Engine vent replacement called "Lazy C" by pegasus1848
Started on: 11-01-2013 01:07 AM
Replies: 25 (1097 views)
Last post by: pegasus1848 on 11-23-2013 12:53 AM
pegasus1848

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pegasus1848Send a Private Message to pegasus1848Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody remember the scoops that came from the rear deck vents and curled around to the sail windows.
Or maybe have a set to sell or know somebody that does.
Thanks for any help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original molds use to be with the Cutter Brothers in CO. They like many had a fall out with FOCOA who was the distributor. I don't think they are involved with Fieros any more. I have no clue where the molds are or have I seen any around in a long time. The reviews were great and I would have some, but I had just bought a set of Fi-Air-O scoops just before they were made available.

Happy hunting & keep us advised. They were for coups only but looked & functioned very good.

Mike Parker
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah,they were pretty cool looking, and MUCH more 'subtle' then the other offerings. I've never seen 'em in RL, only in a few small pics...
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been kicking around these forums for a while, and have never heard or seen pictures of these. Anyone have more info? These are different than the "Fi-air-o" scoops, right?
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:

I've been kicking around these forums for a while, and have never heard or seen pictures of these. Anyone have more info? These are different than the "Fi-air-o" scoops, right?

Me either. I googled it, and I couldn't find any pictures of an actual one, but here is a picture of one that someone made. Gives you the general idea I guess.

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember these...but was shocked that I couldn't find any pics. They are very similar to the ones in the lower pics...but they were smoother and flowed with the lines of the car a little better. As fieroseblack mentioned, they were only for notchbacks.

Anyone have an old FOCOA Fiero Owner magazine available? There should be pics in the market section at the back.

thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something along those lines that entirely replaced the quarter window on a fastback would be pretty neat...
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To see what they looked like, Do a search for MR2 scoops. Many companies make them for the MR2.

See here: http://www.carid.com/1991-t...body-kit-304041.html

I have not seen Fiero versions in many, many years.
fieroseblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's exactly what they looked like. Only they were made for the Fiero coupes. You could either mount them on the 84 mag. vent covers or they offered a replacement vent cover in fiberglass. I guess you could mount them on the louvered vents as well. Again have not seen them for years. Maybe some of the talented glassers we have here can make them again. The nice thing is you could remove the assembly, deck vent & scoop without removing rear deck. I ran the Fi-Air-O for 20 plus years & always had to remove deck to remove scoops.

Neat walk down memory lane.

Mike Parker
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive seen them before but never understood how 'they work well'. The natural airflow to cool the engine bay is air in at the bottom and out thru those vents. Blowing air INTO the vents fights the designed flow so it will run hotter. They might work at slower speeds like in town traffic, but make things worse on freeway.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a set from an MR2 and modify them to fit. There are MANY to choose from. As Oreif mentioned above, just Google MR2 scoop:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-02-2013).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Ive seen them before but never understood how 'they work well'. The natural airflow to cool the engine bay is air in at the bottom and out thru those vents. Blowing air INTO the vents fights the designed flow so it will run hotter. They might work at slower speeds like in town traffic, but make things worse on freeway.

My thoughts as well.
Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

My thoughts as well.

I agree with these two and I also figure that is why they have disappeared.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Because in their heads they are driving Ferraris and all the air goes in the sides and top of the car to mysteriously make everything under the deck-lid awesome!
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Because in their heads they are driving Ferraris and all the air goes in the sides and top of the car to mysteriously make everything under the deck-lid awesome!

Lol quoted for truth!

FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could see using ONE on the pass side as a cold air intake, if their was NO OTHER WAY. trying to push more air under the car is silly.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only harm I could see with them is more air under the car creating lift. The little video I have seen with the string flying aren't moving much while driving. If they are to cool the engine while driving then it's only half of the engine.
pegasus1848

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pegasus1848Send a Private Message to pegasus1848Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My notch Fiero is not really much of a belly breather anymore.
The rad vents over the top and into the wheel wells.
Both sides have scoops just behind the doors.
The rear deck has a large rear facing outlet built into it.
I have tried the ribbon air flow tests on all these and all is well.
But those factory louvered vents have a really messy air pattern, some in / some out / and at times no air movement at all.
It may be different with the GT's I don't know.
Now that I think about it maybe the over the top scoops would be better because I don't want to put the motor noise right next to my ear.
Thanks for your thoughts everybody. (even the folks that thought they where funny)

[This message has been edited by pegasus1848 (edited 11-04-2013).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pegasus1848:

My notch Fiero is not really much of a belly breather anymore.
The rad vents over the top and into the wheel wells.
Both sides have scoops just behind the doors.
The rear deck has a large rear facing outlet built into it.
I have tried the ribbon air flow tests on all these and all is well.
But those factory louvered vents have a really messy air pattern, some in / some out / and at times no air movement at all.
It may be different with the GT's I don't know.
Now that I think about it maybe the over the top scoops would be better because I don't want to put the motor noise right next to my ear.
Thanks for your thoughts everybody. (even the folks that thought they where funny)

Got pics of your mods?
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where you could actually use them is if you duct them directly into the air cleaner or carb/ throttle body. But they you will need to provide alternate vents for engine bay heat to escape.
PFF
System Bot
pegasus1848

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pegasus1848Send a Private Message to pegasus1848Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Sage.

Putting more outside air into the engine bay is my goal.
The hot air escaping is not a problem at this time.
My duke is not going to be on a race track in the foreseeable future so lift in the rear is not an issue.

2.5 It has been so long since I posted pictures on here that I don't remember how, but.
The pic's of the mod's are already on my face book album "Car Stuff" I am Steve Neyens in Dubuque, Iowa.
If you where at the 30th. you already saw it ... yellow and gray with lambo style doors.
And yes it is the one that had the water pump go out in the hotel parking lot while we where lining up to go to the Indy track, I am still pissed at my car for that little surprise.

[This message has been edited by pegasus1848 (edited 11-05-2013).]

fieroseblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don’t want to start a posting war on this subject. I feel like Bugs Bunny when Elmer saws the tree limb and the tree falls but not the limb. He said “I know that defies the law of gravity, good thing I never studied law. I am not an engineer, mathematical or a member of MENSA. What I am is a retired Corporate Auto Service Center Manager who has owned Fieros since 1992.
In about 1992 I put 2 Fi-Air-O scoops or over the roof as they are called. At that time the Fiero was a 2.8L 4 speed, I mounted them on 1984 solid vent covers & removed the metal directly under the vents to make them functional. My Fiero ran 10 degrees cooler than it did with the OEM louvered vents. I ran it without the scoops & checked the math on no less than 5 occasions over the years. Same result each & other time, the Fiero ran cooler. About 2 years ago I had the car converted to a 4.9L / 4T60-E setup. It ran even cooler with the 4.9L than it did with the 2.8L. And yes I liked the looks as well. The Fiero has been totaled & the Fi-Air-O scoops gone to a friend and fellow NTFC member. I remember the Lazy C scoops were tested against the stock louvered vents & the Fi-Air-O scoops. The Fi-Air-O performed better than stock louvered and the Lazy C still better than both the others.
Maybe it’s because I am in Texas and the road heat can get well past the 100s, maybe it’s because the air is hotter. I don’t have the answer but will tell you my Fiero S/E ran cooler with them. I had functioning side scoops as well. But I had them before the Fi-Air-O scoops, so the result remains the same.

Mike Parker
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They wont control the engine temp...thats the job of the radiator and thermostat. How the air enters and exits the engine bay DOES affect the ENGINE BAY ambient temps. C4 Corvettes get absolutely NO air in or out of the engine bay except by radiation thru the hood and fenders...so it gets VERY hot in the engine bay. I had 2. Yet the engines stayed well within operating temps. One I had used a 160* thermostat and it kept there even in summer unless I was stuck in traffic where it would get hotter (more due to waterpump running slower). Idling it faster cooled it right down.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-07-2013).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more pics...

The opening on this one seems smaller then the following two...different style...

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 11-22-2013).]

pegasus1848

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pegasus1848Send a Private Message to pegasus1848Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to the Digital Alchemist for those pictures, they are actually the very ones I was looking for.
I will use those pictures to try and design my own base unit that curves up and over the top.
Thanks again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock