I bought mine at the local O'Reilly's... I think it was $90 or so, with a lifetime warranty. This was several years ago.
I have an auto and yanked my alternator out through the top. Disconnected the blower tubes, the dogbone, and stuck a scissor jack between the engine and rear bulkhead - not the recommended method but the engine mounts were very squishy (shot) so it worked. It was daily driven then and I needed it replaced quickly. Just so happened that the dirty method proved most expedient.
I have had them rebuilt. A small factoid: My 87 GT, bought new, I'm still running the original alternator (145,000 miles) My 88 GT bought in 1996 has gone through three. (?) The 88 has had an engine swap or two, the last one (75,000 miles ago) (3.4 L) has had two alternators.
Or, since you're going to replace you could upgrade to the later CS series alternator, which is electrically superior and is slightly smaller to boot. You can find "Wombats" write - up in the Ogre's Cave . Lastly, when you get to the auto store you need to ask for an alternator for an 88 GT. Thanks, Kit
There was a recent discussion about dropping the rear cradle bolts to create room to change the front spark plugs. I wonder if this technique would be helpful for changing alternators, too?
I changed the alternator on my 86 GT auto a month ago, it would not come out of the right wheelwell opening even with the tie rod loose, had to lower the rear of the cradle to get enough room. I think it was hitting the lower part of the aluminum alternator bracket.
Totally unnecessary to lower the cradle . I have two GT's that are both auto's. The trick is to unbolt the alternator, set it down on the cradle, unbolt and remove the alternator bracket, then take out the alternator. This has always worked for me and I have replaced many. Kit
When I changed the alternator on my 86 SE auto several years back, some brilliant soul on here suggested unbolting the alternator and splitting the case, then removing the two halves. Split new alternator, insert halves and reassemble. This worked like a charm, and was certainly easier that disassembling brackets or suspensions. Four little bolts and it splits in half. Just make sure you stick an paperclip or some sort of pin in the little hole to capture the spring on the brushes.
[This message has been edited by StoicMe (edited 01-17-2014).]