88 suspension by LornesGT
Started on: 12-23-2013 08:50 PM
Replies: 8 (434 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 12-25-2013 11:23 PM
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do all the 88's have the same suspension? I.e. formula, SE, GT
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Formula and GT had 2 sway bars. The 4 cyl coupe had just a front sway bar. All other components are the same.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The Formula and GT had 2 sway bars. The 4 cyl coupe had just a front sway bar. All other components are the same.

Spring rates are different. But there is no consensus on which springs came on which models. I've seen it across the board different. But generally the GT and Formula had stiffer springs.

1988 FRONT SPRING CODES
---------------
-10048402 FPJ (Stiffest)
-10048401 FPH |
-10068654 ARD |
-10068653 ARC |
-10068652 ARB (Softest)

Some people claim that all the springs have the same rate but different ride height. I don't agree with that. My 88 Coupe suspension rides like a Caddy compared to my 88 GT. My Butt dyno tells me that there is a difference in spring rate.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 12-24-2013).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Spring rates are different.

Some people claim that all the springs have the same rate but different ride height. I don't agree with that. My 88 Coupe suspension rides like a Caddy compared to my 88 GT. My Butt dyno tells me that there is a difference in spring rate.

If you look up the factory specs for the springs (wire diameter, coil diameter, active coils, free length, etc) and do than math to calculate the spring rate you too will find that the fronts are all within 3% of each other. The rears are a little harder to calculate as the diameter changes from top to bottom.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-054238.html

Your butt dyno might be feeling the differences in wheel diameter, tire size, tire composition, shock choice, bushing compliance or some other aspect that impacts overall ride harshness.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
Your butt dyno might be feeling the differences in wheel diameter, tire size, tire composition, shock choice, bushing compliance or some other aspect that impacts overall ride harshness.

I have heard that the 88 coupe front control arms had different part numbers from the GT/Formula control arms.
Since the metal is essentially identical, this could mean that the coupe had more compliant bushings.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My main thought is if I have a chance to snatch up some 88 stuff, cradle suspension and maybe the front stuff, I wouldnt have to worry about which model other than V6. Mine is an 86GT

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 12-24-2013).]

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you want to put an 88 suspension on an 86? That is a different question.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would grab any 88 rear cradle. The sway bar can be added independently if you want.
The 88 rear cradle is just about a bolt-in. (You'll need a couple of adapters and will have to change to coil-overs to provide enough clearance.)

The front is a different story. It can be swapped in, but it requires a bit of cutting and welding. More trouble than it's worth for most people.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should of just bought an 88 but I wasn't aware of the changes and at the time, it was hard enough to find a rust free GT without expensive travel. It is what is is now and an 88 is in the future to keep original.
I have looked at some company that offers a $1000 change to coil overs in the front found on this forum. At some point I do want to make it the best I can 3800 or V8 and all that.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock