New Indy with 171 miles. by David Hambleton
Started on: 12-26-2013 05:11 PM
Replies: 16 (541 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 12-29-2013 12:34 AM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-26-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dat price
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dburger:

Dat price

$26,900 in 2013 is $11,992 in 1984 per www.usinflationcalculator.com

That's a discount price for a new Fiero Indy!

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 12-26-2013).]

sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that is awesome, but I'd be afraid to drive it anywhere or even roll it.

And the speedo is already broken?

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The talk about the "rare" automatic transmission ruined it for me. It's a nice car, but spreading false hyperbole is a turn-off.

I'd rather invest $26K in the stock market versus a car that you can't drive.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, looks clean! And a LOT of pictures!
amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He boasted all origional I told him the factory horn button was missing and he told me I did not know what I was talking about. He said he knows these cars inside and out and the button came on the car that way???? Nice car but based off of Barrett Jackson sales of the Fiero he will never get what he is asking!

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom\1986 turbo GT
Founder of Mason Dixon Fiero Owners Group
NYFOC Member

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldnt give you $1000 for any car that old with that few miles. Everything in it needs rebuilt or resealed. It would be a great parts car. Id be scared to drive it anywhere out of town for fear of breaking down. Cars have to be used to be reliable. Only exception would be one kept in humidity, temp controlled room, with tires off the floor, engine smogged, all fuel lines drained and dried...the whole time...and able to prove it.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd drive it...
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't worry about lack of use. Just replace what breaks or leaks just like any other 'unused' car.

I bought a Formula in March 2008 that had 5,200 kilometers (3,231 miles) on it & drove it 3.5 hours home down the highway.
It hadn't been licensed for 15 years; the owner said he drove it occasionally around the neighbourhood to keep it working.
The only parts that had been replaced were the battery & heater core; it was like a showroom car; no wear nowhere!
It has 24,372 kilometers (15,144 miles) on it now. One caliper, the master cylinder & the distributor have been replaced.

It's awesome having a 'new' Fiero; it's a little better than the '84 SE I bought new (now with 363,000 kilometers - 225,555 miles).

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 12-27-2013).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldnt want to pay a tow charge of $150 a week. If you drove it very far it would break something everytime. I couldnt afford to drive it. Had a friend who tried that on a car he traded a house for. Something broke EVERY time he drove it anywhere. Radiator, then battery, then alternator, then window stuck, then locks broke, windshield wipers didnt work, turn signals quit, brakes went out, clutch went out, steering rack went out. That was in the first month or two. He sold it but not in time. His fiance left him over it. Only good that came out of it was his regular gas station gave him free gas if he left it parked out front every day he didnt try to drive it.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-27-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I wouldnt give you $1000 for any car that old with that few miles. Everything in it needs rebuilt or resealed. It would be a great parts car. Id be scared to drive it anywhere out of town for fear of breaking down. Cars have to be used to be reliable. Only exception would be one kept in humidity, temp controlled room, with tires off the floor, engine smogged, all fuel lines drained and dried...the whole time...and able to prove it.

Agreed, but they are nice to look at, even if I wouldn't want one in my collection for the same reasons you mentioned. I prefer to drive my vehicles, but I do know of a dealership owner that has 20+ brand new Fox Mustangs sitting in a climate controlled room. One of them is a '79 Indy Pace Car edition with the spoilers and trim still in their boxes (those items were usually dealer installed upon delivery) The guy is a fanatic. He even keeps the room relatively dark and filters out UV light. Sure, his rides are great time capsules, but sometimes it bothers me to think that these vehicles aren't really performing the job they were meant to do.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nobody buys a 30 year old car with 171 miles on it with the intent of it being a daily driver. Whining about the reliability of a trailer queen is just silly.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Nobody buys a 30 year old car with 171 miles on it with the intent of it being a daily driver. Whining about the reliability of a trailer queen is just silly.

True. But the majority of the Fiero crowd here drive their Fieros. $26k for a pretty garage ornament is expensive. Its in the same category as the 88 GT that comes up for sale with insanely low mileage for $25k.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

I wouldn't worry about lack of use. Just replace what breaks or leaks just like any other 'unused' car.

I bought a Formula in March 2008 that had 5,200 kilometers (3,231 miles) on it & drove it 3.5 hours home down the highway.
It hadn't been licensed for 15 years; the owner said he drove it occasionally around the neighbourhood to keep it working.
The only parts that had been replaced were the battery & heater core; it was like a showroom car; no wear nowhere!
It has 24,372 kilometers (15,144 miles) on it now. One caliper, the master cylinder & the distributor have been replaced.

It's awesome having a 'new' Fiero; it's a little better than the '84 SE I bought new (now with 363,000 kilometers - 225,555 miles).

So... I've had 5 years & 12,000 miles of fun in the Formula, replaced the 3 parts noted above & have had no leaks or tows.
Some people expressed the opinion that all the seals would be shot, moving parts would break etc. etc. etc.
My opinion is that all of the 'other parts' are in new condition & look like it. I'll just fix what needs fixing when it needs it.

A 'new' 1984 car for less than $12,000 1984 dollars is likely cheaper than restoring a 1984 car to 'like new' condition.
If you're worried, take it apart & recondition where necessary. It'd be nice & clean to work on!

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

True. But the majority of the Fiero crowd here drive their Fieros. $26k for a pretty garage ornament is expensive. Its in the same category as the 88 GT that comes up for sale with insanely low mileage for $25k.

It's expensive to you or someone who is looking for a 30 year old car to drive. $26k for a collector car is cheap to car collectors. It may still be overpriced for what it is, but that's a cheap entry-level collectible.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

It may still be overpriced for what it is, but that's a cheap entry-level collectible.

True, but as an investment I could pick a stock or mutual fund with my eyes closed that has a better return on investment than a collectible Fiero.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock