Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anyone notice a change in the ratings bar???

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone notice a change in the ratings bar??? by SuperchargedV6
Started on: 12-15-2013 09:40 AM
Replies: 25 (700 views)
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 12-17-2013 07:18 PM
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone else notice a change in the ratings bar level? I heard it mentioned and looked at mine. It was 172 and far tot he right in the green. I notice when it was mentioned that now it is the same 172 but left of the center in red. Just wondering if something was changed???? Rick B
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same ratio like yours I noticed a few days back, not concerned, but really wondered as I've hardly posted anything the last six months.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The triangle is a trend indicator. It was explained in a thread when Cliff added it, but I'll see if I can recp it for you. Basically, if someone rates you a positive it will nudge your triangle to the right or to the left if you get a negative. Now since this is a "trend" arrow not a rating bar, that trend is based off of a 30 day period. So say you get 5 nudges to the + on day 1, 5 days later you get 2 more +, 4 days later another 1 more + and time goes on without any thing until about the 28th day of the 30 day cycle. On that day you do something that pisses people off and get 6 negs. Well in 2 days those 5 +'s you got drop off and all of the sudden your arrow gows from 3 spaces into the green to 3 spaces into tthe red. So to boil it all down, you trend indicator only keeps a rating for 30 days (if I remember correctly) and then that rating is dropped off and the arrow corrects itself with the new number of ratings and their ratio. You could have had a really good day for ratings about a month ago and a not so good one more recently causing the change you noted. Hope that helps.

Oh and even if someone has you rated already as a + or - they can rate you again every so many days (I forget how often) by clicking on the "rate me" link and just resubmitting the rating they already have you at. It doesn't physically change your rating number, all it does is nudge your arrow one way or the other depending on what they had you rated as.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 12-15-2013).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In a nutshell, it is a simple way for people to just be pricks. If the pointer moves either direction but your physical rating number doesn't change, it means that someone has already rated you and is simply rating you again. This attempt to re-rate you moves the arrow in whatever direction. So if 10 people already have you rated from 5 years ago and you piss them off, they simply try to re-rate you which will move the arrow a LOT. I had you rated a + from a long time ago as well as KHW. I just tried to give you both a + rating and it simply moves the arrow more towards the green side. California Kid never had a rating from me but since I gave him a +, it added a number to his rating AND moved his arrow towards the green. If you ever saw Madcurls rating bar before he left this site, his physical rating numbers never changed but his bar actually went towards the red and then fell off of the chart yet he was never banned so it was just a bunch of people who had already rated him disagreeing with his post.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

In a nutshell, it is a simple way for people to just be pricks.

I don't think you can sum it all up to just being a dick. Its better that members can nudge someone instead of lashing out on the forum.
Its a good compass, when this first started I bounced into the red. It got my attention and I figured out what I posted that could have been taken as me being a prick so I changed it.
Didn't gather any more nudges and they eventually leveled out. But I got the message and no one had to confront me in an open forum or pm over it.

Its not perfect but I dont have any issues with it.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to add in my above post that the reason Cliff put the arrow in was because of how insulated a person with alot of positives became from being banned making it so they could post really rude comments without any real fear of being banned. If the arrow gets nugged all the way to the left, no matter how many positives you have you will end up banned. It's to keep a person who has alot of positives civil in their posting as Jake pointed out. I mean look at how many positives Jake has and imagine how many negatives it would have taken to get him banned before the trend arrow. Heck it would even have been dificult for myself to get banned prior to the trend arrow. Not that I ever saw Jake post anything offensive like that, but the point is having a bright green bar doesn't give a person a pass to be a jerk anymore. Either way, I haven't seen anyone actually get banned from the trend arrow but I have seen a couple of people come close.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 12-15-2013).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-15-2013 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In a nutshell, it is a simple way for people to just be pricks.

The arrow is unrelated to that, and the ratings system is built that way already. The arrow trend indicator doesn't need to exist for people to give you ratings based on simple agreement/disagreement metrics, instead of whether or not you're actually being helpful on the forum. The Totally O/T section only exacerbates the issue, given all the political/religious posting in there.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

The arrow is unrelated to that, and the ratings system is built that way already. The arrow trend indicator doesn't need to exist for people to give you ratings based on simple agreement/disagreement metrics, instead of whether or not you're actually being helpful on the forum. The Totally O/T section only exacerbates the issue, given all the political/religious posting in there.

Well apparently about a month ago, my ghost was on here not being very helpful because I ended up getting moved way into the red and yet I hadn't posted on the forum in a very long time.

I also find it interesting how you always manage to find my posts and single me out in a thread. You do that quite well.
SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone and that makes more sense except after this thread I apparently got someone to switch me I am deeper in red now.. So this can make someone a post whore to try and pretend like they are helpful or caring in order to get a boost.

I do like that it can help if a 4,000 post count member gets out of hand they can be booted. In the past we had a handful of them who felt you cant ban them so they would be pretty mean to people. Again thanks for the help. Rick B
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If someone with alot of positive feedback gets out of hand and starts trending negatively, all they do is stop posting and go into hiding. Once the little arrow goes back in the center, they come back and continue. I've seen it happen quite a few times.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the explanation guys.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the trend arrow is like the first derivative of the ratings bar. Gives you an idea which way the bar is moving. Imagine if we had a second derivative? How fast the arrow is moving could get you banned?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-15-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well apparently about a month ago, my ghost was on here not being very helpful because I ended up getting moved way into the red and yet I hadn't posted on the forum in a very long time.

I also find it interesting how you always manage to find my posts and single me out in a thread. You do that quite well.

Yes. Replying to a post on a public forum is "singling you out." No, I don't do that. Sorry to upset your ideas of grandeur. I have occasionally felt the need to reply to a post you made. I don't do it always.

FWIW, I haven't even rated you. It still says "neutral" when I clicked on the "rate this member" link for you. So whatever ghost you're looking to blame, you're going to have to look elsewhere to find it.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-15-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by jscott1:

So the trend arrow is like the first derivative of the ratings bar. Gives you an idea which way the bar is moving. Imagine if we had a second derivative? How fast the arrow is moving could get you banned?

That happens already. Go read the post when Cliff announced the arrow. It depends on how much positive ratings you already have though. If you have lots of positive ratings, and suddenly get a lot of negative ratings very fast, you will get banned (where as previously that wouldn't happen, and with enough green it wouldn't even be noticeable). I think it is only a temporary ban though. But if you don't have lots of green to save you in that situation, I think you still get the standard ban that happens when the negative ratio of votes is too high.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff's explanation: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/091232.html#p0
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That happens already. Go read the post when Cliff announced the arrow. It depends on how much positive ratings you already have though. If you have lots of positive ratings, and suddenly get a lot of negative ratings very fast, you will get banned (where as previously that wouldn't happen, and with enough green it wouldn't even be noticeable). I think it is only a temporary ban though. But if you don't have lots of green to save you in that situation, I think you still get the standard ban that happens when the negative ratio of votes is too high.

Read the post but it doesn't work the way I was describing. If you get 20 negs in one day yes your arrow will go to -20, but the arrow has no idea if they all came within 23 hours and 59 minutes or within a microsecond. So it's not granular enough to look at the speed of ratings less than a 1 day increment. And then each day after the arrow was nudged your negatives start to evaporate without anyone taking any actions. After 30 days it essentially has resent. I would have done it differently but hey it's not my forum.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-16-2013 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Read the post but it doesn't work the way I was describing. If you get 20 negs in one day yes your arrow will go to -20, but the arrow has no idea if they all came within 23 hours and 59 minutes or within a microsecond. So it's not granular enough to look at the speed of ratings less than a 1 day increment. And then each day after the arrow was nudged your negatives start to evaporate without anyone taking any actions. After 30 days it essentially has resent. I would have done it differently but hey it's not my forum.

With this new trending system, it doesn't matter how much green you have; receive a bunch of negatives in a short period of time and your trending indicator will drop like crazy. And you guessed it, if the trending indicator reaches it's minimum, an autoban will follow. So no more hiding behind your green bar.

Cliff pretty clearly says it will autoban, right there. Not sure how that is different from what you're suggesting, or how you would have done it. Is that not what you were saying should happen?

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-16-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I don't think you can sum it all up to just being a dick. Its better that members can nudge someone instead of lashing out on the forum.
Its a good compass, when this first started I bounced into the red. It got my attention and I figured out what I posted that could have been taken as me being a prick so I changed it.
Didn't gather any more nudges and they eventually leveled out. But I got the message and no one had to confront me in an open forum or pm over it.

Its not perfect but I dont have any issues with it.

This is my opinion. I feel it is a sort of gauge as to just how much one is being a prick. I have witnessed it's greatness, and basked in it's apparent glory. I am generally happy with it.

This happened to me for a while. I ignored it.

Edit: I had ya as a negative Dobey. You are now neutral. I do not deal with you often, and you do not require a rating either way by me. Merry Christmas.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 12-16-2013).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2013 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff pretty clearly says it will autoban, right there. Not sure how that is different from what you're suggesting, or how you would have done it. Is that not what you were saying should happen?

Maybe my point was too subtle. What I meant is that the ratings system works in increments of one day. If ten people all at once decide they don't like me and I get 10 nudges to the left it's no different than one person every hour giving me a nudge to the left for the next ten hours. To the engineer in me those are very different scenarios, but they are treated the same by the system. Maybe Cliffs system is better I don't know. Maybe there is no perfect automated system. Maybe there is no perfect moderated system. Maybe seeking perfection is a waste of time? I'm just rambling now.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-16-2013 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe there is no perfect automated system. Maybe there is no perfect moderated system. Maybe seeking perfection is a waste of time? I'm just rambling now.

The problem is probably more on the human input side, than the system itself. Perfection is impossible, and a moving target. Also as an engineer, every time you fix one corner case or problem, another one tends to become apparent. There's no making everyone happy.

As long as humans are making the choice to rate someone on this forum, it's not going to be anywhere near perfect. Humans are too emotional and rate for simple disagreement (it's much easier to pick up negative ratings than positive ratings, because people are less likely to give positive feedback, than negative; it happens in product reviews too, but it's easier to get balanced out Amazon, when millions of people are there to do things, rather than maybe a hundred active as is the case on here), and can change their minds at a moments notice.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2013 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

it's much easier to pick up negative ratings than positive ratings,

I've found it's easy to get neither. I've been on here for 5 years with 2300 posts and still don't HAVE a bar. Guess i'm just too boring.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 12-16-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

I've found it's easy to get neither. I've been on here for 5 years with 2300 posts and still don't HAVE a bar. Guess i'm just too boring.

If you spend more time in the OT area, that will change... especially if you comment on some political topics
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or your trending needle can move one way or the other without your number of ratings changing by someone simply changing their rating on you.

I pretty much glance at mine, but dont put much into it. I will always say exactly what I think on anything. With thousands on here, you cant be friends with everyone no matter how hard you try. The ONLY people I really cant stand are ones who say what they say is the only fact and all others are incorrect or liars.
SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Or your trending needle can move one way or the other without your number of ratings changing by someone simply changing their rating on you.

I pretty much glance at mine, but dont put much into it. I will always say exactly what I think on anything. With thousands on here, you cant be friends with everyone no matter how hard you try. The ONLY people I really cant stand are ones who say what they say is the only fact and all others are incorrect or liars.

Oh Lord isn't that true. But now the ratings should remove some of those who then turn to personal attacks when you show them they are wrong and they cannot handle it. My reds came from speaking my mind but most of them folks are gone now Rick B

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

I've been here since 2001, can't be as boring as me I guess, no bar yet either.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

If you spend more time in the OT area, that will change... especially if you comment on some political topics

second this

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock