any ideas for an electric gear driven hood closer by woodyhere
Started on: 12-04-2013 12:36 PM
Replies: 23 (509 views)
Last post by: woodyhere on 12-09-2013 06:08 PM
woodyhere

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been dropping the front hood on my 87 Fiero for 26 years to close it. The seal is hard so a new one is in order but I would like to stop dropping the hood to get it to latch. I remember seeing a GM car that had a closer that was gear driven. It pulled the hood shut and lifted it a few inches to open it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Woody

------------------
woodys 427

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Won't the new seal last another 26 years??
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at trunks on cars like caddies and other GM models. They grab and lock the trunk.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The '87-'90-ish Firebirds, Trans Ams, and Camaro's had this as an optional feature for the rear glass. I've got one in a box in my shop that I plan to use on my project car too, though it came from a Caddy. If you end up finding one, I have the wiring schematic for the F bodies.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

The '87-'90-ish Firebirds, Trans Ams, and Camaro's had this as an optional feature for the rear glass. I've got one in a box in my shop that I plan to use on my project car too, though it came from a Caddy. If you end up finding one, I have the wiring schematic for the F bodies.

Is your schematic for the caddy trunk pull down? I want to incorporate them for my Murci doors so that I can have a soft close.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My schematics are for the Camaro, but the Caddy system is very similar though not identical. I can either post them or send you a PM if you want.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help. We got a bunch of snow today. I had to reshuffle the cars in the shop. I had to back the fiero out in the snow for a few minutes. First time the Fiero has been in snow. Probably be spring before I can look for a closer at the local U pull it. That closer is just what I was looking for - just couldn't remember where I saw one. AH..........another senior moment.

I am planning to put some curve back in the hood. I have shut it hard so many times that the hood is flatter than the fenders. I really like the Z 28 cowl induction hood blister and plan to mold one in this winter. I think it would be a nice touch to soft close the hood and trunk.

Thanks again!

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of cars have such a feature, especially these days. Mercedes has had it on the S-class and BMW on the 7er back into the '90s. My '67 Fleetwood has it too, actually. I think most are vacuum/pneumatic driven systems. Newer high-end cars actually have a fully hydraulic system that fully opens and closes the the trunk with a ram. Friend's '10 E-class has it, I'm sure the S-class and BMW's similar offerings do as well. On the Fiero, that might be really neat - just push a button and the hood opens (and stays open) by itself. Google "soft close trunk" or "trunk assist" and maybe you'll get some ideas.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thesameguy

1536 posts
Member since Dec 2012
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...em3a884af971&vxp=mtr[/QU OTE]

That is roughly how the system in my Fleetwood works, except instead of an electric motor it's a vacuum solenoid. Hey, it was 1967... Either way, it was a conventional latch that moved down to seal the trunk.
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

Lots of cars have such a feature, especially these days. Mercedes has had it on the S-class and BMW on the 7er back into the '90s. My '67 Fleetwood has it too, actually. I think most are vacuum/pneumatic driven systems. Newer high-end cars actually have a fully hydraulic system that fully opens and closes the the trunk with a ram. Friend's '10 E-class has it, I'm sure the S-class and BMW's similar offerings do as well. On the Fiero, that might be really neat - just push a button and the hood opens (and stays open) by itself. Google "soft close trunk" or "trunk assist" and maybe you'll get some ideas.

Hell even the new dodge caravans have them that will open and close the trunk with a button on your key fob, from full locked to full open and back. the older caddies had them that would let you pull the trunk down and just let the mechanism do the rest of the latching.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or you could go with completely electric driven openers/closers. I have 2 linear actuators that even have switches already wired. There like shock absorbers. I had them originally on my GT40 to open and close the front and back clamshells. No locks needed. Theyre for sale cheap + shipping.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an auto pull down installed on my 86 decklid, I installed it years ago. I removed and modified it from an oldsmobile. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. -Jason

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 12-07-2013).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roger that sounds pretty interesting. Could you post a pic with a ruler next to it. I was kind of thinking along those line but haven't jumped in yet.

Thanks, Woody

------------------
woodys 427

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

woodyhere

399 posts
Member since Aug 2011
Fierofreek I would really like to see how you mounted the puller. I am the most concerned with the front hood. Is there a better name for the front hood? Deck lid? Trunk lid?

Thanks, Woody

------------------
woodys 427

sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You shouldn't have to drop the front hood for it to latch, something else must be wrong. I just rest the hood down then push near the latch with my hand and it latches down easily.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Hell even the new dodge caravans have them that will open and close the trunk with a button on your key fob, from full locked to full open and back. the older caddies had them that would let you pull the trunk down and just let the mechanism do the rest of the latching.

Steve

waiting to find one of these in the J-yard. I have 2010 in the driveway and from day one, I wanted to do this to the trunklid of my Fiero
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:
waiting to find one of these in the J-yard. I have 2010 in the driveway and from day one, I wanted to do this to the trunklid of my Fiero

Does it have the foot operated button under the bumper or the key fob one? the one under the bumper kind of bothers me, do you have to have the key fob nearby for that one to work or can just anyone who walks buy use that button as well as what happens when you are driving down the road and something hits the button, does it open or does it have a safety to not allow it to open while in gear like our Fieros have?

I can see why you are waiting for a bone yard one, dam those parts are expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390620315305?lpid=82

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 12-07-2013).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your right about not having to drop the hood to get it to close. The old gasket foam was hard as a rock. I didn't notice over time that I had to drop the hood from a higher point to get it to latch. You made me remember that when it was new, I closed it with a push of my hand. I tried to close it with no gasket and KaZam............it closed just like new! Now I have to put a little more arch back in and it will be ready for my Z28 cowl induction scoop!

Thanks, Woody

------------------
woodys 427

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

That's what popped into my mind when I read the thread title also. My parents 89 Camaro convertible had the motorized latch on the rear deck lid (no rear glass on a convertible). I never saw the motor/lock structure part of it but I can't imagine it being all that large. I would think you could fit something like it up front, alhtough I'd imagine it would take a little fab work and cutting.
PFF
System Bot
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steve I have such a pile of projects for my car already. Winter started early so perhaps I can get a lot of them done. I worked on the drivers power window today. The gas tank gets dropped tomorrow. My side scoops arrived this last week and my cowl induction scoop , high flow fuel pump, regulator and pressure gauge should be here tomorrow. I have a headliner to do, larger gas tank to make, hood and side scoops, paint and FAST EZ 2.0 FI to install. It's an early Christmas for me.

Thanks, Woody

------------------
woodys 427

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There in my shed covered with snow and COLD right now. Ill get a pic soon as I can. I hibernate in Ohio if im here.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sure wouldn't expect you to go out in those conditions just to do me a favor. LOL I forget other places get cold too. Spring will do just fine. I like the idea of actuators. I'll do a little web searching to get some ideas for using them. I have way to many things to get done this winter as is. I started on my bigger gas tank project today. Like most things it's going to be a little more complicated than I had hoped for but it's doable. My Z28 cowl induction scoop arrived today. It's going to need a few more layers of fiber glass before it gets put on. You get what you pay for seems to once again reared it's ugly head. The finish is good and it is straight!
Thanks again,

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay