New Member/Future Fiero owner by MalleableList
Started on: 12-04-2013 08:23 AM
Replies: 12 (295 views)
Last post by: FierOmar on 12-08-2013 11:18 AM
MalleableList

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MalleableListSend a Private Message to MalleableListEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all! I have been lurking around your site for a couple of days now and have decided to join the ranks among you
I am currently in the process of buying either a 1986 fiero 2m6 or a 1987 fiero gt
I'm not so sure on which one to get, my budget will be all of a glorious $3000 amount
Here is the link for the first one
http://hickory.craigslist.org/cto/4180664564.html
and the link for the second can be found here
http://jacksonville.craigsl.../cto/4121355198.html
As soon as my current deployment ends, I'll be heading up to visit relatives around both areas.
If anyone on this site is in those areas that could lend me an experienced eye for when I go view these cars I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome, and thanks for your service.

That second link looks rough. Sitting on dirt for long periods of time is horrible and leads to lots of undercarriage rot . Search Google images for fiero rust and fiero trunk rust to see what I am talking about.

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE / 3800 s/c
Fieros For Sale

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! And good luck with your decision.

OPIE's Fiero GTX Build

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 12-04-2013).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome, and as said above, be very weary of that GT. If there is no frame rot, it could be a good fixer upper, also be mindful of its problems,, you could end up sinking more into it than you would pay for the 1st one, again welcome to the forum

------------------

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
(84 IMSA) garage queen
(13 Veloster) daily grinder
(86 basterdized mera) fake ferrari
(84 fastback IMSA) confused lil one
The forums Youngest CDL driver

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the madness. I think I'd avoid the GT unless you want a 'project'.
I am not far away from the notchie, I could go take a look at it if you like. Let me know.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
note the Gt is almost sunk into the ground--I would pass---the white one looks good

------------------
Pat Jones

MalleableList

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MalleableListSend a Private Message to MalleableListEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I know the GT looks super sketchy, but I feel like he didn't just leave it there to rot. I'm originally from Jacksonville, and I have seen what happens if you let a car sit unkempt out in the disgusting Florida sun and heat for too long (The car would have rust spots and sun spots all over the body). Since I was going to be in that area first when I get back, I was going to go and check it out, and hopefully be able to bring someone with me to inspect it.

And I'd love it if you could go take a peak at the notchie, as you call it, Dave. I have tried to contact him through email (since calling someone is virtually non existant on my ship) but have gotten no response.

Also, I do like the fact that the suspension seems to already have been replaced on the notchie as well. I've heard about suspension hassles for the 84-87 models.

[This message has been edited by MalleableList (edited 12-05-2013).]

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your heart is set on the GT, do not pay that asking price for it! I paid that much for my running/driving 87 GT with a bunch of new parts and 7 out of 10 paint, only needed an alignment. People tend to ask way too much for these cars. Rust on a Fiero is harder to notice than on most other cars. The Fiero's body panels are not metal so will not show rust obviously. If you go look at it, pull up the carpet in the trunk and inspect the corners of the trunk. If there is rust here, be verrrrry weary.

Also, if possible, remove the rear wheel liner to get a good look at the frame rail. If there is bad rust here, walk away.

I would go with the 86, pretty much the same thing as an 85 GT and a danged nice looking car.
MalleableList

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MalleableListSend a Private Message to MalleableListEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be honest, the 86 fiero was the first fiero I looked at, or even considered buying. I was just perousing craigslist autos looking for a decent 89 Pontiac Trans Am and I came across the fiero ad. And that was when I caught the disease lol. I've been studying pretty much all I can about these cars since then. But yeah, the first one would be nice to have, just figured it'd be cool to try and save a fiero from a junkyard if possible lol
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MalleableList:

I have seen what happens if you let a car sit unkempt out in the disgusting Florida sun and heat for too long (The car would have rust spots and sun spots all over the body).

I know you are new to Fieros, so please do not take offense if you knew this already: There would be no "rust spots" all over the body, as 100% of the body panels are different types of plastic. I have seen Fieros that look like they came out of the show room, that are severely rusted underneath.

If you are interested in the car still, get the owner to take some pictures behind the rear tires, as well as inside the trunk, with the carpeting lifted. These are the 2 key spots that you can tell the general rust condition of the car.

As mentioned, I would not personally pay that asking price. A car that has been sitting for 15 years is going to have a lot of issues, and certainly take money to get into shape.

Your $3,000 budget should get you a nice Fastback GT that you can hop in and drive away. If you do not find one today, wait a week, and search again. The week waited will be far less time then trying to get that GT that has been sitting on the ground for 15 years

Here is one for $1800 that he says make an offer on

Here is one for $1400 that is drivable, and needs work.

Good Luck, and let us know what you get!

MalleableList

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalleableListSend a Private Message to MalleableListEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I appreciate the warning lol. That makes more sense. Also, the thing is with me not purchasing a california one (although I'm glad the forum users are so happy to help me find one! ) is the fact that I would like to still have a Florida registered car. Not a fan of the car restrictions that come with a California registry.
I'll keep you guys updated on what happens, whatever I do.
PFF
System Bot
MalleableList

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MalleableListSend a Private Message to MalleableListEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, thanks to the help of a forum user, I've decided to go with the 86 notchie. I appreciate all the heads up you guys gave me in the short topic.
Thanks ^_^
FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MalleableList:

Alright, thanks to the help of a forum user, I've decided to go with the 86 notchie. I appreciate all the heads up you guys gave me in the short topic.
Thanks ^_^

Sent you a PM.

------------------
FierOmar

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay