What should I sell my '87 GT for? by brbrealfast
Started on: 01-12-2014 08:10 PM
Replies: 13 (313 views)
Last post by: dobey on 01-13-2014 07:31 PM
brbrealfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brbrealfastSend a Private Message to brbrealfastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was looking to sell my '87 GT for about $3800. It has 84000k miles. It is in real good condition. Does that sound about right?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a picture is worth a 1000 words.... that might be too low, might be too high.
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ever you get for it:
1. I hope it exceeds what you expect/need
2. I hope it exceeds what most people on the net think you should get for it. The Fiero will never be viewed as a legitimate collectors car until the values start coming up and that starts with the current owners/us.

Best of luck in your sale.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless it's in pretty excellent condition, you're probably not going to get more than $2000-2500 for it. Maybe $3000 if you're lucky.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Unless it's in pretty excellent condition, you're probably not going to get more than $2000-2500 for it. Maybe $3000 if you're lucky.

The general public would undoubtedly pay more than most people on PFF. The people here are Fiero's worst critics.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paul's Fiero price guide... just a GUIDE!

http://paulvargyas.com/Price%20Guide.htm
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
The general public would undoubtedly pay more than most people on PFF. The people here are Fiero's worst critics.

I doubt it. The general public generally wouldn't even think about buying a Fiero. Sure, if someone sees one sitting at a dealer, and it's clean enough to catch their eye, they might, but in general, that is not the case, from my experience. Typically only people who already know they want a Fiero will be looking to buy a Fiero. And typically, that's people who know enough about them to know what they want, what they want to pay for it, and how much the cars are worth. Even just a little research on it, will give you that information. Also, they'll probably look at KBB or NADA values, where you'll see they're more likely valued even less.
CorridorCulprit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorridorCulpritSend a Private Message to CorridorCulpritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On NADA the cars are priced a lot higher compared to the guide. I personally think the guide is more accurate towards fair/poor condition cars.
Post the car for what you want, if it doesn't sell then that's when you know the price is too high.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2014 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CorridorCulprit:

On NADA the cars are priced a lot higher compared to the guide. I personally think the guide is more accurate towards fair/poor condition cars.
Post the car for what you want, if it doesn't sell then that's when you know the price is too high.

Note that the NADA values are retail. It's what you'd expect to pay a dealer, not random guy down the street with a Fiero sitting in the yard with a for sale sign. Most totally stock Fieros will fall somewhere between the low and medium values listed on the NADA site.

Also, just because a Fiero doesn't sell at a given price, doesn't necessarily mean the price is too high. The general population is just not at all interested in buying Fieros. They have a bad (even if undeserved) rep. Fieros are just hard cars to sell.
CorridorCulprit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorridorCulpritSend a Private Message to CorridorCulpritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I understand your point, but still there are those random people that see something they like without knowing what it is and then they become interested in buying one. If it looks good, people will be interested regardless of what kind of car. With it being a Fiero sure it might be harder, but if you wait long enough someone will be interested. I learned that paint quality is a big seller to the general public.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2014 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CorridorCulprit:

I understand your point, but still there are those random people that see something they like without knowing what it is and then they become interested in buying one. If it looks good, people will be interested regardless of what kind of car. With it being a Fiero sure it might be harder, but if you wait long enough someone will be interested. I learned that paint quality is a big seller to the general public.

Indeed. But it's very rare that happens. If you're a dealer, and you have it sitting on a lot, and can make it look shiny and attractive, it's much easier to lure people in. If you just post it on craigslist or somewhere, it's a lot harder to draw buyers. "Long enough" can be a very long time.

I'm currently trying to sell a Fiero. I'm asking a reasonable price (OBO even). It's not running and has been sitting for a long while, and has a few things missing. But I've not made any false representation about it. One guy was going to come get it, and suddenly stopped communication completely when he said he was going to come get it, and I gave him my number to call me when he was ready so we could set up the details. That was over 2 months ago. Now, this past weekend, another person was supposed to call me and come look at it, but never called.

It's a low mileage 85 GT, and it needs restored, but I don't have the time to do it, and deal with my 87 GT and other cars and projects. I'd like to see it go to a good home and get up and running again, but if I don't sell it soon enough, I'm probably going to just have to strip it and sell the parts, and the (rust free) frame for scrap. I'd prefer not to do that, but then I'd at least get what it's worth in it's current condition, for the car.
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd say you shouldn't at all, but maybe sell it, for an 88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by jscott1:

This is true, the general public will probably show up and say something like "these are pretty rare" or "you dont see many of these anymore", too.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
This is true, the general public will probably show up and say something like "these are pretty rare" or "you dont see many of these anymore", too.

"I knew a guy who had one in college."
"Don't those things catch fire?"
"Didn't these come with V8s?"

Just a few of the morsels of what the "general public" might say.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock