Started on: 01-11-2014 09:25 PM
Replies: 16 (533 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 01-13-2014 11:53 AM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this when I removed my trunk carpet for cleaning. Has anyone else seen anything like it? It was attached to the trunk carpet like a price tag on an article of clothing. Maybe this tag is RARE!!!

Jonathan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turbo?
ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Collins and Aikman manufactured interior components and fabric material for almost all US made cars and trucks made from the 1960s till about 2000. They bought Mastercraft in 1976. About 2000 they started to have finance trouble and even had a rub in with the SEC and filed for chapter 11 in 2005.

These tags are not unusual but I would say that finding one in good shape is rare.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is also a Collins and Aikman sticker on the jute padding. I just noticed it tonight. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.

Jonathan
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like they were shipped to Pontiac in quantities of 70 by looking at the photo. Probably all in a bundle, and the top one had that tag to give the lot number, and all the info. So, just from that we can surmise that one out of every 70 trunk carpets had that tag.
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

There is also a Collins and Aikman sticker on the jute padding. I just noticed it tonight. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.

Jonathan

You'll find the Supplier's ID on every part of the vehicle, some are tags on the side no visible to the customer, or they are molded/stamped into the part. That's how they track for Assembly Line, and Warranty defects responsibility.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

It looks like they were shipped to Pontiac in quantities of 70 by looking at the photo. Probably all in a bundle, and the top one had that tag to give the lot number, and all the info. So, just from that we can surmise that one out of every 70 trunk carpets had that tag.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Jonathan
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neat but not rare, helpful or valuable.

You will find these but too often they are damaged.

If many of you look often in Pontiac carpet of this era you can see the plastic holders sticking out of the carper where tags are or were at one time. I have one in my carpet.

Not a build sheet but neat to find.

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is on the underside of my Indy floor carpets. Rick B

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a shipping tag typically applied to a skid or tote from a tier 1 supplier. Likey they put it on the actual pad and the carpet was stacked on a pallet of some type. It is possible that your piece of carpet was the top piece on that particular stack. It is not something this would usually get shipped on todays cars baed on the type of bulk packaging and attention the assembly. "Rare" might be a stretch, but it IS a neat piece to look at and figure out from a manufactuing / logistics standpoint.

I can tell you more...... when I am not setting at work (like today) working on parts that use tags like this.

[This message has been edited by R Runner (edited 01-12-2014).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is cool is that Collins and Aikman sponsored one of the Fiero GTP light racers back in the 80's.

That is one thing that gives these tags a neat tie in.
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my sticker. I bet it was nicer before I washed the carpet. I didn't even notice it until last night and the carpet had finished drying by then. If I had seen it, I would have tried to protect it from water damage. Notice it also says Turbo. I wonder if that means that this carpet has been moulded to fit around the trunk blower?

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
If you think the carpet is nice, look at what I found underneath it!

Jonathan
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulled out my trunk carpet today too and the floor looked just like yours, minty fresh!
jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never seen one that nice
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaybug56:

I've never seen one that nice

Thank you!

Jonathan

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turbo could be the companies name of the s/gray ( Turbo slate gray?)
Remember in the 80s everything was cooler if it was names Turbo

I wonder if the P stands for P-car, or Pontiac.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock