My "new" 1988 Fiero GT by 88_GT4ME
Started on: 11-07-2013 08:41 PM
Replies: 12 (442 views)
Last post by: BV MotorSports on 11-08-2013 05:53 PM
88_GT4ME

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_GT4MESend a Private Message to 88_GT4MEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello!

First post for me! Glad to see there is such a thriving community for this car!

Thought I'd share my First Fiero experience...

I'd been staring at this car from across the street for about a year and a half, it was my neighbors Fiero.
It sat and sat, just looking sad. The Fiero was the racecar I wanted as a kid (I'm 29 now) and I knew one day I'd go hash out the details with my neighbor in regards to purchase.

Well the day finally came last week. I went over, knocked on the door and asked him what the heck was up with the car?

Turns out he and his with were in France on a mission, I suppose church related, and their son was supposed to sell it. Only problem was that after they split town, it stopped running.

I did some reading and determined it needed a new ICM, and boom, spark, fired right up with questionable fuel and all. Just purred.... So glad the ICM is such a typical failed part as it made it easy to get going again.

Anyhow, turns out my neighbor bought the car brand-new, off the lot in 1988.

She's a GT with the V6 and 5speed tranny. 180K miles on the chassis, and about 7K miles on a newer motor. He gave me the factory installed T-top registry paperwork, dealer receipts from orig purchase, orig owners manual, and a ton of other service records.

I'm stoked on this car! Looking forward to getting to know her better and sone of you as well!

VIN: 1G2PG1196JP214310

http://i857.photobucket.com...mage_zps98a81039.jpg
http://i857.photobucket.com...mage_zps6addb505.jpg
http://i857.photobucket.com...mage_zps9dffd1bf.jpg
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avpSend a Private Message to avpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car men, its very Beatiful!!
88_GT4ME

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_GT4MESend a Private Message to 88_GT4MEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you!
1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice are. If I remember right t-tops in this color are kind of rare.

------------------

1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe (Juliet) in restoration
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089093.html
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe (Bella) in restoration
1990 Black Buick Reatta (Noir)
2002 White Chevy Impala base(Haylie)

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome story, thank you for sharing.
88_GT4ME

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_GT4MESend a Private Message to 88_GT4MEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx and my pleasure!

Glad I found this car/ this forum. Seems an infinite supply of knowledge lies ahead.

If anyone else happens to read/ wants to educate a newbie, feel free to shoot!

I tried to get a good shot of the orig equipment sticker under the hood, but it's faded badly.
Is there a way to locate or contact anyone for a duplicate or info on what it orig read as new?

Thanx again guys!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nice looking car.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 11-08-2013).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your car looks to be in great shape for 180K and having sat in the driveway for a while. Your neighbor has great tastes in cars, including that BelAir 2-Door Post.
88_GT4ME

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_GT4MESend a Private Message to 88_GT4MEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx again guys!

The fiero was from the next drive away on the right from the BelAir, (first pic) just sitting there.

That BelAir is killer, the guy throws one of those giant external AC units on the side that fills with ice, then drafts cold air into the cabin. Swamp cooler I guess...

Any tips on the Fiero? Such as "keep a spare ICM with"?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since it's been sitting for a while, I'd remove the ballast resistor for the heating and AC and look for any signs of rats nests. It's in the front compartment, just to the passenger side of the big receiver dryer (silver canister). It has a black wiring harness plugged into it. Critters love to build their nests against it and when it gets red hot, it ignites the bedding. And the car.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88_GT4ME:
the guy throws one of those giant external AC units on the side that fills with ice, then drafts cold air into the cabin. Swamp cooler I guess...

Any tips on the Fiero? Such as "keep a spare ICM with"?

Looks very nice... Congrats! I have one that's supposed to look like that but in need of restoration.

The Fiero Ignition module is notorious for leaving you on the side of the road, but I have to admit I've twice changed mine on the side of the road and it was not the cause my problem and still came home on the flatbed, (plugged converter and failed coil).
PFF
System Bot
88_GT4ME

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_GT4MESend a Private Message to 88_GT4MEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great advice! I know we have rats in the neighborhood too, as I killed several when I bought my place. There's a good chance rodents have at least been around the car.

Thanx again in the compliments, guys. Makes owning her even sweeter. I will definitely look it the suggested components!

A little off topic, but are any of you aware of Fiero meet-and-greets around the Bay Area? I'm near San Jose CA and think it would be cool to participate. Most if my general searches leave me with old posts or missed opportunities. I've seen Golden Gate Fieros as well but their site seems a bit stale/ not updated. I could be wrong.

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! How you enjoy your new ride!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock