New to forum and Fieros by Oopssorry
Started on: 12-04-2013 03:02 AM
Replies: 13 (374 views)
Last post by: Oopssorry on 12-06-2013 02:18 AM
Oopssorry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OopssorrySend a Private Message to OopssorryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I just recently picked up a '86 Iron Duke, 5 speed , notchback. I'm pretty new to Fieros, my dad has always had one or two, but they have never ran. I bought mine about a month ago and have loved driving it. That is when it's in driving condition. The thing has an appetite for my alt-water pump-crank belt. Each one has lasted about a week before snapping, usually while I'm driving back from work and such. When I bought the car it had shot engine mounts, if you rocked the car back and fourth you could actually watch the engine move. I had spent all my cash on the car, but a check was soon to come, so I drove the car as is, and shortly there after, I snapped a belt. Pay day came and I fixed the engine mounts and some other issues I should have noticed the day I bought it. The PO had incorrectly installed the Alt bracket, which lead to the bolts holding it to the block backing out. This, coupled with the bad engine mounts, caused the bracket to bend and twist. GM made that bracket pretty solid! It took me and my brother in law hours to reshape that (all we had was a vice and a "Thor Hammer"). While under the car we found that the mounts were so bad that they had allowed the crank to partially rest on a rubber bumpstop (?) that was located on the frame. After all of this was fixed and a new belt was thrown on, I had thought the issue fixed. But I was wrong, and two belts later I need help. There's a suspicious piece of metal right above the crank pulley, and I'm thinking it might be cutting into my belt (it does not cut my AC belt). I have a haynes manual, but can find nothing identifying this piece. I know pics would be worth a thousand words, but I am currently rocking a none camera phone, and I have no other camera. I need to get this car on the road, as my beater is about beat!

The rest of the car is in decent condition. Not a lot of rust, some paint issues, but it's better than I expected. One head light is stuck up, and the gearbox is very notchie, but all and all, I can understand why my dad has always one. When they run they are a ton of fun. I think it's the best driving position I've ever sat in, and she's quite fun in the wet. The plans for the car are quite simple. My dad has a spare 2.8, with harness and all accessories (he also has a 5 speed for the V6 he said I can snag). I want to try to get 160-175rwhp out of the thing. I have no real talent in fab work, so I'm stuck with bolt ons, and bolt ins. Think it's possible while staying NA? Reliable? I've lurked a bit and found at least one 2.9 that was putting out 160, so it not too far out of the realm of possibility....

Lastly, thank you all the both the info you have already posted, and for the help I hope you provide!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! You will find that advice and help flow quickly and freely.

Now you will get some person coming in here nagging you for photo's of the car, and how posts like this are not as good without photos and the like. Just ignore them. Now, go get some pictures and show what it looks like

To post photos in the forum, look at the bottom of each page for the link to the Pennocks Image Poster.

rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! You can find anything and everything you need to know with this group of folks. Don't be afraid to ask questions, 99% of the folks on here are friendly and looking to help anyone out, no matter how simple or difficult the issue is.

Also, post pics, or we'll be forced to call you out as a liar!

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! Always glad to have another Fiero Owner! Please post pictures of your ride.

OPIE's Fiero GTX Build
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome

------------------

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
(84 IMSA) garage queen
(13 Veloster) daily grinder
(86 basterdized mera) fake ferrari
(84 fastback IMSA) confused lil one
The forums Youngest CDL driver

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome aboard!

Id suspect pulleys mis-aligned or maybe a sharp metal burrr on a pulley itself causing the belt issue.
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum and the madness.....

Enjoy
MalleableList

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MalleableListSend a Private Message to MalleableListEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey! I just joined too ! Welcome new friend!
Oopssorry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OopssorrySend a Private Message to OopssorryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm having issues uploading the only pic I have taken, any tips uploading from photobucket? If it is a mis aligned pulley would I need a new pulley or can it be adjusted? As I said in my first post the crank had been resting on some sort of bumpstop. I actually saw a thread earlier saying it is some sort of "Vibration damper". The car was driven in the condition both by myself and the PO....
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oopssorry:

I'm having issues uploading the only pic I have taken, any tips uploading from photobucket? If it is a mis aligned pulley would I need a new pulley or can it be adjusted? As I said in my first post the crank had been resting on some sort of bumpstop. I actually saw a thread earlier saying it is some sort of "Vibration damper". The car was driven in the condition both by myself and the PO....

None at all, sorry I have never figured it out myself, probably my fault, I use this,

http://imageshack.us/

Welcome aboard.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since you mentioned the alt bracket had been messed with I was thinking taking a look to see if the belt lines up correct so it hits all the pulleys straight on and isnt being diverted at an angle. As far as adjustment it would be in teh mounting of the alt itself, for example. Unless someone replace the pulley on the alt with a wrong size or shape pulley.

To upload from photobucket I look at teh library in photobucket, roll the mouse over an image and then click on the little gear icon, choose get links, choose the link with [IMG], its one click to copy, then paste that into your post here.

You can hit edit on my post here to see what I inserted to put this image in:

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-05-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm having issues uploading the only pic I have taken, any tips uploading from photobucket?

Yeah, I've got a tip... don't use it!

This is what you want to learn to use to be one of the cool people here... PIP
Oopssorry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OopssorrySend a Private Message to OopssorryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There she is! there is some paint damage on the pillar there, but that is the least of my worries! What strikes me as interesting is it seems like the PO was going to attempt to make a GT clone. The passenger sail is from a GT as is my steering wheel. I admit that I have the stock wheel that came on the car, but one would think you would start with wheels or engine before the steering wheel and sails.

[This message has been edited by Oopssorry (edited 12-06-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock