Rambling... Confused on Embrace HID kit by Pilot Abileen
Started on: 01-05-2014 01:41 PM
Replies: 15 (629 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 01-11-2014 03:58 PM
Pilot Abileen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pilot AbileenSend a Private Message to Pilot AbileenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a search to check out the website while i was at work and found TLG and EmbraceRacing I was telling my friend how badass these lights were and they were only like 450-500 or so... anyways i pull up TLG cuz it came up on the search... here is what i found.

TLG AUTO
List Price: $819.00
Low Price: $779.00
You Save $40.00!

Then i checked out EmbraceRacing and found this...

EmbraceRacing
This lighting upgrade is currently available for $420 USD. Please contact chris.chimienti@gmail.com to order

So how is TLG selling them for twice as much and telling us we are saving money? I've bought leds from them before... but my business is done with them... after i started checking out prices like TLG arp bolt kits compared to getting them from arp... ridiculous price increases!

I dont know maybe its just me... it just bugs the hell out of me
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Price difference is attributed to HID kits and wiring harnesses being included on the TLG website.

On my website (Embrace Racing) I do not include the HID kits/wiring because there are many different places you can buy them online (with many different price points). TLG is providing you with a single source to get everything all at once. It's convenient and they use high quality HID kits (bulbs and ballasts).

Hope that helps I also have to update the price on my website. Unfortunately they are $10 more expensive now ($430) because I include some different hardware now that costs more.

If you have any other questions regarding the kit, I would be happy to answer them!

Chris

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the whole thing 770.00 usd with quality HID kit is not a bad deal. I suppose you could find some cheap Ebay kit and save money now and pay more later. If you do find the same cheaper online you will probably loose the savings in shipping.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 01-05-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

For the whole thing 770.00 usd with quality HID kit is not a bad deal. I suppose you could find some cheap Ebay kit and save money now and pay more later. If you do find the same cheaper online you will probably loose the savings in shipping.

You can find high quality HID kits on eBay pretty cheap. eBay doesn't actually make anything, and buying stuff on eBay doesn't mean it's cheap knock-off crap (though a lot of that stuff is certainly sold on there). I bought a kit off eBay a while back, to install in my truck (but haven't, because unfortunately the headlights I bought for it didn't have deep enough projectors for xenon bulbs). The ballasts are made by Matsushita and have a DOT stamp. The bulbs it came with are Phillips. The only things it didn't come with are a relay harness and mounting hardware to secure the ballasts. It was about $200 shipped. It's certainly not the cheapest, nor most expensive, kit available on eBay, but it is a quality kit at a reasonable price.

That said, since these headlights only use projector lenses, and there are 4 in total, you'd need 2 HID kits, plus the extra special harness, to use all 4 projectors, and the "high beam" of the projectors.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Original sealed beams are $5 each. I have the same ones on my motorhome and they work fine for me in my old age. If you want more light, just add $20 set of driving lights
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i was referring to the cheap kits that tend to inhabit ebay. I didn't mean that quality items aren't available, though they usually nail you on shipping and handling to make up for the lower price, just a trend I've noticed on eBay. You also have to look and make sure that the parts being sold are the parts being represented and that the seller is reputable but that goes for any internet transaction. I don't feel that for the price being asked for a complete kit that is about as plug and play as you can get is a bad price.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 01-05-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:
i was referring to the cheap kits that tend to inhabit ebay. I didn't mean that quality items aren't available, though they usually nail you on shipping and handling to make up for the lower price, just a trend I've noticed on eBay. You also have to look and make sure that the parts being sold are the parts being represented and that the seller is reputable but that goes for any internet transaction. I don't feel that for the price being asked for a complete kit that is about as plug and play as you can get is a bad price.

Yeah, I'm not saying the TLG price was bad. I was just trying to clarify that everything on eBay isn't cheap crap, and that eBay doesn't actually make anything, both of which were implied by the wording and sentence structure you chose. And I was just trying to point out that it was actually two HID kits you get with the TLG kit. Generally, projector headlight installs don't install two projectors per side. They have one projector on each side, and a reflector housing for high beams, using halogen lights. As a result, you'd actually need two HID kits, as well as the custom wiring necessary to run the projectors properly as high beams. So the pricing is more like this, if you want to break it down, and buy things individually:

$430 - hand-made Fiero projector headlight housings
$400 - $200 x 2 for good quality HID kits
$100 - custom relay harness for 2x dual-beam HID

Even the $800 price is going to be cheaper than buying bits separately at retail prices, unless you go with the really cheap and crappy HID kits, or just stick with halogen bulbs in the headlights (you don't have to use HID).

You'll still need a special harness to have the projectors do high beams correctly, though, from what I can tell, even if you just want to use halogens.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Original sealed beams are $5 each. I have the same ones on my motorhome and they work fine for me in my old age. If you want more light, just add $20 set of driving lights

Or just buy the $20/each Silverstar sealed beams, instead of the crappy cheap $5 random brand lights.

Or buy 4x6 or 5x7 housings that have replaceable bulbs, and buy good Silverstar bulbs.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Yeah, I'm not saying the TLG price was bad. I was just trying to clarify that everything on eBay isn't cheap crap, and that eBay doesn't actually make anything, both of which were implied by the wording and sentence structure you chose. And I was just trying to point out that it was actually two HID kits you get with the TLG kit. Generally, projector headlight installs don't install two projectors per side. They have one projector on each side, and a reflector housing for high beams, using halogen lights. As a result, you'd actually need two HID kits, as well as the custom wiring necessary to run the projectors properly as high beams. So the pricing is more like this, if you want to break it down, and buy things individually:

$430 - hand-made Fiero projector headlight housings
$400 - $200 x 2 for good quality HID kits
$100 - custom relay harness for 2x dual-beam HID

Even the $800 price is going to be cheaper than buying bits separately at retail prices, unless you go with the really cheap and crappy HID kits, or just stick with halogen bulbs in the headlights (you don't have to use HID).

You'll still need a special harness to have the projectors do high beams correctly, though, from what I can tell, even if you just want to use halogens.

Just to make one correction so that there isn't false information out there... you do in fact need to use HID bulbs/ballasts with these projectors. Regular halogen bulbs will not fit, and if you somehow force them to fit, they will run too hot for the projectors and you risk melting them.
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of the Embrace Racing Headlights. I bought the cheap HID's and ballasts on Ebay knowing they were cheap, but I wanted the lights and to get them running at minimal cost I went that way. I also built my own relay and harness setup. Originally I made it with a bunch of relays and toggle switches to allow me to adjust what way I wanted the lights to work. After playing around I decided on how I wanted them to work and now I have different relays and fusing for each individual light and ballast. I mounted this all in the front battery well this last summer with industrial relays and terminals and I like it very well. I have had to replace the bulbs already since the cheap ones do go dim fast. This next year I will probably replace all of the bulbs and the ballasts that way I don't have to worry about them dimming down.

In my view this is a great option for those who don't want the pop up headlights. They look good and they give out pretty good light.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:
Just to make one correction so that there isn't false information out there... you do in fact need to use HID bulbs/ballasts with these projectors. Regular halogen bulbs will not fit, and if you somehow force them to fit, they will run too hot for the projectors and you risk melting them.

How would you have xenon bulbs fit, but not halogen? The xenon bulbs are longer, so halogen should fit fine. I could see heat being an issue if the diameter is too small or something, and the projectors aren't ventilated well enough. Are you using the same Morimoto projectors in the headlights, as is listed on the TLG site? Or is TLG providing different projectors and you're only providing the plastic and buckets to them? The information on the two web sites isn't really clear on that.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

How would you have xenon bulbs fit, but not halogen? The xenon bulbs are longer, so halogen should fit fine. I could see heat being an issue if the diameter is too small or something, and the projectors aren't ventilated well enough. Are you using the same Morimoto projectors in the headlights, as is listed on the TLG site? Or is TLG providing different projectors and you're only providing the plastic and buckets to them? The information on the two web sites isn't really clear on that.

I haven't tried to put a halogen bulb inside the projector because my supplier for the projectors advised that it will run too hot. I also read that it will not fit (possibly the diameter of the halogen is larger than the xenon, not the length). Regardless, the projectors are compact in size and this limits how much heat they can dissipate. Halogen bulbs will damage the projectors. 55W HID kits are also not recommended. The standard 35W HID kits are the only compatible bulb/ballast combination that I would recommend using.

I supply TLG with the kits which include the Morimoto H1 projectors.

Thanks!
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-06-2014 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't tried to put a halogen bulb inside the projector because my supplier for the projectors advised that it will run too hot. I also read that it will not fit (possibly the diameter of the halogen is larger than the xenon, not the length). Regardless, the projectors are compact in size and this limits how much heat they can dissipate. Halogen bulbs will damage the projectors. 55W HID kits are also not recommended. The standard 35W HID kits are the only compatible bulb/ballast combination that I would recommend using.

I supply TLG with the kits which include the Morimoto H1 projectors.

Thanks!

Maybe you could update the site with this information, and possibly include a link to the Morimoto page for the projectors being used, in case they include further documentation about what can be used in the housing?

Lack of documentation on what can be used acceptably and reliably in projector housings on the market, is a very widespread problem. It's why I had to return the headlights I bought for my truck, and I'm still using the factory reflectors instead of HIDs. :-/
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem, I can update my website soon with that info. Needs to be updated anyways!
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-06-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No problem, I can update my website soon with that info. Needs to be updated anyways!

Thanks!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Website updated

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave