Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How often do people comment on your car when you take it out? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
How often do people comment on your car when you take it out? by sco77
Started on: 11-11-2013 02:32 PM
Replies: 79 (2322 views)
Last post by: fierobug on 05-24-2014 08:00 AM
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got to thinking that nearly every single time that I take my car out and stop somewhere I get someone that either asks what kind/year it is or compliments/asks questions about it. Took out this morning and first stop in a gas station and a couple bikers came over to take pictures of my car and engine, then stopped again somewhere 10 mins later and had a couple other people take pictures of it.

Do these cars really cause this much attention?

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice ones...yes. On second thought...even my crappy indy generates comments because it's got the classic Fiero look that everybody remembers. Some folks don't even remember the fastback.
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I take my 87 GT out, I have gotten comments such as what kind of car is that? or I haven't seen one of those in a long time or just what a nice looking car.

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EVERY TIME I take her out...I get a positive comment!
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
every time I take that citation I have out.... my 87 fastback I got a lot of complements on, my mera has supposedly been bringing a lot of attention at the shop its at but I haven't been able to drive it
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I get quite a bit of comments, usually the same stuff like what kind of car is that or my {insert relation of your liking here} used to have one of those. I did get a guy drooling over my car at a gas station once that went above and beyond in my eyes. I was sitting in my car on the phone and could "feel" somebody staring at me. When I got off the phone the guy in the minivan next to me asked if it was a Fiero. I got out and started talking to him, the best part was him saying he never remembered Fieros looking that good. He actually offered to buy it from me then and there, even give me a ride home to get the title. I had to kindly decline his offer
lilred 86 se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lilred 86 seSend a Private Message to lilred 86 seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its amazing the transition of comments thru the years. My car is an 86 red SE (fully loaded with the suede seats) has been in my care since Oct 1993. Thru my senior year at HS and thru my college years I was constantly heckeled about my fiero. It was mostly friendly "ribbing" per say but there was the occasional not so friendly remark. I have noticed over the last several years especially, that everyone has something positive to say and most people have forgotten gm even made a mid engine car. I still get a kick every time a new tech goes to change the oil.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been getting a lot of comments from the younger crowd (teens & early 20-somethings). I guess they have never seen one before, but I was complimented/asked what kind of car is that almost everytime I drive my '88 GT. I even had a kid working the drive-thru of a chicken place come outside to take a closer look at it!

The funny thing to me is I have owned waaay nicer Fieros before and never got the compliments that this GT is getting now.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Latest for me was at a NJ inspection station. The inspectors were very complimentary. I was getting my lo mile SE inspected. The upshot was they see Fieros from time to time but very few in good condition. It passed easy but it should considering. Prior, a guy at Home Depot asked why I didn't have historic plates on it. All comments over the last several years have been positive; for both. Several years ago, I went to our local GM dealer in my Fiero to take a used Solstice out for a drive. Upon return, the Fiero had attracted several of the sales guys who were looking it over, a "what if" conversation was in play.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much always unless they drive a Ferrari

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Cutty gets more compliments and conversation than my Formula, but the paint is crappy on it. If I can ever get it painted I'm sure it'll get plenty. It gets them here and there.
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last week, I found a note on the windsheild, saying "nice car, & a text me, & a phone number . I traded a few text, turns out to be a young kid that said he had an 84 coupe w/ Buick V6 in it. Told him to join PFF.

I had one yesterday, while at a light, car to the right of me inched forword, the driver said, "can I talk to you about your car ?" "I see it says TDI , is that a diesel ?"

Told him I'm pulling in at the next light to go to work. We talked a bit, he & his wife were about 65, from New Hampshire, they winter in FL. He was eager to see the engine. Was very impressed. Said he knew someone that was into Fieros, he took & sent photos to him.

I had three people today, one, a guy in a shopping center parking lot, "is that a diesel I here ? He said, oh wow, I always loved those cars, and what a great idea to put a TDI in one. Then came the stupid question, "How'd you do that ?" Told him, I paid somebody.

The other two were some young 16 - 17 year old kids in Discount Auto parking lot, gave a "Nice car" & a "thumbs up" They also wanted to see the engine & front trunk. I had the time, so I gave them the nickle tour.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 11-11-2013).]

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last one I got was "figured you were a mechanic driving a Fiero".
Younger people just get this weird look on their face. Like what the hell is that.
Get a lot of people with the laugh under their breath. It does look like crap right now. Until I key it over and it fires right up. Then you see the reaction "damn"
A while back a Mustang (newer V8)was tail gating me. Hit a few tight turns, gained a lot of distance from him. After that he left me a respected distance.
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

The last one I got was "figured you were a mechanic driving a Fiero".
Younger people just get this weird look on their face. Like what the hell is that.
Get a lot of people with the laugh under their breath. It does look like crap right now. Until I key it over and it fires right up. Then you see the reaction "damn"
A while back a Mustang (newer V8)was tail gating me. Hit a few tight turns, gained a lot of distance from him. After that he left me a respected distance.

God, the tailgating is the worst... I live in a college town with a stock 86 GT, a few exterior mods, but nothing to the engine (until my upcoming swap this summer!!). Everyone in their hondas or subarus or any other car will follow me really closely despite the fact I'm already going 5 over. Infact, most of the people who do it are packs of highschool males in a bone stock four door sedan...
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I must be living in the wrong part of the country. Other than at a few car shows, I've never had anyone come up and look at the car, let alone compliment it. Not sure why that is....

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

I must be living in the wrong part of the country. Other than at a few car shows, I've never had anyone come up and look at the car, let alone compliment it. Not sure why that is....

Not sure why either.....you have a *very* nice Fiero.

The first time someone complimented my current '88 GT I paused a couple of seconds before I responded......it took that long for my brain to comprehend it and to decide that he wasn't being "funny", but was actually sincere.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is cool to get comments on how the car looks, but for me the best comments are the ones about the Sound of the LS swap. Every now and then just starting it sets off car alarms that seems to draw a few looks LOL Some of the comments are actually on the road while I am driving, one of them was a Biker who stopped next to me at a stop light and asked a few questions about the engine. Some times the comments are from people that I have given a ride to like a co-worker needed a ride home from work the other day and asked if I could help him out, "sure" I said. I told him I drove in a Fiero that day and asked him" if he thought he would fit" ( he was about 6-2) and his "lunch Box" was a small cooler that did not even fit in the trunk. He got in the car and sit this cooler on his lap for the 45min drive home. He kept commenting on how the car sounded and felt and as he was telling me a story about some one he knew who had a Fiero way back when,.. I stopped on it to pass slow traffic LOL his jaw about landed on his lunch box in disbelief." His friend's Fiero did not have power like that" LOL
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

Clean car. Just needs more low. :-D
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

It is cool to get comments on how the car looks, but for me the best comments are the ones about the Sound of the LS swap. Every now and then just starting it sets off car alarms that seems to draw a few looks LOL

Heh.....this reminds me of when I had my Northstar powered Fiero. I loved the way it sounded.....nice rumble to it.....and it would regularly set off car alarms too.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every time if i stop. Always get looks waves etc as daily driver is import too. Every car I have owned has been rather unique. I am used to being questioned or stared at waiting at lights.
http://www.wedriveexcitement.com (holden HDT & Pontiac slogans) personal site
http://www.passionatepursuitofperfection.com (lexus slogan) personal site
I love cars (working improving) and hate them same time (fixing anything existing).
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Several times each week someone will make a comment or two about my car. Most often its about the exhaust note having a nice rumble to it, or asking what's in that thing. Most people love the way it sounds (the car itself is somewhat a basket case), how it fits the engine bay, and how clutter free the install is. Sometimes people recognized me without the LS4/F40 Fiero and say, hey aren't you the guy with the V8 Fiero?
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely more than if I was driving a Chevy Chevette! get them now and again. Sometimes you just here someone shouting "Nice car!" or a child saying "mommy, look at that race car!" Always puts a smile on my face.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Compliments never stop coming in all the years I've owned my 88. I would have to say that it is the main reason that I've stayed with it and not been tempted to get something else.

------------------

Car History: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Topic: How often do people comment on your car when you take it out?

Pretty often. Fieros are pretty rare where I live. People either know the car, and are happy to see one, or they never heard of it, and are curious. and I love it when kids see it and are like "woa!". But all that is nothing compared to how I feel when my son finds out we're going for a drive somewhere in it.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

I got to thinking that nearly every single time that I take my car out and stop somewhere I get someone that either asks what kind/year it is or compliments/asks questions about it. Took out this morning and first stop in a gas station and a couple bikers came over to take pictures of my car and engine, then stopped again somewhere 10 mins later and had a couple other people take pictures of it.

Do these cars really cause this much attention?

im having trouble believing you took your car out but yea, 2 times atleast every time I go somewhere. and god forbid I goto like the ave in whitemarsh or something....
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday someone asked me what year,told me my car looked wonderful but then asked me if I did a motor swap . I told him no but when it runs right it sure does sound good. Stock 87gt , v-6
McTamney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McTamneySend a Private Message to McTamneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Comments? Yes.

Always positive? No.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not every time but every other time. the mechanic who helped me rebuild the 86 SE we have now said, " look at that someone painted the intake red" I informed him they came that way, hey he had never seen one before, at least not worked on one.

parked it in Wal Mart one day and the people next to me were getting out of there car and I could here the older guy telling his kid what it was. so when I got out I popped the trunk and showed the teen the engine. and told him it was the only American made Mid Engine car ever made. he looked like WTF Pontiac made a mid engine car. my grand kids think its cooler than their other grand dads 70 GTO.

depends on the people and if they are car people, it seems they are getting rarer and rarer as time goes by.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every one of my boys friends think mine is the coolest thing ever and mine looks like crap right now. I can however let them hear it because it does start and run well. Can't wait to get the body done and painted!
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes people say: "Wow! That's cool! (I, my friend, relative, neighbour etc.) had one!"
Mostly positive comments... some closer to reality...

Sometimes it's: "Don't see those every day!"
My reply: "Well, if I don't see three when the barn door goes up something's been stolen."
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd say about 50% of the time. The best one was when my son and I were putting groceries in the trunk in the store parking lot. An employee was gathering up shopping carts and said nice Ferrari(he acted like he might be a quart shy of full). As he walked over to look, he said wow,I didn't know they put the engines in the back. I said Ferrari has made mid engine cars for years and left it at that.
Marc
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not very often at all. Daily driver 86 GT fastback.

Fieros are kinda rare around here but not extremely. I've posted a bunch in the "have you seen a Fiero today?" thread. Maybe it will bring more attention when it gets the iGTO front bumper.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I got my first Fiero, the ricer kids that buzzed by down my street every day were buzzing along and hit the brakes and stopped and just stared up my driveway at it. I dont think they knoew I was in the garage. Must ahve been a few minutes they sat there. Probably wondering why it said PONTIAC on the back bumper, or arguing what it was or something.

I do get comments and looks. Kids saying "cool car" people saying "nice Fiero". Most of the time "Is that a Fiero?" Yep "I havent seen one is a long time". Sometimes "Is it fast?". Lots of people crane their necks on the freeway as they pass.
One time at a gas station I was filling it up, a stoner looking guy came out of the station and just stopped walking and stared at the car. Then he said "Dude is that a Fiero?" with a sound of disbelief, I shook my head yes, he said "WOOOAAAAA!" Then his buddy came out of the station behind him, he points and says to his buddy "Dude thats a Fiero!".
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Pretty much always unless they drive a Ferrari

Pretty much the same for me. Yours looks like the twin of my 308 kit. I really got crap from them at a big local show when the promoters parked me with them. It was fun outrunning a couple of them when we were leaving. Stock real ones only had about 225-245 hp (US), depending on year, and I had 300.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Comments: all the time, always positive

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most compliments I get are on how clean my car is and not so much in regard to the fact that its a Fiero.
Kit
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every time, most of them at the gas station I spend too much time there.
Its pieced together and dirty but it still gets complements.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of comments and all positive.

The funniest is I hate Fiero's but I like yours.

Most of the time with the mods I have and the condition I get many that say they have not seen a Fiero like it or in that kind of condition in years.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Usually once every couple weeks actually... sometimes more, sometimes less.
WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here in Southern California I can count the number of Fieros I've seen on the road on one hand. But the comments are always positive as I explain it as a restoration project.

Coming home from work at night, I typically will get the Vette's tail me for a bit just looking at it. Night is best because the paint is pretty faded, but faded black is easily forgiven in the middle of the night.

First thing I did when I got this one was make sure the PONTIAC lights were alll working. Its kind of neat to blaze that logo on dark California freeway. I do see a few Solstices and Firebirds but I'm never in the Fiero when I see them although the Miata crowd at my school where I teach were VERY impressed the first time I took it to work.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock