Started on: 11-01-2013 10:50 AM
Replies: 6 (450 views)
Last post by: SKIDMARK on 11-02-2013 01:07 AM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those of you that have installed Dynamat or another similar product, what difference did you experience? What was the cost and difficulty of install? Would you do it again?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With dynamat-type products, you REALLY get what you pay for. The best advice I can think of is to buy they best material you can afford.

I installed a cheap knock off when I put the sound system in my truck, and it made virtually no difference.

Installation isn't difficult. Just measure and cut before you put it down, just like you would do with carpet. Once its on though, it ain't coming off without a fight.
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the lobucrod stuff and I am happy with it. Very inexpensive. I put down 2 layers and it cuts easily with a knife or scissors. Secured it with spray adhesive and some double sided tape for the over head and sides. I thought when I got it that it may be a little suspect, but the sound deadening has been great. Mind you that is 2 layers under my new carpet from stock interiors with the mass backing. But I can easily use my hands free mic and people can hear me no problem. The dynamat stuff can be real expensive and I find it does wonders for vibration but I wasnt installing big subs in my car. My build thread has a pic or two of it in there. I feel like the car is much more like our newer cars now as far as cabin noise compared to before. But I never did any testing before and after to be sure.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

[This message has been edited by KOS (edited 11-01-2013).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dynomat is severly overpriced for what it is, a butyl rubber based constrained layer dampener. I used the products from here...

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/

My install thread:
Sound Deadening Stage 1

Never got around to doing anything more than a layer of Damplifier Pro... I would like to do some more work with mass loaded closed-cell foam in the future when I have time. I used the 36.5 sq. ft. bulk pack and had some left over after getting the coverage I wanted.

Do not use an asphalt based roofing material, I repeat ASPHALT=NOT GOOD.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 11-01-2013).]

Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Dynomat is severly overpriced for what it is, a butyl rubber based constrained layer dampener. I used the products from here...

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/

My install thread:
Sound Deadening Stage 1

Never got around to doing anything more than a layer of Damplifier Pro... I would like to do some more work with mass loaded closed-cell foam in the future when I have time. I used the 36.5 sq. ft. bulk pack and had some left over after getting the coverage I wanted.

Do not use an asphalt based roofing material, I repeat ASPHALT=NOT GOOD.

Just curious, why shouldn't you use the asphalt roofing material? I put it in my car a few years ago without really thinking, and I haven't had any problems. All the material is really supposed to do is stop the sheet metal from vibrating/oscillating while you're driving I believe.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Big Paul:

Just curious, why shouldn't you use the asphalt roofing material? I put it in my car a few years ago without really thinking, and I haven't had any problems. All the material is really supposed to do is stop the sheet metal from vibrating/oscillating while you're driving I believe.

Mostly, outgassing. Meaning, it "can" outgas leaving a asphalt odor in the car. However, many people have done it without that problem but it still "could" happen.
SKIDMARK

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SKIDMARKSend a Private Message to SKIDMARKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because I was getting tired of the road noise and engine noise in the passenger compartment, I used a cheap product called GTmat. .050" thick aluminum foil faced sticky rubber-like product that worked pretty well to limit the noise in the cockpit. I used a single layer for the most part on the firewall behind the seats and it did an OK job of quieting the engine droning (3.4 DOHC with custom exhaust). Less than $40 for 25 sq. ft. was enough to do the firewall, rear pillars, and doors. The only problem I have with it is the smell but that is going away with time....and an air freshener. I wouldn't pay the price for Dynamat....way way overpriced!
This stuff does have an odor but the asphalt stuff from homey depot stinks something terrible. The neighbor had the stuff on his roof and it stunk in my house. I can't imagine how bad it would be inside a little car!

[This message has been edited by SKIDMARK (edited 11-02-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock