I must be God blessed... by AL87
Started on: 10-31-2013 09:29 AM
Replies: 13 (532 views)
Last post by: AL87 on 11-01-2013 05:35 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the nut on the spindle-knuckle (what im just going to assume it is called) that was supposed to be clamping down on the
ball joint-finger. well the thread stripped just enough for the whole thing to just hop right off when I was halfway down my gravel driveway.

the good news is that I've replaced ALL the ball-joints and tie rods (inner and outer) AND used loc-tite, AND higher grade bolts
since this happened on the morning of my birthday this September 16th.
I have also discovered that my front shocks are going, so I'll have to replace those, and I'm going to do the struts as well sometime soon... so that can attest for my loose handling (on top of the front upper ball joints sliding around, changing camber)

not to worry, all has been FIXED. the car has been running fine and I've had no problems with it... (so far )
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And this is why I have replaced all suspension components on both my Fiero's when I first got them. I haven't seen a Fiero out there (over 100K miles) that didn't have some kind of major/minor suspension looseness or noise clunking issues!

Did you replace with Rodney's stuff ?
Kit
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about your misfortune, glad it happened in your driveway.............

However, your problem was not caused by the nut loosening, it was caused by not having the ball joint completely through the knuckle. Notice the scallop in the ball joint stud? That scallop allows the cinch bolt to fit through the knuckle and hold the assembly together even without the nut.

You assembled the ball joint/knuckle incorrectly.

Hopefully your customers are also blessed.

Pay attention!
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

You assembled the ball joint/knuckle incorrectly.

Hopefully your customers are also blessed.

Pay attention!

You can tell that from his pics? Seems to me that he said replaced everything after this happened...
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Between the last pic in his post and his description, yeah.

The bolt retains the ball joint stud, if the nut loosens the ball joint/knuckle will not separate.

The bolt must be removed.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 10-31-2013).]

XThirtySeven

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad youre safe and everything is manageable.

The real question however is.... Do you have the DIY for the 4 Wheel Steering Upgrade you did on your Fiero?
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

You can tell that from his pics? Seems to me that he said replaced everything after this happened...

I replaced everything AFTER this happened. XD so far so good! I got that "cheapo" ebay kit, seems to be holding up!
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AL87

2578 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Originally posted by XThirtySeven:

Glad youre safe and everything is manageable.

The real question however is.... Do you have the DIY for the 4 Wheel Steering Upgrade you did on your Fiero?

Lol no, (and because your picture is from the back to the future movie)
My flux capacitor lost power mid-flight during the conversion to take off, and I landed like that* XD
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AL87

2578 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Between the last pic in his post and his description, yeah.

The bolt retains the ball joint stud, if the nut loosens the ball joint/knuckle will not separate.

The bolt must be removed.

no one could tell from the pictures but the nut literally stripped thread with the bolt, and slid just enough for the knuckle to loosen up grip on the ball joint finger, and enough so for the ball joint finger to rub on the bolt to where it started to wear, and eventually popped out of the scalloped part of the finger.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

no one could tell from the pictures but the nut literally stripped thread with the bolt, and slid just enough for the knuckle to loosen up grip on the ball joint finger, and enough so for the ball joint finger to rub on the bolt to where it started to wear, and eventually popped out of the scalloped part of the finger.

That would be extremely impressive... got anymore pics of the wear on the removed bolt or ball joint stud?
PFF
System Bot
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to use a cutting disc to remove the bolt, and I cut right through the damaged area, and I didn't take anymore pictures. and I tossed all the useless hardware after, seeing as how its only good for scrap now.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

I had to use a cutting disc to remove the bolt, and I cut right through the damaged area, and I didn't take anymore pictures. and I tossed all the useless hardware after, seeing as how its only good for scrap now.

I had to read the other post a few times to understand what happened. It seems you are saying the bolt came loose allowing the stud of the ball joint to move up and down slightly and thus wear a spot on the bolt enough to allow the stud to pull free of the hole. If this is the case, I noticed the rear anti sway bar and wonder if it had anything to do with this. Not so much the bolt coming loose of course, but the extra pressure from the force of the rear bar, or if it would have happened regardless of the rear bar. Would also think it would have been making some clunking noises before the pieces parted ways.

Kevin.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

I had to read the other post a few times to understand what happened. It seems you are saying the bolt came loose allowing the stud of the ball joint to move up and down slightly and thus wear a spot on the bolt enough to allow the stud to pull free of the hole. If this is the case, I noticed the rear anti sway bar and wonder if it had anything to do with this. Not so much the bolt coming loose of course, but the extra pressure from the force of the rear bar, or if it would have happened regardless of the rear bar. Would also think it would have been making some clunking noises before the pieces parted ways.

Kevin.

you are quite right, Im not sure of the sway bar making more stress though.

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 11-01-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock