Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Could someone please help me with my serpentine belt? 4.9L Question

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Could someone please help me with my serpentine belt? 4.9L Question by suckerpunch5
Started on: 12-23-2013 10:03 PM
Replies: 5 (221 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 12-24-2013 02:17 AM
suckerpunch5

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for suckerpunch5Send a Private Message to suckerpunch5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, this is driving me crazy. I can not get my new serpentine belt onto this caddy motor. No, unfortunately I did not to the engine swap. If I did, I would probably have no trouble replacing the belt. Also, it is the correct belt size, identical to the one that came off. There is no spring loaded tensioner that originally was on the 4.9L. It has AC, and I believe it is done with the idler pulley from some van (maybe a 93 GMC) on the right side, above the AC. It actually looks like the pic below, but without the tensioner pulley to the right of the alternator.

Normally I would expect some adjustable alternator bracket, but this one is not adjustable. So, are there any tips for getting the belt back on? I tried taking the alternator totally off, to give some wiggle room, but I couldn't get the alternator bolts to line back up through the bracket. The belt was causing to much tension, pulling the alternator down and over more than I could push it back. Should I try pulling off one of the idler pulleys? Is there any trick I am missing here?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GreenPlatypus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about a picture of your setup. Will be easier to see what you're working with, then we can go from there.
suckerpunch5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for suckerpunch5Send a Private Message to suckerpunch5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't really get a picture of it, cause it is in the car, and I can only capture about 2 pulleys at a time. It is just like the setup above, just without the pulley to the right of the alternator.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No tensioner? That's insane!
I would be looking to do a minor redesign and set it up like the one in the pic.
Ed Parks was using the tensioner off of a 93-95 Camaro 3.4 on his installs, IIRC.

Probably the only other way to do it would involve "levering" the belt into place with a big screwdriver while someone else "bumps" the starter. Not the safest way to get a belt on.
suckerpunch5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for suckerpunch5Send a Private Message to suckerpunch5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, I got it. Here is the solution. The crankshaft pulley does not have an outer rim. Once I noticed that, I realized it was the key. First, disconnect the battery. This is important for 2 reasons. First, it is much easier to run the belt through the upper pulleys (if your battery is in the original location). Second, it will keep the motor from accidentally running when you turn the engine over (I think. Actually, that is probably wrong. I think it still might have started, which makes the next step more important. Glad I didn't break my arms off!). It would probably be a good idea to remove your spark plugs too, but I did not. Leave the alternator and everything else bolted into place. You have to remove the passenger side rear tire to get access to the crankshaft pulley. Run the belt over all the top end pulleys, over, through and around everything except the crankshaft pulley at the bottom. Then loop as much of the belt as you can around the crankshaft pulley. On the crankshaft pulley is a 15mm bolt. Get a big ratchet and turn the crankshaft pulley. It should draw the belt into place on the crankshaft pulley as you turn it. Kinda like when your bike chain came off when you were a kid, and you turned the sprocket to get it back on. Viola! The impossible serpentine belt is now on, and with no tensioner.

[This message has been edited by suckerpunch5 (edited 12-24-2013).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

No tensioner? That's insane!
I would be looking to do a minor redesign and set it up like the one in the pic.
Ed Parks was using the tensioner off of a 93-95 Camaro 3.4 on his installs, IIRC.

Probably the only other way to do it would involve "levering" the belt into place with a big screwdriver while someone else "bumps" the starter. Not the safest way to get a belt on.

Mine has no tensioner either. I need to fix that one of these days. I've already had to replace the idlers once. Having no tensioner puts a lot of load on the bearings I suppose.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock