The 3800 S/C and you by 1fast2m4
Started on: 11-05-2013 08:57 PM
Replies: 13 (616 views)
Last post by: bmwguru on 11-08-2013 04:46 AM
1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems Like ALOT of swappers are breaking down there 3800 (S/C & N/A) "Just to be safe" or for "Preventative maintenance" I've read about it here on the forums and heard about guys at car shows with a 3800 on the stand waiting to scratch up the cash to overhaul it before their swap.

PLEASE STOP THIS MADDNESS

The 3800 is STILL one of the most common engine available in the wrecking yards, they are inexpensive and readily available. If you do get it all together and it knock but another one without the blower on top.

That was the beauty of the 3800 Fiero swap in the first place, I'm sorry I'll stop my little rant now, It is just a tad annoying to see all the perfectly good Fieros in garages that are getting colder by the day, with there arses up in the air and a obscenely clean 3800 sitting beside them collecting dust. all while some of the quickest Fieros on the planet have never even have the heads off.

GET -R- DONE

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 11-05-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87FieroSport

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a cheap way to atleast get a 3800 in there as have some fun before anything craps out. I'd just throw one in.
Unless I was building it to race/be a street demon.

I have no problem with working on my cars, I enjoy doing things
With the engine in the car, (Did my rear head gasket without pulling the motor. Took 5 hours)

My Shop swaps in motors with ~70k on the clock and all we do are water pumps, and timing belts. Depending.
I'd do the same treatment to my 3800. Pump, belts, ect. Nothing too fancy that I can't do with it in the car.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do it for a clean swap, you should try it.

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 11-05-2013).]

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New knock sensors and cleaning the sludge buildup out of the holes are a must. I spend stupid money on my cars, but they are my hobby. Some people like pools at their homes, some like to spend money on upgrading their homes.....I like spending my extra cash on my cars. There are two drivers in my house and I have over 10 registrations to renew every year. The last thing I want in my life is a body of water in my backyard that I have to measure the pH level and scoop the leaves out of.

As for the preventative maintenance, I'm all for it. My personal swaps got all new belt driven accessories, starter, spark plugs, coils, radiator and gas tank sent out to be cleaned. I want my car clean and reliable enough to go anywhere at any given moment. I have AAA, but never used it. I'm not looking to be the fastest or the cleanest show quality. I'm looking to make myself happy and no one else.

I have a checklist I go over for every car I own that twice a year I spend a weekend going doing right before Winter and Summer.

Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I`m glad they are readily available where you are but I found that they are not that plentiful down here in central Texas at least not according to car-part. com
I got lucky when I boulght mine as it was only a few miles away but I still think I paid too much for it.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 11-06-2013).]

Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what kind of Preventative maintenance should one be doing before they swap one into their Fiero? I'm doing a swap this summer and need it to be more or less reliable when I go back to school.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost every time I go to the boneyard I find 10 or 12 of 'em with the blowers ripped off and the engine full of rain water.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Almost every time I go to the boneyard I find 10 or 12 of 'em with the blowers ripped off and the engine full of rain water.

X2 here.

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 11-06-2013).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Big Paul:

So what kind of Preventative maintenance should one be doing before they swap one into their Fiero? I'm doing a swap this summer and need it to be more or less reliable when I go back to school.

Depends on the mileage....I try to find series III engines with approx 20,000 miles. That gets harder as the engines get older. I wouldn't even look at an engine that was sitting in the junkyard for a while unless it was stored inside. Most of the yards I deal with are huge warehouses that have their engines complete with wiring strapped to a pallet and on a huge shelf. Get a VIN number when you buy the engine.
Normally, I replace the knock sensors, any pulleys that sound rough when spun, the lower intake gasket, and I pull the oil pan to see what is sitting inside (sludge, metal, etc.) Do a leakdown test. New spark plugs, all new fluids, and valve cover gaskets. If the engine has over 50,000 miles, I pull the timing cover and make sure that the guide isn't cracked.
I also take the blower apart and check the coupler and feel the snout bearings. Change the oil in the blower too.
Dave
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:
radiator and gas tank sent out to be cleaned.
Dave

PM SENT!

Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Depends on the mileage....I try to find series III engines with approx 20,000 miles. That gets harder as the engines get older. I wouldn't even look at an engine that was sitting in the junkyard for a while unless it was stored inside. Most of the yards I deal with are huge warehouses that have their engines complete with wiring strapped to a pallet and on a huge shelf. Get a VIN number when you buy the engine.
Normally, I replace the knock sensors, any pulleys that sound rough when spun, the lower intake gasket, and I pull the oil pan to see what is sitting inside (sludge, metal, etc.) Do a leakdown test. New spark plugs, all new fluids, and valve cover gaskets. If the engine has over 50,000 miles, I pull the timing cover and make sure that the guide isn't cracked.
I also take the blower apart and check the coupler and feel the snout bearings. Change the oil in the blower too.
Dave

Thanks! I'll look all those over! It's an l36 from a friends car because he's getting a new one soon! Fairly high miles, so ill look under the timing cover as well as everything else!
PFF
System Bot
1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't referring to simple "preventive maintenance", I myself did Valve cover gaskets, lower Intake Gasket, water pump, T-Stat, spark plugs, wires & Trans filter.

I was referring to ripping the motor apart, sending the block & crank out to the machine shop, new bearings, honing the bores, new rings, and all that jazz.

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 11-07-2013).]

87FieroSport

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some people just want a completely fresh engine then.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fast2m4:

I wasn't referring to simple "preventive maintenance", I myself did Valve cover gaskets, lower Intake Gasket, water pump, T-Stat, spark plugs, wires & Trans filter.

I was referring to ripping the motor apart, sending the block & crank out to the machine shop, new bearings, honing the bores, new rings, and all that jazz.

That was fun to do when I was 18 and wanted to experience building my own motor and then installing it. I've been an automotive tech for almost 20 years now and I only build an engine when it is necessary. I'd rather buy a long block with a warranty and put those extra hours saved into tasting a new beer.

Dave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock