Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Hate the business, not the helper. (Replicas)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hate the business, not the helper. (Replicas) by 87FieroSport
Started on: 12-01-2013 02:44 PM
Replies: 28 (966 views)
Last post by: KVCFIERO on 12-06-2013 08:26 PM
87FieroSport

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I get to work with a man who does Lamborghini replicas; Diablos, LP640's, Murci's, ect.

Sadly, I see myself stripping 4-5 Fiero's a year down to the chassis. But hey I do get to keep all of the interior and body parts rather than them going to the scrap yard. (Which is what he has done for a few years..)

But I also get to learn how to frame stretch, and produce the Fiberglass Lamborghini bodies.
As well as work with "Spectra" paint, which is a mirroring finish.

This is only a weekend thing, but he is in the process of buying another shop (His last one was flooded out) and would like a second hand instead of taking a few months to do a kit (He works a full time job aswell, so this is a self-sustaining hobby).

This is one of his replicas out in Boston (Customer owned.)
http://boston.craigslist.or.../cto/4219733492.html

But the good news? Hey, I'll be saving all those body panels and interior pieces.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not a replica fan overall, but it looks like he does some decent work. Not sure whats with the loose wiring in the engine bay, but otherwise it all looks nicely done.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He actually doesn't do motor swaps. (This is where I partially come in.)
He keeps the original 2.8 (If it was a 2.5, he puts a 2.8 in.)

All he does is the body, and interior. The motor/wheels/tires/suspension is up the the customer.

He wants to start expanding in motors, an idea was a V12 in his '88 Replica (Has to be all custom)
But for customers, he's thinking of seeing what's possible with only the two of us (And the Fiero vendors for parts.)

It'll expand what he does and what his clients want for cars. We won't push the subject of a swap on someone; unless they ask. As it sits it takes him roughly a couple of a months to do a kit (This is only really done is his free time, this is again.. where I partially come in to take care of the lesser and make it easier.)

So with the two of us, it won't take nearly as long but we can accomplish more.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not a big replica fan either, but that looks really nice from the pictures IMO. Good interior and bodywork quality. I'm not a body work/upholstery guy, so that's a plus for me, powertrain swaps are my thing.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

powertrain swaps are my thing.

Exactly, I wouldn't mind learning how to produce the bodies.
We're actually working out something for an LP640 kit for myself, someday I do want one, just not with using a good Fiero.

I think the main swaps are going to be what we can buy from the Vendors here. Anything else we'll have to work out ourselves, it all depends on what we can get from others and what we can make ourselves.

4.9's, 3800SC's and T's, LS power would be nice. You never know, all a matter of time limits.
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright.. I'm sorry but I have to ask. 630 hp 350sbc?

------------------

87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Alright.. I'm sorry but I have to ask. 630 hp 350sbc?

Like I said, He only did the body/interior. I don't know anything about the motor, whatever people claim;
All power to them, they'll learn.

He's installing a lift in his garage soon, which would be good for us to do swaps with. Whoever did the SBC swap, didn't really do the best job (It looks like this guy had more into the Paint/upholstery than the actual motor itself. Seeing as it's $25K)
XThirtySeven

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only $24K for that thing!!!! I want it. Wish I could dump the loan for my CC and get a loan for that beauty.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Free shipping haha.
I agree.. For $24k it is a beauty, worth it in the paint and interior.

Honestly, I'd HATE to tell you what donor Fieros fall subject to this crime.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I he were interested, I bet he could sell a lot of those interiors to folks here. I would love to see some better pictures of the dash, center console, gauges and such. Looks really nice from what I can see.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll give him a call today and ask more on the interior.
He does a stretch before the front cradle bolts so I don't know how much the interior is affected.

I remember him sharing that the steering column shaft gets taken out and cut down, moving the wheel inwards a bit for the dash.
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dam Steve, I didn't know there was a guy that local that does this.... where at?
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Narragansett, I'll have to show you his work.
Inbox me your cell number again since I have your cable STILL. Lol

I live a few miles out from the Speedway now, pass it every day.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87FieroSport:

Narragansett, I'll have to show you his work.
Inbox me your cell number again since I have your cable STILL. Lol

I live a few miles out from the Speedway now, pass it every day.

Actually you can keep that one. I found my original one sitting in the passenger side pocket of my race car. Thought I lost it years ago which is why I ordered that one from Phonedawgz...

I work in North Kingston now and will be moving south of Providence within 3 months. I'd love to see this guy's work.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't you JUST get that place? Or are you just moving jobs?

I'm currently looking for work, doing the Replicas is a side-thing for both of us.
It's really something to see, The start of the next build of Feb/March, so I'll have plenty of..

'88 specific interior.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Didn't you JUST get that place? Or are you just moving jobs?

I'm currently looking for work, doing the Replicas is a side-thing for both of us.
It's really something to see, The start of the next build of Feb/March, so I'll have plenty of..

'88 specific interior.

I've been in Pawtucket RENTING since 9/2012 ... Now trying to move to Warwick or thereabouts...
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see I see, my girlfriend and I just got a little house in Swansea.
It's actually quite nice (Fit 2 Fiero's in the driveway and almost a full one downstairs!

Location is decent, not much for work here so I need to go into RI for that.

That isn't all a bad place where you're at (I personally would have made use of that garage insanely) but I don't have one of those here.

The garage in 'Nara is pretty cool, hopefully that shop is up and going soon.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Hate the business, not the helper. (Replicas)"

I gotta tell you that, if I was going to give you the job you've described, the title of your thread would have me thinking that I might not be getting the right guy.

You talk about all the stuff you can learn from him but yet you not only dis him in the thread title but you also give the impression that you have no respect for his business.

I gather that you might also be looking for full time employment. I hope that you're not going to be doing the same thing to people or businesses that might consider you for a full time job.

I don't know the guy who you are going to be going to work for but he does have skills.

I only hope that, after you learn everything he can teach you, you're not dising him as you move on from his shop to your next job.

It would be a shame to dis respect someone who taught you a lot of stuff that you didn't know.

Good luck.

Thanks

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 12-03-2013).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too am confused with the meaning of your thread's title especially when you state that you hope to have a replica some day:

We're actually working out something for an LP640 kit for myself, someday I do want one...

There is no reason to hate the business. There are a lot of kit car and replica builders and owners on this forum, as well as vendors that sell many stand-alone parts such as front and rear fascias, tail lights, door scoops, dashes, headlights etc that borrow heavily on Ferrari and Lambourghini influences. Regardless what we do to our cars as individuals, we are all making the Fiero platform last into the future. Most of us try not to be judgemental about personal styling tastes so if you enjoy what you do, then be proud of it.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whoa.
Ouch, for one I think you took that a little too personally, Archie.
I wasn't saying anything at all about his work, or the business of Kit cars.

Perhaps one might mistake what I meant, and that's fine. But the only thing I don't
Like about it, is just the use of 88's.

I'm actually excited to learn. The only downside to this business is simply:

Only 88 Fieros are being used.

Perhaps I didn't mention that in my original post.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whoa.
Ouch, for one I think you took that a little too personally, Archie.
I wasn't saying anything at all about his work, or the business of Kit cars.

Perhaps one might mistake what I meant, and that's fine. But the only thing I don't
Like about it, is just the use of 88's.

I'm actually excited to learn. The only downside to this business is simply:

Only 88 Fieros are being used.

Perhaps I didn't mention that in my original post.

First off, I'm not taking it personally. It's no matter to me if you keep your job or not.

Just trying to offer some suggestions on what might help you keep your job.

'88 cars or non '88 cars has nothing to do with it.

The title is what it is "Hate the business, not the helper. (Replicas)" means just what it says. If you can't understand what I was trying to tell you then maybe you should print this thread out & show it to your new boss & he can explain it to you.

Good Luck, I hope you can keep the job long enough to learn some stuff that can build your skills for future opportunities.

If you don't like what I have to say about this thread, then hate the message, not the messenger.

Archie
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't see the car. The craigslist ad is flagged for removal. The issue I would have with using 88's is that if you're going to use wide track suspension, you don't need an 88. I drove mine from New Jersey to Idaho with 4" spacers in the back and 2" spacers in the front with no problem, but I have Held suspension all the way round now.
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

If you don't like what I have to say about this thread, then hate the message, not the messenger.

Archie

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

First off, I'm not taking it personally. It's no matter to me if you keep your job or not.

Just trying to offer some suggestions on what might help you keep your job.

'88 cars or non '88 cars has nothing to do with it.

The title is what it is "Hate the business, not the helper. (Replicas)" means just what it says. If you can't understand what I was trying to tell you then maybe you should print this thread out & show it to your new boss & he can explain it to you.

Good Luck, I hope you can keep the job long enough to learn some stuff that can build your skills for future opportunities.

Archie

I understood the title as hate the idea of removing all our Fieros from the ones left. they did only make so many, right. So there goes all those superstructure we are so proud of and want and need.

Now days no one wants to stay with any company like the old days, hell its been that way for decades. The kids today just don't have the same dedication to a company or job, back a few decades ago maybe a dozen you did what your dad did, that just isn't so anymore. Hey I wanted to retire from GM when I first got hired there like my dad did but that was '73.

just what I think.'

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I understood the title as hate the idea of removing all our Fieros from the ones left. they did only make so many, right. So there goes all those superstructure we are so proud of and want and need.

Exactly. Someone who understands a bit clearly, I don't bounce from job to job like burger flippers these days. I'm actually shocked someone who everyone proclaims is the nicest person/most helpful really jumps out at someone for interpreting something in their own way, very people oriented.

But on the original subject, yes it is sad to see the 88's stripped and re-bodied.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You threw a rock at an entire segment of the Fiero community and you're shocked at the reaction by one of its leaders? Unless you're in denial, how can you be surprised that someone would interpret your thread's title as inciting hatred towards replicas? What part of telling people to "hate the [replica] business" isn't telling people to hate the replica business? Stating that you were only referring to converting '88's isn't an apology, so don't expect those of us who love and build replicas to be suddenly sympathetic. I for one am building a replica on an '88 chassis and find your title offensive. Your right to freedom of expression doesn't prevent me nor anyone else from telling you so.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I understood the title as hate the idea of removing all our Fieros from the ones left.

x2..... I thought it was pretty clear
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

x2..... I thought it was pretty clear

Hm. Couple people think it was pretty clear, so I guess I am expecting sympathy? Hah.
Oh the laughs, I don't hate replicas, I just was shocked that the only chassis this gentleman is using is just 88.

If I hated replicas, I wouldn't be willing drive two hours to help strip Fieros and atleast save every part (Since they end up in the junkyard per his request.
Instead of recycled into the Fiero community.) And learn quite a bit in the presence of this gentleman.

If I hated the business, I'd wait until I'm 25 and buy an actual Lamborghini. So don't get everything twisted and try to turn it around saying I'm apologizing.
Because I've been put on the spot, I shouldn't be sorry for my opinions either.

I am sorry if I offended you, but there's no need to take it personally, Archie.
KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Exactly. Someone who understands a bit clearly, I don't bounce from job to job like burger flippers these days. I'm actually shocked someone who everyone proclaims is the nicest person/most helpful really jumps out at someone for interpreting something in their own way, very people oriented.

But on the original subject, yes it is sad to see the 88's stripped and re-bodied.

I understood what you were saying. I think most intelligent people understood it also. Good luck with the new experience.
Kevin

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock