Started on: 11-21-2013 07:27 PM
Replies: 10 (753 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 02-12-2015 07:36 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine picked this car up, this past weekend.
I finally got to see it today, and took a few pics.

An overall view of the engine. (Those are Dellorto carbs, and a Cannon intake manifold.)

This is the back (distributor) side of the block.
You can see the "2.5" and the Pontiac arrowhead if you look carefully.

Another engine pic.

A few more of the car...

The car was purchased in Alpharetta GA from a (former) Ga Fiero Club member, who has owned the car for several years, but put less than 200 miles on it. Prior to that, we know very little of the car's history.

What we do know is that It is an 84, has ~20K on it, and appears to have been done "right". It needs some TLC, but is basically a very sound car. It appears from the casting marks and a few other clues that this is a genuine SD 4 engine. (It has a V8 distributor, with every other terminal on the cap skipped. Appears to be an MSD. It also has an MSD ignition box and an electronic rev limiter with a removeable "plug" that is labeled "6600". )
Has an earlier Getrag tranny. Has a fill plug in the rear side of the gear case.

Yeah... the wire nuts are a WTF... The fuseable links were extended all the way to a lug on the battery cable, and connected with wire nuts. Those will be going away.
How does it drive? He said it's not that fast. Probably needs to be gone thru, and have the carbs rebuilt and the plugs checked or replaced. We think the header may be cracked, too. He said it sounds like a Harley Davidson.
I haven't heard it run. It started blowing (ECM?) fuses with the new owner. I have another ECM that we're going to swap in and try.
(The more I think about it, the more I wonder what the ECM is even doing.)

I figure it was asleep for a long time. My friend woke it up, and it woke up mad.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-21-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That car was for sale somewhere not to long ago, its sharp but go over it very well..
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been for sale in Atlanta, on and off, for over a year.
I'm amazed that nobody has jumped on it before now.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it T-Tops? Convertible? I'm confused by that custom looking notchback.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It belonged to Sonic50, Scott Deen. Here they are at the Georgia Fiero Club meeting. They bought it in Florida.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-22-2013).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12809 posts
Member since Jan 2002
The wire nuts weren't there in June of 2010, so like many wire splices on the 86SE I got from him, it was an owner added option.

As I recall, the two T-top appearing panels are actually hard panels that have been upholstered. There's a removable center bar similar to a T-top bar. It can be left in place with the panels removed and driven like a Targa. Remove the center bar and fold the top down for a full convertible.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

A few more of the car...

I figure it was asleep for a long time. My friend woke it up, and it woke up mad.

Thats a sweet looking and unique car there.

Good to see it may be taken care of in its future.

"Woke up mad" I like that.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-22-2013).]

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Is it T-Tops? Convertible? I'm confused by that custom looking notchback.

It's a full convertible conversion kit, designed by a comapny called Automoda.

The roof panels are made from an aluminum frame and a fiberglas panel covered with fabric; the rear section is a fabric-covered collapsible frame that folds flat behind the headrests.

The roof panels come out like T-top panels and store inside the car/trunk.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, that car was in MI for a while. The one owner said it wasn't really a daily driver with that engine. It is unique, but I think it has become more of a show car than a driver. Sad. I have pictures back from '96 or... before the body mods. Just a nice convertible
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

It belonged to Sonic50, Scott Deen. ... They bought it in Florida.

Thanks Charlie. I knew that Scott or Mike (his dad) owned it. Mike was the seller. Just wondered where it had been before that.
Interesting about the wire nuts. I see that they are indeed missing in your pic.

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Yup, that car was in MI for a while. The one owner said it wasn't really a daily driver with that engine. It is unique, but I think it has become more of a show car than a driver. Sad. I have pictures back from '96 or... before the body mods. Just a nice convertible

I sure would like to see pics if you wouldn't mind posting them. Any other info you have will be appreciated.
I'm going to link the new owner to this thread. He's not a member here. He's usually too busy working to post on forums. Maybe he'll join.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-23-2013).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edited - Sorry. Wrong thread.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-12-2015).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay