Adios to an 88 GT Turbo by BillS
Started on: 10-30-2013 05:35 PM
Replies: 14 (557 views)
Last post by: BillS on 10-31-2013 05:09 PM
BillS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 1987 GT back in 1990 to fill the gap until I could find a 1988 GT, which is what I was after, but they were pretty thin on the ground. I'd been waiting until GM got around to offering a turbo model, but despite a couple of prototypes, they never got around to that before cancelling the model.

I finally found an 88 (had to be manual trans) and I owned two GTs together for awhile, the 87 and the 88, so it was interesting to compare them. Notwithstanding better shocks and sway bars that I'd stuck in the 87, the 88 suspension was far more capable, especially once I'd also modified it.

The order for the Miller Woods turbo conversion went in as soon as I got the 88 and ZI drove it for a couple of years before acquiring another engine to use as a base to build a modified engine specifically for turbo use, with a stroked crank, forged pistons, a custom cam, a lot of work on the intake system (but I kept the Fiero plenum despite it's inherent limitations) and more boost pressure - up to 13 psi, which I figured was the point of diminishing returns without an intercooler, which was too hard to locate without compromising the car.

I drove the thing that way all the way to well over 200,000 km., and have just passed it on to a new and enthusiastic owner who will no doubt enjoy his own adventures with the car. It is quite quick - low 13s in the and 1/4, under 5 secs. 0-60, and was always dead reliable. That's the way they should have built them from the factory! Has anyone else owned their Fiero for 23 years.....?

I won't be without a Pontiac sports car to play around with as I own a 2009 Solstice GXP coupe that I have also modified to suit my wants - around 350 bhp, and a modified chassis. I also have a 3.4 in the Jamaican bodied 1956 MG, so I'll still hang around here from time to time, but wanted to take my leave for awhile. Thanks for all the interesting talk, and Thanks to Rodney for excellent parts service.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by BillS (edited 10-30-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wspohn, say it ain't so!

I'm also a double dipper, love my redline and my Fiero's. two totally different cars. I am looking to trade up from the redline to a coupe in the near future.

Nice collection you have, I'm sad to see the Fiero go though.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you'll be back... your going t find that the solstice is not all its cracked up to be like I did.
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

Has anyone else owned their Fiero for 23 years.....?

Well, not 23 years....how about 29 years. I've owned my modified 84 since spring of 85. Will most likely keep it another 30 years.

------------------
84 Fiero SE, Custom Hybrid (Updated to 88 wiring throughout, t-tops, V6, 5spd, Fastback, IMSA style whale tail/decklid with vents, T/A fender vents, Aus Scoops, Extractor Hood, Formula bumpers, Held coil-overs, Mr. Mikes Seats, Hidden Antenna, Low-profile headlights, Custom Pearl Blue Paint, 17" ADR Sokudo wheels)
84 Fiero DGP/IMSA Widebody (Resurection on hold again...will it ever be finished? Probably not, at this pace )

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...have just passed it on to a new and enthusiastic owner who will no doubt enjoy his own adventures with the car. It is quite quick - low 13s in the and 1/4, under 5 secs. 0-60, and was always dead reliable. That's the way they should have built them from the factory!

Did you sell it to someone from the Lower Mainland? If so, it would be great if they'd bring it out to Pitt Meadows and autocross it when the different car clubs are putting on these events.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Did you sell it to someone from the Lower Mainland? If so, it would be great if they'd bring it out to Pitt Meadows and autocross it when the different car clubs are putting on these events.

Yes, the new owner lives in Vancouver and I've told him about events around here.

As for falling out of love with the Solstice or finding it less than exciting, if it were going to happen it would have happened in the 4 years that I owned both cars. It didn't.

The problem was that I owned 10 cars and really need to cut down the fleet as I just don't have time to enjoy them all. Anyone interested in buying a 1965 Jensen? How about a 1969 Lamborghini?
IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PK has all of his cars turn to junk, then blames the car or P/O.

Enjoy your Solstice.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, the new owner lives in Vancouver and I've told him about events around here.

Great, I'd love to see it in action at an autocross event... and see if I can beat it.

Bill, with the fleet of nice cars you own, have you ever autocrossed locally?
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Great, I'd love to see it in action at an autocross event... and see if I can beat it.

Bill, with the fleet of nice cars you own, have you ever autocrossed locally?

I used to autocross in the good old days before I started road racing - we are talking 1970s!

After I started building race cars and running Westwood, Seattle, Portland etc., I never found time nor need to run around parking lots, although I'd occasionally do an event connected with one of my car clubs - old MGs or whatever. The race cars weren't set up for solo events so no joy to run them in solo (too much front roll stiffness = too much push for slalom).
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

you'll be back... your going t find that the solstice is not all its cracked up to be like I did.

Seriously, I'm going on my 5th year this November. I drove mine from Northern NY to Brownsville Texas, drove all over continental US and it's never given me a problem.

I do prefer my Fiero to my Kappa, however, the Kappa is not a bad car, it has some design flaws like any other model but it also has it's perks. The Solstice coupe is in a class of it's own in terms of rarity that's for sure.

I understand you're still pissy about your car but maybe you just got unlucky or it wasn't the right car for you. Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you. I hate when people disrespect the Fiero but you keep bashing the Solstice every time the name pops up somewhere and it's getting annoying.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After I started building race cars and running Westwood, Seattle, Portland etc., I never found time nor need to run around parking lots...

The 450' x 1000' paved skid pad at Pitt Meadows Airport can hardly be called a "parking lot", but I catch your drift.
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 450' x 1000' paved skid pad at Pitt Meadows Airport can hardly be called a "parking lot", but I catch your drift.

Heh... I see what you did there.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, cute.

In fact I've run at WW2 air strip circuits that could be called large slalom courses - dead flat and laid out by cones - not the best sort of road course but OK if that's all you've got.

I ran 1 1/4" F and 1" R solid bars and somehow I don't think that much roll stiffness would be your friend on a slalom. And nothing wears tires like a concrete course!

The modified Fiero both went and handled better than the stock Solstice, but once you set up the Solstice chassis, it out handles the Fiero as well as out accelerates it, except in a 0-60 run - no beating the Fiero weight distribution for that.

Not sure what some have against the Solstice, but I've been racing and building my own cars for 40 years and can tell you with some confidence that they are a well put together package, and, barring getting one of the real lemons that always exist with any car, they offer a lot of fun for an enthusiast. They handily won the SCCA T2 class, which says a lot. Some of the guys are getting between 400 and 500 bhp on the street with good mileage.

I've always thought that a turbo Ecotec engine in a Fiero would be rather interesting.....
ChuckLS1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like that Solstice. They only made around 1200 of the coupes. I would hang on to it. I used to have a base and a Solstice GXP. Wish I did not have to get rid of it.

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
2000 Grand Prix GTP

BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Solstice parked between a Lotus V8 and a $330K Ferrari - it doesn't look that out of place!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock