Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Fiberfab Bonito and a Fiero Build (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiberfab Bonito and a Fiero Build by benabelly
Started on: 12-21-2013 09:21 PM
Replies: 64 (4651 views)
Last post by: GODFATHER on 02-07-2017 03:16 PM
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might want to see if you can get some Datsun / Nissan 280Z
headlight buckets to fit.
IP: Logged
benabelly

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benabellySend a Private Message to benabellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone.

The bumper beam is what's really in the way. I'm going to head out there right after dinner and try to get the fender on at the front. The back is a problem too. The space between the back of the wheelwell and the front of the door is much wider than the Fiero, so that needs to be trimmed. Then I purposely left a portion of the a-pillar on the Bonito fenders which I have to cut off.

I think what I'm going to do is line up the Bonito fender with Fiero fender at the wheelwell center and mark off the shape of the Fiero fender at the back of the fender and cut the new fender to match. I'll make it a little long so I have room to trim it down. That should give me the shape of the Fiero fender on the Bonito fender at the a-pillar and the correct width of material between the wheelwell and door.

That's the plan. The front end didn't go on and "fit" like the rear fenders.

Here's what it looks like right now. You can't see it, but the wheelwells are way too far forward over the tires.:

[This message has been edited by benabelly (edited 01-02-2014).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might find it easier in the long run to cut the fender lip off all the way around giving yourself as much edge as needed to ensure you capture all of the transition curve from fender to fender lip, something like this:

Then bond it back on further back so that the center of the Bonito fender is centered on the Fiero wheel. This way it may be easier to maintain the shape of the fender opening. Of course you'll have a gap to fill at the front edge.
benabelly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benabellySend a Private Message to benabellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got it. I was thinking about that to correct the wheelbase difference if necessary, but what I'm doing should bring the wheelwell over the center of the tire. Removing from what's under the red in the first picture will bring the fender back and should center the wheelwell.

The second picture is with the wheelwell moved back.

The third picture is the back of the fender cut and the whole fender then moved back.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your idea with the shorter nose looks better than my idea.
benabelly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benabellySend a Private Message to benabellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cut, you can see the fender is in more and farther back, and test fitted, a picture with the Fiero fender and 1 picture that looks cool.

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Methinks it's got a lot of potential to look good when you're done!
benabelly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benabellySend a Private Message to benabellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's hope. I'm going to go out and trim the back of the driver's side fender in a while and see what happens with the front tire lining up in the wheelwell.

I've been reading some threads at madmechanics, and here, and that's dangerous. Too many ideas. Some I had already, like using Dellorto carbs. I have them on the Aztec and they'll look great under a rear hatch/window. Maybe a targa roof. We'll see. I want to get the body fitted properly as it is and then go from there.
benabelly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benabellySend a Private Message to benabellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm currently stretching the driver's side Bonito door to the length of the Fiero door. I overdid it so I can cut it down to the original Fiero shape. I'll have a picture of that later. The door also needs more height. What I'm going to do is remove the Fiero skin and replace it with the Bonito skin and I do like the shape of the Fiero door, so I added the extra length.

Once the driver's door is skinned, I'm going to work on getting the front and rear fenders to line up with the door. I thought it was a good idea to have a sort of set position to work towards than just slapping them on the car with no idea about where they really needed to be, plus the door is a good, central point, and it's probably the least adjustable point, so I thought it would be best to work off the door.

Now, I have a question for those who have stretched their cars. I'm going to get some tubing. I want to do a stretch to 100 inches. What size tubing did you use?

The reason for stretching is that I think the car will look better, but also because I'm considering a longitudinal engine installation. I'm not 100% sure what engine, but I want the length in case I need it, and I want the clearance in front of the engine, which seems to be very minimal on a stock wheelbase longitudinal set up. I'm very interested in the BMW and Mercedes V12 engines, and the SHO V6 and V8 engines and yes, the 302 Ford. I just can't get very excited about the transverse engine choices. Besides that, once I'm done and the car is at shows, I want people to wet themselves when they walk up to the car and see what's under the rear window. So I'm looking into engines that will make people wet themselves.

Thanks.
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the progress so far.

look here to see how I did the back of this project. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/086876.html

At 100" wb your not going to be able to get a V-12 in it, at 98.5 with the tub moved forward 3" relative to the axle centerlines an sbc was a tight fit.

Joe
benabelly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benabellySend a Private Message to benabellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Joe. I"ll look at your thread in a while. I appreciate the help.

Here's the picture I promised. I love the way the roof line looks with the rear fender. I'm really considering leaving the roof line this way with no fastback and no slanted rear window. I'd have to figure out a way to cover the engine, probably a combination of the original Fiero lid and something custom. But I really like the way the car looks in the picture.

And you can see the elongated door. It still needs the height added.

Here's the pic: This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by benabelly (edited 01-11-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the lines of this car. It kinda looks like a Ford GT40 had a baby with a Lexus or maybe an Acura NSX. I like it.

Jonathan
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Bonito has a great looking body style, look forward to seeing this one develop.

------------------
Pittsburgh Vehicle PPI
Mobile Auto Inspections in PA, OH, WV & MD
Specializing in Fiero's with a 20% Discount to PFF Members

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like it , but like said above I think it would look much better to rework the headlight buckets and use round headlights..

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
Northstar Rebuild

benabelly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benabellySend a Private Message to benabellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JB, it's not going to have round lights, but it's not going to have the original style lights either. The style of the car is going to be updated.
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
look forward to seeing your vision

------------------

85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
Northstar Rebuild

benabelly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for benabellySend a Private Message to benabellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.

I think the engine is decided. It's going to be a longitudinal 302 Ford, eventually with 4 Weber style carbs. Webers or Dellortos etc. "Bundle 'O' Snakes" headers. Turbo 325 4 speed. Pointing forward. It'll probably start out with 2 4 barrels.

The reasons for the Ford is because I want one, it's light, 460 pounds all steel, 415(?) with aluminum heads, it's pretty narrow, I've never had one. The choices came down to the the V6 SHO, V8 SHO and 302 and I decided on the 302. The Ford choice may make some people not too happy, but the Bonito has a couple Ford connections. One is the that the front was designed to resemble a GT40, another is that Fiberfab had a connection to Ford (not officially), because the first car stuff they built was a replacement front end for the first generation Mustang. It's a stretch of a connection, but it's something.

As for the transaxle, I did some checking. My numbers are 290 pounds for the whole TH325 transmission, including 78 pounds for the differential. I don't know how much, but I'm going with at least 50 pounds (plus the 78 for the differential) next to the engine, directly over the axles, therefore NOT behind the engine, leaving 162 behind the engine/axles. The weights of what seem to be the preferred transaxles from Porsche, all of which hang behind the engine, most of which are behind the axles, go from the high the 140's to almost 180. So the Turbo 325 is right in that range.

Yes, it's an automatic, but I will put a shift kit in it so it can be shifted manually when I choose too. My Austin A40 had a full manual Turbo 400 and it was a lot of fun to drive like that.

If I end up finding a Turbo 425 first, then that's what I'll use. As a matter of fact, that might be better for a lot of reasons. I still have the manual trans from the Austin. It's broken, but there's nothing wrong with the valve body or the deep pan. Hmmmmm.

Also, and I don't know if it will help, but there's a great dual sump (one front, one rear), oil pan for the 302 that might help a lot with the passenger side axle shaft issue.

There will be a wheelbase stretch - for looks.

The Fiero V6/4 speed are going in my Aztec. That will double it's horsepower.

I'm getting closer to knowing what the car will look like, but since I can't draw, I'll just have to build it for people to see.

I think that's it. Now I just have to get some more fiberglass and get back to work.
jwct7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwct7Send a Private Message to jwct7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Waiting with baited breath and drooling over the next phase of your build. Good Luck!
benabelly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benabellySend a Private Message to benabellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been cold here. The 2 doors are lengthened. I need to make them taller. I'll have some pictures next week.
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anything new happening with this build?

------------------

85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

benabelly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benabellySend a Private Message to benabellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm working on my Aztec, so the Bonito is on hold until the Aztec is done.

FYI - All the body panels I took off the Fiero are for sale except the roof/A-pillar panel.

And the VW engine from the Aztec is also for sale. Engine/transmission, complete. If anyone is interested, PM me. I'm in Central Florida, near Orlando.
PFF
System Bot
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the Aztec body going on a fiero chassis?
benabelly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benabellySend a Private Message to benabellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. I measured and measured and it could fit, but I decided against it.

The Aztec will end up with either the 454 out of my '57 Chevy with a Turbo 325 or 425 transmission or a V6 or V8 Taurus SHO engine/transmission. I haven't decided yet. I'm stuck between deciding whether I want it to handle reasonably well or just be completely insane. I'm also considering selling the Chevy.

GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to see if this was ever finished
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2017 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock