's a difficult decision to make as I know how uncommon they are in Australia.

------------------
James

RHD 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

RossT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try replacing the radiator cap. If its not holding pressure the coolant will flow out the overflow bottle.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
x2
Cruza

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CruzaSend a Private Message to CruzaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all of the responses guys, as far as I know the thermostat is working and the radiator cap is holding pressure, I can't really drive the car for more than 10 minutes without it overflowing out of the overflow bottle. Yet when this happens I can put my hand on the radiator cap and its hot but not so hot that my hand gets burnt or anything. I'm suspecting that I might have a cracked head and if i do then I will just scrap the car.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What if it's just a bad gasket?
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it gets to scrapping it put the whole car in a container and set it over the Tasman to me brother
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably already have, but have you tried "burping" your coolant system?
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try a radiator leak stop compound. If it works, your problem is probably a head gasket. You may be able to use the car until you get around to fixing it.

PFF
System Bot
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cruza:

Thanks for all of the responses guys, as far as I know the thermostat is working and the radiator cap is holding pressure, I can't really drive the car for more than 10 minutes without it overflowing out of the overflow bottle. Yet when this happens I can put my hand on the radiator cap and its hot but not so hot that my hand gets burnt or anything. I'm suspecting that I might have a cracked head and if i do then I will just scrap the car.

What'd you ever do with your car Cruza?
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Big Paul:

Probably already have, but have you tried "burping" your coolant system?

I have long suspected that many of the overheating issues reported are due to a failure to perform the correct coolant filling procedure. I've never had a need to it myself but it is more than just filling the reservoir to the line. These is a very specific set of steps that must be performed to make it function correctly.

Maybe someone has a procedure, or a link, to how those steps are performed.

AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X3 on the radiator cap, my 86GT was doing the same thing - weak cap wouldn't hold pressure and pumped
coolant into the overflow tank until it ran out. The engine fill cap is higher than the radiator cap, a lot of
antifreeze can be pushed out by a bad cap. Just filling the radiator leaves a large air pocket in the engine.

To fill, remove the radiator cap, the engine cap and pull out the thermostat from the housing.
Add antifreeze to the engine until it starts to come out the radiator then put the radiator cap back on.
Fill the engine until full, put engine cap back on. Start engine for a minute to circulate water & get out air bubbles.
Remove engine cap & fill to the top, put thermostat back in and replace engine cap.

Warm the engine up & make sure the overflow tank is at the correct level, when the engine cools down it will
pull in more coolant if the system still had some air in it (if the radiator cap is working).

If it got hot it might be a good idea to replace the thermostat and radiator cap.

[This message has been edited by AL68 (edited 01-09-2015).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can not believe this has not been asked already, but what is your coolant temperature showing when it starts boiling over? The 85 GT came with the Aux gauges correct?
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Negative on the rally gauges in the '85 GT John.

------------------

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

Negative on the rally gauges in the '85 GT John.

Idiosyncrasies with the Fiero never cease to amaze me Stuff like the 85 GT tail lights will not fit any other Fiero GT year

A quick test of the thermostat is at least simple. Take out the thermostat, and see still over heats. It is worth doing even if you are certain that is not what it is, just cuz it is fool proof and simple.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 01-09-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Radiator Caps, Coolant Fill and rest of coolant section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-09-2015).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2016 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replace the fan with a VR or VS commodore fan $10 at wrecker. Old thread but worth doing. The fiero fan spins so weak you could stop it with hands (don't recommend it incase yours works) but found the stock electric motor weak.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock