Yet Another 3800 Swap Build '87 GT 3800 Auto by radrace19
Started on: 12-30-2013 05:46 PM
Replies: 13 (1420 views)
Last post by: Fieromaineac on 04-19-2017 04:27 PM
radrace19

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radrace19Send a Private Message to radrace19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone. My name is Greg. I’ve been around Fiero’s since they were new on the street.

My dad purchased a 1984 2M4 manual then when I was 16 I had the chance to buy a 1986 SE manual V6 from a family friend for a good price I jumped on it. My friend like it so he found and purchased a 1987 GT auto.
Now a few years ago my dad sold his trusty ’84 and picked up a very clean ’88 GT manual.

I’ve been into racing the late model 3800 Grand Prix’s. The quickest I’ve went is 11.24 using the M90 supercharger. That car saw its last track appearance last summer when something in the transmission broke on the starting line, and the demod began.

That is about enough with the history and on to why this thread exists.

Purchased a rolling 1987 GT shell. The current plan is to drop in our Grand Prix power plant that dynoed at 400hp to the wheels.
The engine is a 100K mile plus short block, Intense Racing Stage 3 heads and stage 3 camshaft. Stock Gen 5 supercharger with the inlet bored out to 80mm to match the BBK 80mm LS1 throttle body. ZZP Stage 3 Gen 5 intercooler. LS6 MAF sensor. ATI overdrive balancer and many supercharger pullies. Currently it has a 2.6” pulley and is pushing about 16 psi on a good day with C16 race fuel.

The Transmission is fully built. It has a ZZP input and output shafts and all other internal upgrades. 3.29 gear ratio with GMR Torsen differential. The trans is currently with Tim King getting a refresh so it can take more abuse.
Transmission control will be handled by the Powertrain Control Solutions TCM-2000. We will also incorporate the GSM-5000 push button shifter and add the paddle shifter on the steering wheel for added fun. The TCM-2000 makes tuning a breeze since the adjustments are done in real time instead of the OEM PCM which to flash you would need to stop and make your adjustments.
The Gear Shift Module (GSM) is a nice touch because it is a push button shifter and will fit nicely into the stock manual console cover we have. This also reduce the work involved is getting shifter cables installed and to function correctly.

I’m still gathering parts but as of right now I am stripping the stock Fiero engine harness. I have already stripped and separated the 3800 harness, and need to order the PCS harness.
Once it warms back up some or I make some room in the garage I will pull the engine cradle out and do some mock up for engine and transmission mounts.

Here is the '87 as it sits

The disassembly of the 3800 engine harness

Pictures will follow as I get them.
Thanks for reading,
Greg

[This message has been edited by radrace19 (edited 12-31-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
radrace19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radrace19Send a Private Message to radrace19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(Reserved)
radrace19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radrace19Send a Private Message to radrace19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Project is starting to move along nicely now.
Ended up purchasing engine and transmission mounts/adapters from West Coast Fiero. That saved us at least a week trying to make our own.

We are in the process of wiring up the custom harness and adding the PCS harnesses also.

New steering wheel with PCS paddle shifters and digital display

Here is a picture of the paddles w/o the steering wheel

Aeromotive stealth pump kit added to tank

Close up picture of pump installed

First test fit of dirty engine. Looking to find places that needed trimming

Here is our new console plate fresh off of the CNC cutter

Picture of the above plate getting cut out

Video of the plate being cut

Here is what the shifter buttons will look like once installed

Video of me testing the Gear Select Module on the floor.

[This message has been edited by radrace19 (edited 10-08-2014).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming along nicely. Good luck with the swap. IMO, the 3800SC is an excellent engine choice.
On the Automotive fuel pump I notice that it sits in the front of the tank that keeps it out of the area that has the baffles. If this is the case just keep an eye out for fuel starvation under hard acceleration or turns. It may work out fine but the baffles were put there for a reason.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

radrace19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radrace19Send a Private Message to radrace19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pump is actually the phantom kit.
http://aeromotiveinc.com/phantom/

It is designed for older tanks without baffles in them. We had to trim the filler tube and the vent tube inside the tank, but that shouldn't matter at all.
It should actually work very well in this tank.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
radrace19....would love to chat with you in regards to the PCS setup...I think I would like to add that to my 328 replica.

I am about to drop the 3.4 Turbo that Jerry sold me a few months back into it and would like to add the paddle shifters.
radrace19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radrace19Send a Private Message to radrace19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the car started late on Sunday
Need to get some axles built and adjust the engine calibration some so it idles a little better.

Video will come soon.
-Greg
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that a lokar tranny dipstick?
radrace19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radrace19Send a Private Message to radrace19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it is.
I used the Lokar TD-34L60EFM (stainless) or use the XTD-34L60EFM (Black).

While the transmission was out and still on the ground, I checked the fill level vs the stock dipstick and tube.
The level on the Lokar stick slightly lower than stock, so just fill to the top of marked area on the Lokar tube.
-Greg

[This message has been edited by radrace19 (edited 09-30-2014).]

radrace19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radrace19Send a Private Message to radrace19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well went to the track last night for the first time.
First easy pass it run a 12.19 @ 110

This is in all street trim and 3.0" supercharger pulley.

2nd pass it broke the drivers side axle shaft after launching at 2000 rpm compared to the 1200 rpm on the 1st pass. This was a parts store Fiero automatic axle.
The axle broke on the outside of the main shaft. My guess w/o pulling it apart yet is where the retainer clip snaps on the shaft.

-Greg
radrace19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2017 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radrace19Send a Private Message to radrace19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a little update.
Our wrap job is almost complete.

Got the Holley EFI system all installed and, new DSS axles.

-Greg
PFF
System Bot
Fieromaineac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaineacSend a Private Message to FieromaineacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by radrace19:

The pump is actually the phantom kit.
http://aeromotiveinc.com/phantom/

It is designed for older tanks without baffles in them. We had to trim the filler tube and the vent tube inside the tank, but that shouldn't matter at all.
It should actually work very well in this tank.

radrace19, what model Aeromotive Phantom fuel pump are you using with the 3800 and is it working well for you.

radrace19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radrace19Send a Private Message to radrace19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Used the Phantom 340 Stealth system. Part number 18688.

Yes it is working very well. When the engine combo was in our Grand Prix we were using an Aeromotive A1000 pump and this one is much quieter.

-Greg
Fieromaineac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2017 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaineacSend a Private Message to FieromaineacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info Greg!

Dana

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock