QUICK ENGINE BAY CLEANUP QUESTION by ttt123
Started on: 01-02-2014 07:36 AM
Replies: 18 (537 views)
Last post by: ttt123 on 01-03-2014 01:13 PM
ttt123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a search and must not be using the right words can someone direct me to a thread about eliminating unnecessary things in the engine bay? For example can I consolidate some of those vacuum lines, is there any emissions I can delete, wiring etc. Just want to clean it up a bit while I have my motor out.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can eliminate the double tube that is mounted on the firewall. All you need is a small diameter connection from the EGR solenoid to the engine air filter.

Jonathan
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The next time I drop an engine or before one goes back into my GT i'm going to remove the insulation and spray Lizard Skin
on everything.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 01-02-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on what features you want to keep, or what you're doing with a swap or with the engine out, there's quite a bit you can eliminate.

If you don't want/need cruise control or are converting to digital cruise, you can eliminate the vacuum lines, canister, diaphragm, and throttle cable for it.

You didn't say which engine/car you have exactly, but with the 2.8 you can pull the top plenum off and convert to stainless steel vacuum lines, or do some fanciful routing to tuck them a bit as well, so the engine looks cleaner. Converting to a digital EGR will also allow you to get rid of some more vacuum lines. Converting to a 7730 ECM will also allow you to switch to DIS, and you can eliminate the distributor and the ugly spark plug wire routing, allowing you mount the coil packs elsewhere and tuck the plug wires, for a cleaner top end.

Another thing you can do is pull out all the old insulation and clean up any surface rust or such, repaint spots, and install new insulation, or go with something like Lizard Skin, for a much nicer looking engine bay.

There are quite a huge number of things you can do, but it depends on what engine/trans you're using, and what options your car came with.
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry...its an 85 with the 2.8 4/sp manual.

i plan on doing the 3.4l block and possibly turbo. i have the car stripped down to the frame right now except the motor which will be out this weekend. then its going on the rotisserie to start the fun stuff. my friend is building his in my barn as well and his is already on the rotisserie but he's going 3.8sc... I'm not looking for that much motor for this car. just a quick fun daily driver for work.

any input on deleting and cleaning up the looks is appreciated.

thanks
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ttt123:

sorry...its an 85 with the 2.8 4/sp manual.

i plan on doing the 3.4l block and possibly turbo

If you want to go that route, then I'd really recommend looking at doing the 7730 swap, as it lets you add a knock sensor as well, and has a bit more tunable than the stock Fiero ECM is. And with DIS and a few other things, you can also eliminate a fair bit of vacuum lines on the engine.
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

If you want to go that route, then I'd really recommend looking at doing the 7730 swap, as it lets you add a knock sensor as well, and has a bit more tunable than the stock Fiero ECM is. And with DIS and a few other things, you can also eliminate a fair bit of vacuum lines on the engine.

thanks, I'll do some more reading up on it. I've built tons of old school camaros but i am honestly just an idiot when it comes to the ...... what you said lol but i do want to do it right so research here i come.

thanks
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a good thread for decluttering the 2.8 engine bay with pics:
http://realfierotech.com/ph...opic.php?f=3&t=16628
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Here is a good thread for decluttering the 2.8 engine bay with pics:
http://realfierotech.com/ph...opic.php?f=3&t=16628

wow great link, thank you very much. getting more excited the more i read. anyone have any hp numbers for 3.4l swaps? turbo or no turbo.

thanks
brian
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^ That thread is a really good thread.

One of the things I do first with every Fiero I've ever bought is remove all that crazy insulation in the engine bay along the space frame. All that mess is good for is getting covered in grime and filth. I remove it all, thoroughly clean all the surfaces, and then hit everything with Duplicolor gloss black. When you do that you'll notice everything seems to look a whole lot better. Then if you have the V6 just scrub everything down super good to make all the red surfaces pop, or if you have the I4 paint the air intake canister and the valve cover hi temp gloss black.

From there it's then a matter of doing more advanced stuff like relocating wires.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero84Freak

4787 posts
Member since Feb 2002
The 3.4L swap that comes from the 1993-1995 F-bodies puts out around 165-ish HP, so it's roughly 25+ HP over stock. I've driven a few 3.4L swaps and it's a good beginner's engine swap.
PFF
System Bot
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

^^^^^ That thread is a really good thread.

One of the things I do first with every Fiero I've ever bought is remove all that crazy insulation in the engine bay along the space frame. All that mess is good for is getting covered in grime and filth. I remove it all, thoroughly clean all the surfaces, and then hit everything with Duplicolor gloss black. When you do that you'll notice everything seems to look a whole lot better. Then if you have the V6 just scrub everything down super good to make all the red surfaces pop, or if you have the I4 paint the air intake canister and the valve cover hi temp gloss black.

From there it's then a matter of doing more advanced stuff like relocating wires.

ya the car is completly stripped, interior, all fiberglass including roof, etc. I'm going to blast the space frame down and repaint the whole thing on the rotisserie. then decide what upgrades to make from there. i'll probably start a build thread for mine and my buddies car saturday night.

ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ttt123

314 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

The 3.4L swap that comes from the 1993-1995 F-bodies puts out around 165-ish HP, so it's roughly 25+ HP over stock. I've driven a few 3.4L swaps and it's a good beginner's engine swap.

thank you for the info. i know the 3.8 is the favorite but I've just wrench on cars enough ..... i just want to do something simple and enjoy it before spring. swapping out the lower end and repainting and updating this car is something that's not going to take to much of my time.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Move battery to front.
Remove de-icing lines that go to throttle body. (On the V6)
Remove cooling tubes that go to coil and alternator. (unless it's an 88)
Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 01-02-2014).]

ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Move battery to front.
Remove de-icing lines that go to throttle body. (On the V6)
Remove cooling tubes that go to coil and alternator. (unless it's an 88)
Kit

thanks.

anyone have any idea what kind of weight your knocking off by getting rid of these things? I'm going to ditch everything i don't need or want. replace all the padding with dyno mat, delete a/c(live in Michigan.. just don't use it much in the summer) and all components, i think newer carpet would be a little lighter then that burber house carpet used in the fiero lol etc. the lighter the better
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

anyone have any idea what kind of weight your knocking off by getting rid of these things?

This thread has a bunch of individual component weights:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/112942.html
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

This thread has a bunch of individual component weights:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/112942.html

very cool, thank you so much.

does anyone know of anyone who does the 7730 ecm swap... meaning a plug and play type thing that can just be purchased?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-03-2014 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

very cool, thank you so much.

does anyone know of anyone who does the 7730 ecm swap... meaning a plug and play type thing that can just be purchased?

I don't know if he has any kits or anything, but you can talk to Ryan (DarthFiero on here) at http://gmtuners.com/ to get more info. There's also a very extensive thread about swapping the 7730 somewhere in the Construction Zone section of the forum, I think.
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock