Newbie - please help with my punch list by notaguru
Started on: 12-21-2013 08:58 PM
Replies: 16 (414 views)
Last post by: weloveour86se on 12-25-2013 07:41 AM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 75, with all the experience and tools suggested by six decades of car ownership. I've just acquired a potentially very nice '88 GT.

The car has leather, gold wheels, and 40k miles. Everything works, interior is clean, and it has everything that came with it - Owner's Manual, case for the sunroof, cigarette lighter (!!), etc. The car was stored for many years, was registered in 2007 and driven a little, then put back in storage. Upon driving the car, most key items (engine, trans, steering, suspension) function properly - see notes re brakes and throttle. A few items need attention, and I'll be grateful for advice.

1. It was stored for most of its life in the sun, and was full of junk, spider webs, etc. Windows - inside/outside - were almost gummy. I cleaned it out but invite further suggestions.
2. There has been warpage/distortion of the plastic interior panels that fit around the shifter panel and the compartment behind the driver's right elbow. Can I remove them, put them in a jig, and heat them to restore the original shape? Same for the grills just below the windshield (hood UP).
3. The brake fluid is scary, with visible floating crap and discoloration. Can I just remove fluid, flush, and bleed?
4. The throttle must be depressed 3/4 before anything happens. This should be easy, but I'll appreciate pointers.
5. It needs paint. Should I remove the body panels and paint them away from the car? And isn't it a urethane body that requires special primer and paint?
6. Before painting it, I was thinking about buying an aftermarket plastic nosecone. Who makes the best, and most Ferrari-like?
7. The interior leather is in excellent visual condition, but feels like stiff cardboard. Plasticized? What do you use on GM "pleather"?
8. Is there a service manual online, or in this group?
9. Headliner needs replacing. It's pretty small - is there a kit, and if so, which is best?
10. The thin rubber trim at the bottom of the driver-side window (water blocker) is sun-rotted. Available? How to replace?

Thanks, gurus!

------------------
'88 GT "barn find" with 40,070 miles!

[This message has been edited by notaguru (edited 12-25-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!

You can spend hours here reading interesting threads & learning about your new hobby. Enjoy!

Lots of questions can be answered by perusing the 'Search' option (right side).
OGRE'S CAVE (along the top) & 'FAQs & How Tos' are good references too.

I got my 1st Fiero when I was 27; a 1984 SE 4 speed in May 1984 & am still driving it at 363,000 kilometers.

I've glued & clamped warped interior pieces with good results.
http://www.fierostore.com/ has lots of Fiero parts including headliners; I've installed their window dew wipes.
http://www.rodneydickman.com/catalog/index.php is a good source for parts too. He's a member here.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 12-21-2013).]

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was this the red one with tan interior in southern cal for sale? It had a badly faded hood. Regardless, do you have any pictures of the car you'd like to share?

Use to upload and share pictures.

If you can't get PIP to work, try using myfiero.com (currently down) to upload pictures, then copy the links and click the image button and past the link (this works for any website).

-Mitch

------------------
My Car - 87' GT 3800sc
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are also lucky enough to be in San Diego that has one of the most active Fiero Clubs on the Southwest Coast.

I'm sure one of them will catch this thread or you can seek them out.

Their last big outing a few months ago...
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:

1. It was stored for most of its life in the sun, and was full of junk, spider webs, etc. Windows - inside/outside - were almost gummy. I cleaned it out but invite further suggestions.
I work at a car dealership, the best thing we use to clean anything, anything at all, is Goo Gone or Industrial Solvent. It'll get of anything and leave you some shiny windows.
2. There has been warpage/distortion of the plastic interior panels that fit around the shifter panel and the compartment behind the driver's right elbow. Can I remove them, put them in a jig, and heat them to restore the original shape?
I have distortion almost exactly the same as what you have described, I am curious to see what answers you get
3. The brake fluid is scary, with visible floating crap and discoloration. Can I just remove fluid, flush, and bleed?
The first thing I did when I got my first Fiero in June was bleed the brakes, it was a dark brown with stuff in it, got all of the old stuff out and the pedal is nice and firm.
4. The throttle must be depressed 3/4 before anything happens. This should be easy, but I'll appreciate pointers.
5. It needs paint. Should I remove the body panels and paint them away from the car? And isn't it a urethane body that requires special primer and paint?
6. Before painting it, I was thinking about buying an aftermarket plastic nosecone. Who makes the best, and most Ferrari-like?

7. The interior leather is in excellent visual condition, but feels like stiff cardboard. Plasticized? What do you use on GM "pleather"?
There are a number of products out there that claim to bring old leather back to life, I prefer Armor All, but everyone has their preferences
The Factory Service manuals can be had for around $80 if you know where to look (mine came with my car), but they also make a Haynes manual for the Fiero
9. Headliner needs replacing. It's pretty small - is there a kit, and if so, which is best?
All I've been able to find for this is the actual backer-board itself for the headliner, you just need to put the fabric on yourself. Maybe someone else will have a better answer.
10. The thin rubber trim at the bottom of the driver-side window (water blocker) is sun-rotted. Available? How to replace?
These are called "Dew Wipes" and unfortuneatly for Fieros they are ectremely hard to come by. There is a guy on this forum making them at a very high quailty, and The Fiero Store sells them as well. Luckily I was able to find "new" OEM Dew Wipes when I was replacing mine.

Hope that helps,
Kyle

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 12-22-2013).]

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First - THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

Yes, this is red/tan, purchased in S California. 40k miles confirmed by the straightforward/honest seller, and by CarFax and service records. It spent years outside and unattended, so the red paint is quite bad, but before deciding on the quality of the paint job everything else must be straightened out so there's a better understanding of $$$$. At one point I thought these plastic cars used colored plastic panels, requiring no more than buffing/polishing to make them new.

Engine runs perfectly - I was surprised at the power available. Trans shifts correctly and controllably, and the fluid is an encouraging bright red.

Today I'll handle the brakes and HVAC vents, and will vac all the junk in the engine compartment. Since I won't be driving it for a while, I might pressure wash the engine compartment.

I'm delighted to report that under the car this morning was... nothing. When the car was temporarily brought back into service, the owner had spent $1.1k on seals, etc. Since I had driven it for a mile or so yesterday, I had worries.

So, the first 24 hours have been positive.

Some of the lessons learned so far:
---This group is terrific!!
---There's a local owners club.
---They're called "dew wipes".
---Multiple parts sources are available.
---The headliner is a plastic panel, and I can pull it and glue new fabric to it.
---Goo Gone removes crap from the windows.
---At least one owner has successfully "reformed" plastic interior parts.
---Manuals are available (just ordered a Haynes from an eBay seller).

So - this project is underway.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm 75, with all the experience and tools suggested by six decades of car ownership. I've just acquired a potentially very nice '88 GT.

The car has leather and gold wheels, and 40k miles. Everything works, interior is clean, and it has everything that came with it - Owner's Manual, case for the sunroof, cigarette lighter (!!), etc. The car was stored for many years, was registered in 2007 and driven a little, then put back in storage. Upon driving the car, most key items (engine, trans, steering, suspension) function properly - see notes re brakes and throttle. A few items need attention, and I'll be grateful for advice.

2. There has been warpage/distortion of the plastic interior panels that fit around the shifter panel and the compartment behind the driver's right elbow. Can I remove them, put them in a jig, and heat them to restore the original shape? Same for the grills just below the windshield (hood UP).

Thanks, gurus!

Welcome to the Madness! You will become addicted (if not already!)

Goo Gone works great on the glass - keep it off the plastic and vinyl - it can discolor it!

Depends on how much warpage but it can be put back into place - most use Gorilla Glue / Super glue to hold it in place - it will eventually warp again so some "maintenance" is required - keep your eyes on the "Mall" section as good clean non warped pieces show up on occasion.

Yes - clean, flush and bleed.

Could be the Throttle Position Sensor and / or the Idle Air Control valve stuck shut? Will it idle once started?

Panel off is the "cleanest" way - not sure about "special" primer and paint - I've had a few painted and painted one myself and used standard Automotive enamels

There are a few vendors making fiberglass noses with a Ferrari style - Amida - Jimmys - etc.

Can't help you here.

Several folks on here can email you a factory Service manual - Haynes and other's are a little "vague" and have some incorrect information in them.

The headliner is a soft fiberglass board with material glued to it. There are a couple folks on the forum that sell a "kit". Go to the Mall and search for "headliner".

Dew wipes are available from the Fiero Store - go to the "mall" and search for DIY_Stu. He makes high quality dew wipes but it's hit and miss. Rodney Dickman makes a stuby Phillips bit on a handle for removing the screws of the wipe - if you are handy at fabbing things, you can build one yourself - there are instructional threads on here that will help.

A few links to get you started!

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/072583.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/070656.html
http://www.rodneydickman.com/catalog/index.php
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/079750.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/067757.html

Good luck on your project - keep us posted on your progress!

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 12-22-2013).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's nice to have someone new join the forum who uses capital letters, punctuation, etc.
Maybe it's because like a lot of us he's not exactly "new"! Lol!
I am curious however, about the "leather and gold wheels".

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 12-22-2013).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:
It's nice to have someone new join the forum who uses capital letters, punctuation, etc.
Maybe it's because like a lot of us he's not exactly "new"! Lol!
I am curious however, about the "leather and gold wheels".

Sorry -- it's leather interior, gold wheels.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry -- it's leather interior, gold wheels.

Yes, of course. No "sorry" needed - just having a little fun at your expense!
You never know - you could be a rap star with leather & gold wheel spinners...

I think it's pretty cool that we have teenagers to septuagenarians joining to share in the fun!

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

---The headliner is a plastic panel, and I can pull it and glue new fabric to it.

Not plastic, unless it's been replaced. (There are some aftermarket fiberglass panels.)
It's made out of a pressed fiber. It's solid, but barely. Pretty much the color and consistency of potato chips.
It is possible to get it out, install new fabric, and reinstall it. (I've done it in two different cars.) You just need to be very careful. Nearly all of the plastic interior trim will need to be removed. That will require the removal of the seat belts.

Something that nobody has mentioned.
Since your car was outside for a long time, there is the possibility that mice, at one time, set up housekeeping in your heater ductwork.
You should remove your blower fan motor - fairly easy to do from inside the front compartment - and clean out the area where the squirrelcage fan is. A shop vac with a flexible hose will enable you to reach most of the necessary places.
There has been more than one Fiero lost because the blower resistor (really just a wire coil) ignited leaves and debris in the ductwork.

Welcome to our obsession! (I tell everyone that. If you don't get the "obsession" part, you will.)
Good luck with your project.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you have a Nice Fiero. Factory Leather Seats is fairly rare, your might have lumbar too. Post up some pics when you can.

For gluing the interior pieces to fix the bulging, I have used Max 1 Glue to fix it. This glue is like water and dries instantly and holds very strong.

http://www.mabrisystems.com/home.php?cat=252
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Sounds like you have a Nice Fiero. Factory Leather Seats is fairly rare, your might have lumbar too.

Leather seats are almost as uncommon as power lumbar seats, however, you could only get one or the other as an upgrade to the plain cloth seats. Meaning, you could order leather or lumbar, but not both.

As for the leather seats in this particular GT.....even though they are a little hardened from the sun I would do everything possible to condition the leather and save the. If you decide that it's something you don't want to deal with I have a very nice set of tan '88 GT cloth seats that I would trade you.

[This message has been edited by mrfiero (edited 12-22-2013).]

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're right - there is no lumbar cushion control.

I will work on that leather once I find out what magic treatment is best.

Sorry - but I will keep these seats, though I don't anticipate great durability due to the hardness of the leather (pleather?).
GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Griotsgarage.com has a product called 'Leather Care' that works very well on hardened leather. I have had great results with it! Rub on a fairly thick coating, let it soak in for a day or two and repeat until soft, should soften them up for you.
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM pending to the OP. IDK but hopefully you know how to check your PM's. No offense meant as it took me some time to figure it out myself.

Regarding #10...

edit...Oh yeah and only $65 plus shipping for a set.

Hope everyone has a very merry Xmas!!

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 12-25-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock