replacement door skins? by woodyhere
Started on: 11-16-2013 01:54 PM
Replies: 6 (270 views)
Last post by: 1MohrFiero on 11-17-2013 08:08 PM
woodyhere

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 87 GT. The doors look pretty wavy when you site down the side of the car. Does anyone make replacement fiberglass door skins?

Thanks, Woody

------------------
woodys 427

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your best bet is to get used skins from a junkyard or some of the people in the Mall section. If you want fiberglass, Paul (Tha Driver) on here makes them but the molding is removed and smoothed over.
http://angelonearth.net/customfiberglass/
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply. I should have asked this in a different way. My door panels are original and look good but aren't flat anymore. The car has never been hit so it's the plastic that isn't straight. Have any ideas how to make it dead straight and stay that way?

Thanks, Woody
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by woodyhere:

I have a 87 GT. The doors look pretty wavy when you site down the side of the car. Does anyone make replacement fiberglass door skins?

Thanks, Woody

They are not fiberglass, just so you know, they are plastic, endoroflex. a common mistake made by most people who don't know what they are talking about when it comes to our little cars. the hood, rear deck lid, roof and engine lid are all fiberglass but all the side panels are endoroflex flexible plastic like the bumpers.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 11-17-2013).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm unsure that you can heat the skins and get them back into shape. I have had an aero nose done and it went back into shape. This was a pricey proposition. As others have suggested, you should be able to find another skin used from a yard www.thefierofactory.com or another Fiero parts car.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steve I know they are plastic. I see cars on the forum that look really straight. I thought there might be a source for fiberglass door replacements that others have used. That said, how do you folks make your plastic look so straight? I did a little heat and flattening on the front bumper cover around the lic. plate holder. It looks pretty good but not new. I might try a stiffener bonded to the skin on the inside but I'm a little worried about the different expansion rates when in the sun. How does filler hold up? Does it stay straight?

Thanks, Woody

------------------
woodys 427

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are they wavy or do they curve in at the area just in front of the door handles? There is a leveling block under the door skin in that area which is adjustable and will pull the skin in push it out.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock