Has anyone ever made... by thesameguy
Started on: 11-12-2013 02:40 PM
Replies: 14 (657 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 11-16-2013 12:09 AM
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
... a new, smaller center console? I'm not a big guy (6', 170lbs) but I find the center console *really* gets in my way. The square edge is major interference for my right elbow. There's a few console with cupholders and speakers and such that take up *more* room, but I want something that takes up less room, even if it means losing the storage cubby or the cigarette lighter. I don't use any of that stuff anyway. I don't know how much room there is to actually gain, but I'd be interested in whatever it is!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's actually pretty small as it is. You cannot reduce the size of the center console components by much because of the skeleton underneath. It would require some extreme modification to the console skeleton, which itself is key to structural integrity of the entire center console assembly. Also running directly under the center trim is the shift cables and ALDL wiring (the ALDL can be relocated, but the cables are a different story).

About the only possible thing you could reduce is remove the center console door. A simple flat panel could be made in it's place to cover the ECM (vented of course, as those vents on the side do actually serve a purpose).
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I figured. I peeked in there and it didn't appear to be much room to save, but thought I'd ask anyway. Just trying to figure out how to maximize my ability to drive this car quickly.
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The skeleton is pretty thin at that point. The space frame itself is responsible for the height. I doubt there's much to be gained vertically.
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you mounted a fuel cell in the front of the car, you could get rid of almost the entire console hump. But that would be the only option.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I made a new, smaller center console. It required deleting the entire console / skeleton assembly, because the skeleton is pretty bulky in some spots. The new console that I built was basically just a piece of fiberglass wrapped around the gas tank hump. See photos below.

This kind of project is definitely not for the faint of heart. But the new console did take up noticeably less space than the original. And it also weighed about 15 pounds less.
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
above pics....
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that is positively fantastic. Any chance you grabbed some pictures of the modified skeleton? I've never even seen what's down there, so I have no idea what modifications would be necessary to get there - but steering a sticky Fiero is such an annoyance I think I'd be willing to try!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't modify the skeleton; I got rid of it. For all intents and purposes, the car's chassis has become the console skeleton.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could go bowling in there... just need a set of pins.

That is awesome work! Bending wood like that, and doing it well, is not an easy task.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I didn't modify the skeleton; I got rid of it. For all intents and purposes, the car's chassis has become the console skeleton.

On my list of things to do!
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I made a new, smaller center console...

That looks pretty damn good.

I'm surprised though that I see no vents for the ECM. Was that not a concern?

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I need to go find a junkyard Fiero to dismantle!

Thanks!

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is still under construction but this is the only pic I have of it.
I have no back bone under it and it is only as wide as the carpet that is directly against the center structure. I even took out the plastic "things" that were under the carpet that make the center wider and house the Sub Amp and Cruise modual. My goal was to make the center console as small as possable.

If you want another view I can get a few pics soon.

When you do it yourself you have more options
The curv at the rear end is for a pad. I rest my arm on the center all the time so I want to make a nice arm rest. It will be about the same hight as the console so it does not look strange.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 11-14-2013).]

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is looking great! I'm really excited about doing this - the center console is the sole thing about the car that's getting me down right now. If it wasn't there, I could drive it like I built it to drive!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock