Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I have a newbie question about 1984 fiero engine cradles and engine swaps

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
I have a newbie question about 1984 fiero engine cradles and engine swaps by bigjoe25
Started on: 11-11-2013 06:02 PM
Replies: 16 (963 views)
Last post by: Carcenomy on 11-18-2013 06:11 AM
bigjoe25

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigjoe25Send a Private Message to bigjoe25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember reading somewhere that 84 fiero's were harder to swap engines into for some odd reason? I can't remember where but I was wondering why this is exactly? I kind of want a Indy fiero if I can sell or trade my benz because I love the interior and exterior.

If I did get an Indy (the only 4 banger I'd consider) It would for sure have to be swapped out for something with more than 100 horsepower lol. Can anyone answer my question though? I'm sure with a grinder, torch, and welder anything is possible but I'd like to keep it simple. I'm only a shade tree mechanic and would even consider someone else doing the swap for me as it might be beyond my abilities.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 84 mounts were different Its not as easy to mount a V6 to it.. BUT, you can get a V6 cradle from an 85-87 and mount it in there, jut be warned, to some people here engine swapping an indy is like a fart in church during the blessing of the bread.

Also be warned that engine swapping an 84 is a bit trickier than others because of how the wiring harness is.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 11-11-2013).]

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cradle is the same. The wiring is not, the harness is close to the firewall instead of further to the rear, meaning the harness needs to be lengthened to remove it from the engine bay and heat.

------------------

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

The cradle is the same. The wiring is not, the harness is close to the firewall instead of further to the rear, meaning the harness needs to be lengthened to remove it from the engine bay and heat.

I was under the impression it was missing a mount for the V6 that was on later cradles?
aircraft_electrician

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aircraft_electricianSend a Private Message to aircraft_electricianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I was under the impression it was missing a mount for the V6 that was on later cradles?

Yes, the cradles are different. The 4 cylinder cradle does not have the mounts for the V6, BUT, the later V6 cradles will bolt right into the '84 and all other 4 cylinder cars.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cradles are identical other then the 84 does not have the holes in the cradle for mounting the little shock absorber the V6's used so for swapping any thing other then a stock fiero V6 there is no difference that matters.
Wiring wise it is just a matter of making the harness for an 84 and moving the C500 towards the driver's side so it clears the exhaust of a V6 engine and you need to run a few extra wires from the fuse box to power the extra needed ignition requirements of the newer engines.
That's it for differences in the 84 to other years swap wise. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

bigjoe25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigjoe25Send a Private Message to bigjoe25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. If I do get an indy i doubt I would swap it, just enjoy it and keep it clean and not drive it during the winter. I'm thinking about getting an 88, waiting for the 2.8 to blow up, then do a 3800. Nothing says I can't have two fieros. In the next coming months I'm getting quite a bit of extra cash so I may go that route. If I can ever sell my benz 1st that is.
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your pocketbook will tell you otherwise.
bigjoe25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigjoe25Send a Private Message to bigjoe25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Your pocketbook will tell you otherwise.

haha yeah thats true. I don't even have a fiero yet but I'm crazy about them. I almost got a trade for a low mileage 88 GT but the guy wanted $1,000 ontop of my car which it should of been the other way around, I should of been the one to get 1,000 bucks. Theres an auto indy not too far from me for a good price with low mileage that I may snatch up before selling my benz and just switch everything over and let my benz **** until it sells. It'll be slow but it'll get better than 15 mpg that my benz gets.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look for a 85 GT or any 86 and up NON GT, swap it. When you replace some thing that is used up, replace it with the indy looking parts. Make a clone, then you can have the looks, and not screw up a "REAL" indy. No gilt! If you know you are going to swap it, you can look for a car with a bad drive line, or used up seats. Do buy a good, non-rusted car.

[This message has been edited by FFIEROFRED (edited 11-13-2013).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

just be warned, to some people here engine swapping an indy is like a fart in church during the blessing of the bread.

It's true that a couple of folks on here are Bone stock Indy aficionados (OhioIndy), but I don't think anyone would begrudge him the opportunity to do whatever he wants to his own car.

I've got my Indy sitting parked and I want to fix it up, but that Iron Puke just sickens me every time I think about it. Other than the super duty the one engine I think fits the Indy would be the 2.8 V6. Or better an upgrade to a 3.4. It would have been awesome if GM had somehow accelerated the L44 and only the Indy got it in 84. I'm kicking around the idea of putting a crate 3.4 in mine and having a nice daily driver that would last for years. As an Iron puke it would be no fun buzzing down the highway at 75 mph with those ridiculous 4:10 gears. My $0.02

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-16-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

As an Iron puke it would be no fun buzzing down the highway at 75 mph with those ridiculous 4:10 gears.

It's not an Indy, but I swapped an Isuzu 5-spd into my '84 and that car is great on the highway (and surprises a lot of people at the autocross track).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-16-2013).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

It's not an Indy, but I swapped an Isuzu 5-spd into my '84 and that car is great on the highway (and surprises a lot of people at the autocross track).

The Isuzu would be a great improvement over the 4:10 4 speed. I know the love that the purists have for the Indy, but aside from appearance, mechanically it's the worst example of the Fiero. I'm struggling with that myself.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know the love that the purists have for the Indy...

Yeah, I would hate the idea of feeling pressure to maintain the "factory" specs or appearance.

Not having the option to swap out the tranny and/or engine for a better one, or not having the option to lower the suspension (to get rid of the bush-buggy look) would ruin the experience of owning an Indy (or any Fiero) for me.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yeah, I would hate the idea of feeling pressure to maintain the "factory" specs or appearance.

Not having the option to swap out the tranny and/or engine for a better one, or not having the option to lower the suspension (to get rid of the bush-buggy look) would ruin the experience of owning an Indy (or any Fiero) for me.

Yeah I mean if I had a really nice factory stock Indy okay keep it original...but mine was a heartbeat away from the crusher when I got it. Restoring it to factory stock would be a waste of money as it's never going to be worth a 10th of what I would put into it. And if it's not fun to drive then it's really a waste. Might as well make it something fun to drive that I would enjoy. I'm leaning toward a resto-mod. Mostly original appearance, with upgraded drive-train, suspension and brakes.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Might as well make it something fun to drive that I would enjoy. I'm leaning toward a resto-mod. Mostly original appearance, with upgraded drive-train, suspension and brakes.

Sounds good to me!
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just from personal experience, engine swapping an '84 isn't that bad. I did an LN3 3800 swap back in 2001 as the original Duke had some serious issues for which we couldn't get the parts to remedy. It was only years later when I came to Pennock's that I learned that there's loads of differences that make the job harder

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock