Started on: 11-21-2013 04:33 PM
Replies: 9 (320 views)
Last post by: hookdonspeed on 11-22-2013 11:06 AM
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just wondering what to expect, a 'fresh' 88 2.8l vs the focus SVT (145ft lbs, 170HP 2750lbs in stock form).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Focus will win, hands down.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If he hooks up, he'll probably win. He's up 30HP and only down 15TQ and the weight is too close to matter. You'll probably have better traction, depending on tires of course. He auto or stick?

Post results!
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be close. SVT specs for an 02 below.

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 25.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 16.0 sec @ 88 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 125 mph
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will depend on the track I think. If it looks more like a go-kart track you will win. If it looks like Mid-America.....no such luck.
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

It will depend on the track I think. If it looks more like a go-kart track you will win. If it looks like Mid-America.....no such luck.

My thoughts exactly. The torque of the 2.8 will pull it much better off the line and out of the turns. The hp of the SVT will win long straights.

If the course keeps them under 75mph, Fiero.
If they can easily clear the 70s then the SVT.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own a 300 HP FWD HHR SS. Even at 3200 pounds I would clean house on a road track with the HHR SS. I would expect the same in the Focus.

Now on a tight autocross track the Fiero would have an advantage as the less power would be much easier to hook up on tight turns and slaloms.

The only thing that hurts the FWD is they can not put the power down easy. If you do it is because of the traction aids and they slow you down. I have spun the tires rolling in the SS at 50 MPH. The weight transfers from the front to the back and it unloads the tires making it hard to hook up. On a long wide open track there is no issue with unloading the front wheels.

Do not underestimate the torque of a direct injected 4 cylinder. My 2.0 Eco has 315 FT LBS at 1800 RPM and will hold it to 5300 RPM. These little turbo engines are torque monsters. My 2.8 used to feel good but anymore it feels like something is wrong with it after driving these new turbo engines.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 11-21-2013).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I own a 300 HP FWD HHR SS. Even at 3200 pounds I would clean house on a road track with the HHR SS. I would expect the same in the Focus.

Do not underestimate the torque of a direct injected 4 cylinder. My 2.0 Eco has 315 FT LBS at 1800 RPM and will hold it to 5300 RPM. These little turbo engines are torque monsters. My 2.8 used to feel good but anymore it feels like something is wrong with it after driving these new turbo engines.

Um... you know he's talking about a naturally aspirated Focus SVT from the early 2000s with the hi-strung Zetec motor, not a late model Ecoboost Focus ST right?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My advice, remove all extra easily removable weight if you havent yet.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we are still looking for a track to goto, not many around here that are not "drag" only...

and yes, its an early 2000's NA car, we want to do a few runs, then we will return to the track after I put the 3500 into the 88, and he "turbo's" his.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock