non recalled by jon m
Started on: 12-07-2013 04:24 PM
Replies: 7 (614 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 12-08-2013 10:56 PM
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am just wondering - I believe that my 87gt has not had any of the gm recalls done to the car.
I have had the car over 11 years now although I have done only 8k miles since then - my question firstly is - I am in any danger ?
will I gain anything by doing any recalled jobs now or just to leave as is?

any opinion is always welcomed

jon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 SE didn't have any recalls done when I got it in '06. Since then, I did the air intake and breather tube change myself. I still don't have the drip shield on the firewall-side manifold, and I have the deck weatherstrip that was removed in a recall.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are many people who believe that the recalls did more harm than good, and actually go to some expense to undo some of the recall work.

Edit - If there is a hose that connects from the front (window side) valve cover to the firewall, the recall has not been completed.

I would be tempted to replace the intake duct and breather tube as TopNotch has done, and forgo the rest.

What you will need is a rubber duct that goes from the throttle body to the air filter canister, with a molded in fitting to accept a ~12mm tube, just next to the throttle body. You will also need that 12mm(?) tube to reach from the duct to the front (window side) valve cover.

Unplug the hose connection from the front valve cover and cut the rubber hose at the firewall. Discard the hose/fitting.
Either plug the remaining hose at the firewall, or disconnect the other end of that hose from the air filter canister, and plug the fitting in the canister.

Install the new rubber duct between the throttle body and the the air filter canister.
Connect the metal tube between the duct and the front valve cover.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-07-2013).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the front valve cover has the hose going straight to the underside of the air filter housing and the weather strip is still in place on the decklid - this is what makes me think that none of the recalls has been done

jon
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Jon,

Leave the weather striping on the deck lid. The recall was because people let leaves and flammables build up on the deck lid next to the glass and opened the lid. If the manifold is hot and the lid is opened, without removing the trash, the leaves could catch fire. If you remove the weather-stripping you will really notice a lot more engine noise and rain will not be your friend. I think most of us keep our cars clean and wouldn't open the deck lid if there was debris that would fall on our clean engines. I would make the other changes though.

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have exhaust wrap on the manifolds which does keep the heat down in the engine bay a little bit the car is always free from leaves etc so I think I am ok there.

my question is the modification to the front valve cover to the underside of the air canister - will this improve anything and what was the recall done for in the first place ??

jon
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jon, the replacement air intake hose with the metal line attaching at the front of the throttle body and inserted into the valve cover was to help reduce engine fires. With the original setup, the line out of the valve cover was attached to the metal tube on the front bulkhead. As engine mounts and struts became worn, the engine would move enough that it would pull the hose out of the front valve cover. Being out of site, it was pretty much undetectable. Oil vapors coming out of the valve cover would condense and saturate or run down onto engine components and catch fire. The replacement metal hose inserted into the valve cover and the replacement intake hose and became integral with the engine.

There is no gain in performance with this recall, but there may be a gain in how long the car is around to be enjoyed. There are also heat shields on the engine and firewall that were a part of the recalls.

I find that the decklid strip actually helps to keep debris from falling onto the front intake. I can see any that have accumulated before I open the lid and remove them. It also keeps water away. Without the strip, I don't know when leaves fall into the engine bay.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock