3800 SC Question, Come One Come All! by DKcustoms
Started on: 11-12-2013 10:51 AM
Replies: 5 (581 views)
Last post by: DKcustoms on 11-12-2013 07:52 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to do a 3800 SC swap in my Fiero, I already have the flywheel, new clutch, wiring harness, etc.
All I need is the motor and the PCM.

I know the supercharged version is technically the l67, and the non-supercharged motor is the l32.
But these are technically the same motor just one came with the supercharger and the other didn't.

I've done searches for both motors, and the l67s are always about $500 more expensive.
I'm a 21 year old college student with a car payment and student loans, so I'm trying to build this car on a budget.

Did the l67 come with better internals to allow it to handle the boost or would I be able to just buy an l32 and bolt on the supercharger?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my 2 cents on this one. You have 3 options with any engine. Factory, rebuilt, and boxed (crated).

Out of the 3 options, I personally always choose factory. They have always given me the least amount of issues. I am sure others may disagree.

So if you are looking to have it with a super-charger when complete...then find a decent L67.

Here is simple laymen's logic. An engine gets warn or broken in (by the driver's driving style)...which literally wears the parts into a comfortable groove(s).

Now you go an add a new variable like a super-charger and it will pull on the parts differently now and changes the strain on the individual parts, usually causing other secondary issues.

Sometimes the secondary issues happen really quickly or sometime is takes a few months...but in my personal experience...I always had secondary issues when changing it up like in this scenario.

Oh...and YES one of my Fiero's has a 3800SC (L67) engine...I got mine out of a 99 Buick Regal with less than 20K actual documented miles...but it cost me a nice $3K for the engine...you can find one with more miles for a lot less and it will still have a lot of life left.

Good luck
mikejhjr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're getting there. The L32 is also supercharged.

Just to clarify:
L67/L36 = Series 2 SC/Series 2 NA
L32/L26 = Series 3 SC/Series 3 NA

If the L32 is cheaper and in budget then it would be the better choice. However, some of the price difference will be used to get the L32 going. On top of the engine cost you'll need to buy a cable throttle body and you'll need to either swap injectors or adapt the harness to the series 3 injectors. If you do a Northstar throttle body swap it can get spendy ($300ish IIRC) so there goes most of the savings. New injectors, if you choose to go that route, will eat up the rest of the savings. So in the end they both cost about the same, you just get a newer engine with a little better supercharger. I don't know what it costs to swap a L67 throttle body on the L32, but that will be a big savings over the Northstar.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Putting a SC onto a na motor is a very common practice, and it isnt all that hard or expensive.. you really end up needing quite a few parts from a L67 is all. Heads/lim/blower/blower belt drive/injectors. I also suggest at least 1 decent mod that will let you run the stock pulley without worrying about putting extra stress on the bottom end.

Reality is, doing a turbo is probably easier and about the same price as getting a SC setup on... You just make 100whp more from the start.
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the same exact situation as you (Broke college student who wants to do a swap). I'm planning on doing an L36 just because one of my friends is getting a new car and will give me an insane deal on the L36 in his old regal. L67's have stronger rods and less compression because they are made to be supercharged, but both bottom ends are still quite strong. My plans are: L36 install then save up and put in NO2 when I get money and then save up and put in a turbo.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to do a series II, as, at least from my research, cheaper.

I know the series III is more efficient and slightly more powerful, but I am just looking to get the car on the road by May.

Adding a turbo isn't in my budget, or quite frankly, my interests at the moment.
I know they are "free power" yada yada yada but I need something ready to bolt in ready to go, and adding a turbo is a lot of tuning and intercooler piping that I don't want to deal with at this time.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock