Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  A review of the people and places that helped my 86 go.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
A review of the people and places that helped my 86 go. by Bigjake34
Started on: 01-02-2014 04:42 AM
Replies: 6 (358 views)
Last post by: jetsnvettes2000 on 01-02-2014 11:37 PM
Bigjake34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bigjake34Send a Private Message to Bigjake34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the spring of 2010, I was home on R&R leave from Afghanistan. During my stay, My best friend convinced me to buy a Hot Rod. Just so happened, that a 1986 Fiero GT was on Craigslist for $500 bucks. Now to make it a "Hot Rod". I hadn't heard of Pennock's yet so I didn't have much information to go by. So, we decided to go "old School" and put a 500 HP small block into my little car. While finishing my time in Afghanistan, I bankrolled the project and my friend performed the work along with some others. To make the story a bit more interesting, I'll skip ahead. He and his friends managed to install my motor and the car ran, but there were issues.
1. it would run out of gas on hard acceleration.
2. It overheated...not too much, but hot.
3. other odds and ends.
Ok, so the title says review. I'll be reviewing my engine guy, the transmission shop that built my new transmission, the transmission control unit, and the finisher. I did work too, but I'll not be reviewing myself...lol

ENGINE: 383 SBC bored .040 over, Keith Black Pistons and rods, Crower solid lift tight lash cam, Scorpion roller rockers 1:5, Weiand Stealth intake, Dart II Iron Eagle Platinum heads, Archie install kit.
Builder: Steve Kotenberg- Oshkosh, WI
Review: **** 4/5 stars- Steve has been my best friend for over 30 years. He is one of the most knowledgeable people I know when it comes to cars and racing. He has been building cars for almost 20 years, but has recently started to build engines also. He is a graduate of the Fox Valley Tech. College diesel mechanics program and this just adds to his know how and expertise. When he first built this motor, we had an issue with the oil filter relocation and it lost oil pressure and spun a bearing. After tear down and rebuild there have been no issues with the motor. The power the motor makes in this car has been described as scary, insane, and Holy CRAP!! I do not hesitate to recommend Steve to build a solid motor for anyone. If interested please message me and I'll get you in contact with him.

Transmission: 4t65e HD 3.29 final drive 3500 billet custom torque converter.
Builder: Stryker Transmission- Minneapolis, MN
Review: **** 4/5 stars- After burning out the 4t60 used initially in the conversion, I needed a transmission that could stand up to the approx. 525 HP and the torque of a 383. I shopped around on the net and found 1. There are few sources for performance 4t65e transmissions and 2. The places available were priced well into the $3000 range. I found a page for a HD 4t65 at http://www.strykertransmission.com/home/strykerhd so I gave them a call. They were extremely helpful and asked for my input on every aspect and option for the build. Their customer service was awesome. The transmission was complete as ordered in 2 weeks including the custom torque converter. The trans is solid and shifts like a dream. Only hiccup was the torque converter initially did not fit on the Archie flywheel, but I called stryker and they had me ship it to them. They fixed the issue and I had the converter back in a week. Yes, I had to pay for shipping...but only because they had moved into larger facility and did not have their UPS account set up they paid to ship it back to me. For me, the customer service is what sold me. I highly recommend Stryker Transmission for any transmission upgrades. You will find them at www.strykertransmission.com I hope you will be happy with them, I know I was.

Transmission Control Unit: Magnashift TCM806
Builder: Magnashift- Edgewood, NM
Review: ***** 5/5 stars- Of course I needed a Transmission Control to run an electronic transmission. Again after searching the net I found Magnashift. Their control unit was the best price and had all the features that the other more expensive controllers had and then some. This controller even has "launch control", which is basically a trans-brake an awesome feature which is standard on both of Magnashift's trans controllers. The owner of Magnashift is a Fiero enthusiast and as with Stryker their customer service was awesome. If you need a transmission control unit, check out Magnashift. http://magnashift.com/index.html

Finisher: Fixed the major issues and installed new transmission
Who: Steve LaPlant - Green Bay, WI... Pennock's name- 86soon3.4
Review: ***** 5/5 stars- I found that after the initial install there were some issues. The car was strong, but had a fuel feed issue which caused it to stall on hard acceleration. The car over heated, not excessive, but enough to be concerned, and of course, the transmission had burned out. I was in the Army at the time and shipped the car back to Wisconsin to be fixed by one of the original install guys. Unfortunately, he did not have time. So, after almost a year of sitting in my parents yard, I asked the members of Fox Valley Fieros for assistance. Steve stepped up along with Rob and they came picked up the car and went to work. Steve found and corrected the fuel issue as well as upgraded the fuel system to be safe and reliable. He corrected the overheating issue by replacing the coolant tubes and removing the "custom" tubes from original installers. During his work Steve really paid attention to all of the details. We replaced the brake lines and replaced the exhaust to make it a true dual exhaust. Steve also installed the new transmission. He fabricated new mounts and modified the cradle for the transmission. He installed the Control Unit and custom made the axles. Steve's work was incredible, he was extremely professional and it shows in his work. Very detail oriented.

Lots to read so no pics. I will post some, just let me know what you would like to see.

Jake
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am glad I could help out.

Happy motoring!!

Steve
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is good to see stories where vendors delivered as they were supposed to. Kudos to everyone involved. Sounds like one mean Fiero, too.

Thank you for your service to our country.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a 383 stroker in one of mine too. I made a mistake and just built up the stock auto. It wouldnt hold it. As far as your cutting out, mine did that too because of 2 things. The carb sat on the manifold at an angle...the V8 wasnt designed to go sideways. The other was vapor lock from the heat in the engine bay. I put insulation on the fuel line, then put a wood wedge spacer under the carb. That kept heat off the fuel bowls so it didnt boil out and let me level the carb. No more engine problems after that. You can get the wedge spacer from Jegs or Summit for around $10.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bigjake34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bigjake34Send a Private Message to Bigjake34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for info on the vapor lock, it was actually the pick-up the original installer used. It was just a hose with a filter sock on it...it was floating. ROB !!! see I didn't forget to mention you, you were an incredible asset and right there to help with parts or manpower everytime something came up. Thanks.

Jake
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bigjake34:

thanks for info on the vapor lock, it was actually the pick-up the original installer used. It was just a hose with a filter sock on it...it was floating. ROB !!! see I didn't forget to mention you, you were an incredible asset and right there to help with parts or manpower everytime something came up. Thanks.

Jake

LOL No prob bud!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock