Started on: 11-09-2013 02:40 PM
Replies: 25 (1428 views)
Last post by: mousemeat on 09-09-2018 12:24 PM
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shift cable on my Fiero broke a couple of weeks ago while doing a little spirited driving. I opted to buy Rodney's shift and select cables. Since one broke, I figured the other was not too far behind, so I replaced both.

First - Rodney's customer service and shipping is first class, bar none. I ordered them on a Thursday and they were on my front door Monday.

Second - the quality of these cables rivals OEM. The heat shield is nice thick and covers the entire cable inside the engine compartment

Third - The cables action is silky smooth.

After getting the cables replaced and adjusted, I took the car out for a test drive. I gotta admit, that the car shifted like a new car. I had not realized how stiff my old cables had become with age. Going thru the gears is a breeze with the new cables. Prior to changing cables, second gear was hard to get into - not anymore

So Thanks for an exceptional product and great customer service Rodney!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney would be the ONLY person I would buy from for quality made parts. He has great products.
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is only one Sir Rodney of Dickmans.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used his getrag clutch slave cylinder, the adjustable clutch banjo and I just ordered his Mera exhaust outlets, Not the cheapest things about there but you cannot go wrong with his quality.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PK:

Could only be stated this way by a Brit.
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first thought was the Fiero Store. They are pretty good at getting parts out fast, but I remembered that Rodney had some parts. His heat shield looks to be superior to the one from the other vendor. His prices were comparable as well.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Rodney would be the ONLY person I would buy from for quality made parts. He has great products.

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

topcat

5486 posts
Member since Dec 2001
My first thought was the Fiero Store. They are pretty good at getting parts out fast, but I remembered that Rodney had some parts. His heat shield looks to be superior to the one from the other vendor. His prices were comparable as well.

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney has some fantastic products. I use them regularly. I can tell when something is cheap and Rodney's stuff is NOT junk.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced my selector cable with one of Rodneys a couple of years ago. I was immediately sorry I did not replace the other cable too. The difference was that obvious. I really don't want to pull all of the delicate skeleton out again to replace it but I probably will.

------------------

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was actually able to replace my cables without taking the entire skeleton out. I removed the center console, the power window/mirror switch plate, then removed all the hardware common to the skeleton that was accessible. I was then able to "move " the rear portion of the skeleton enough to snake the cables under it. My skeleton is in pristine shape, and is still pretty flexible.

On replacing both cables - it is definitely worth it to do both at the same time, even if one is not bad. In fact I'd go as far as saying if your shift is not silky smooth, it is probably time to change the cables. They stiffen with heat and age. The one cable that was not broken was hard to pull thru the sheath once I got it out of the car.

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

I replaced my selector cable with one of Rodneys a couple of years ago. I was immediately sorry I did not replace the other cable too. The difference was that obvious. I really don't want to pull all of the delicate skeleton out again to replace it but I probably will.

PFF
System Bot
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone confirm the new cables are clocked correctly? I'd like to buy a set and toss them in the "future repair" stash. They won't be around forever.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 11-11-2013).]

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes they are - additionally they are adjustable so you can turn the end to where ever you'd like. For the record, my cables were adjusted to the correct length right out of the box.

Originally posted by TK:

Can anyone confirm the new cables are clocked correctly? I'd like to buy a set and toss them in the "future repair" stash. They won't be around forever.

fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

Rodney has some fantastic products. I use them regularly. I can tell when something is cheap and Rodney's stuff is NOT junk.

They normally fit out of the box. Rodney's stuff is first class in quality and support.

Mike Parker
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

Yes they are - additionally they are adjustable so you can turn the end to where ever you'd like. For the record, my cables were adjusted to the correct length right out of the box.

Perfect! Thanks Topcat.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

I was actually able to replace my cables without taking the entire skeleton out. I removed the center console, the power window/mirror switch plate, then removed all the hardware common to the skeleton that was accessible. I was then able to "move " the rear portion of the skeleton enough to snake the cables under it. My skeleton is in pristine shape, and is still pretty flexible.

On replacing both cables - it is definitely worth it to do both at the same time, even if one is not bad. In fact I'd go as far as saying if your shift is not silky smooth, it is probably time to change the cables. They stiffen with heat and age. The one cable that was not broken was hard to pull thru the sheath once I got it out of the car.

And they look great too! My shift looks tired and sad next to the new (actually 4 years old now) Rodney cable.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

My cables are not adjustable. They are like OEM cables. Specific made and the correct length etc. I used to sell (more than a few years ago now) cables that were adjustable and I did adjust them to factory specs before I shipped them so they fit right when installed. All my cables now are specific made like OEM factory cables and are not adjustable.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

My cables are not adjustable. They are like OEM cables. Specific made and the correct length etc. I used to sell (more than a few years ago now) cables that were adjustable and I did adjust them to factory specs before I shipped them so they fit right when installed. All my cables now are specific made like OEM factory cables and are not adjustable.

PM sent.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could someone post a pic of the ends of the Dickman selector cable? It sounds like he's taken care of the problems I saw on other cables. I'd like to see what they look like.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can see what you are looking for on my other cables. The rubber boots cover the Getrag cable ends where they mount to the transmission. Here are the V-6 4 speed cables:

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=57&products_id=69

They have the same ends on the transmission end as all my other cables. Loosen the lock nut and you can rotate the end in any direction and re-tighten the lock nut. On the Getrag cables you would need to cut the zip tie and pull the boot back. When finished put the boot back on and install a new zip tie.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

You can see what you are looking for on my other cables. The rubber boots cover the Getrag cable ends where they mount to the transmission. Here are the V-6 4 speed cables:

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=57&products_id=69

They have the same ends on the transmission end as all my other cables. Loosen the lock nut and you can rotate the end in any direction and re-tighten the lock nut. On the Getrag cables you would need to cut the zip tie and pull the boot back. When finished put the boot back on and install a new zip tie.

**** , I totally missed that in the pics! Thanks Rodney. More money is on the way. I need to pick up a couple of other things.

PFF
System Bot
Monstertone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2018 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonstertoneSend a Private Message to MonstertoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After getting the cables replaced and adjusted, I took the car out for a test drive. I gotta admit, that the car shifted like a new car. I had not realized how stiff my old cables had become with age. Going thru the gears is a breeze with the new cables. Prior to changing cables, second gear was hard to get into - not anymore

Second gear has always been an issue which I thought was due to a tired syncro. But I'm beginning to wonder if the the problem may instead be the shift cables. Sometimes, if I pull the shift lever down & to the right & shift slow, it will shift from 1st to 2nd smooth as butter. Down shifting is another matter, usually involving double clutching, getting the RPMs right & hope for the best. More than likely a combination of both. Thoughts?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2018 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monstertone:

Down shifting is another matter, usually involving double clutching, getting the RPMs right & hope for the best. More than likely a combination of both.

I have the very common Getrag select cable (side to side) stiffness issue with my '88 Formula. When I downshift from 5th gear on the freeway, no matter how carefully I try to rev match, the tranny just doesn't seem to want to shift smoothly into... reverse.

Someday I'll actually install the replacement select cable I have sitting here.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-08-2018).]

mousemeat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2018 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mousemeatSend a Private Message to mousemeatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I third the motion...I also replaced my aging cables, which one of 'em , was in the stages of freezing up. REPLACED
both cables...also bought and installed the SHORTER shifter...which is about 2 inches shorter,than the original
FIERO shifter....LIKE A new CAR, indeed ! well worth the monies spent
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2018 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't agree more. I purchased a number if items from Rodney, and everything was of superior quality. I was, and still am COMPLETELY SATISFIED.

……..Sir Rodney of Dickmans……..hahaha, that's funny !
mousemeat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2018 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mousemeatSend a Private Message to mousemeatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PK:

Bloody Wanker ! (LOL)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock