Steering rack mount...bushings? by Cygnus
Started on: 12-17-2013 12:26 PM
Replies: 5 (414 views)
Last post by: sspeedstreet on 12-18-2013 11:31 AM
Cygnus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CygnusSend a Private Message to CygnusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm about to embark on a steering rack R&R; it's an '88 Formula. I've got my Rodney Dickman steering rack bushing, and inner tie rods, and lock nut wrench. What I don't have are the bearings for the pinion shaft, and more to the point, the rubber parts that fit between the u-bolts and the rack itself. Does anyone know where to source these? I went to a couple of the big parts stores, and they had a part number, but no availability. Any help is appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any bearing supply house can match up the numbers on the bearings. You can also remove and clean them and take them with you to match them up- if you really need them. I rebuilt a high mileage 84 rack last summer and the bearings were fine.

I don't think the mount bushings are available. You'll have to find good used ones.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

Cygnus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CygnusSend a Private Message to CygnusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, Thanks! I know of a couple bearing houses around here, and if the bushings are too bad, I'll hack up an old inner-tube. Better than nothing.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be careful- the flat shape of the bushing and the square shape of the rack underneath the bushings are designed to keep the rack from rotating. You'll need to find good used ones. Also, inspect the rack housing real good underneath the bushings. They have been known to rot away to powder and break in two.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone was looking for bushings in the Mall and we got a little off topic discussing how we we couldn't find them and came up with other "options". https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/067915.html

There's no real detail there, but you might be able to contact someone for more details.

As for myself, I need to take some pictures to explain what I did, but it involves making a new bracket and using an old rubber bushing.

And, FWIW, I think the drivers side is still available. It should be the same as the ones used on the earlier models.

Bob
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Someone was looking for bushings in the Mall and we got a little off topic discussing how we we couldn't find them and came up with other "options". https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/067915.html

There's no real detail there, but you might be able to contact someone for more details.

Bob

I had a total brain fart when I posted I had a mold of that bushing. Sorry. I did a mold for the coolant pipe bushings below the steering rack.

Neil

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock